Spain - Teruel Near Valencia

PETERA

Camping La Fresneda

http://www. campingla. ..om/INGmarcs. htm

This is an unusual site, but was voted most beautiful campsite in europe by Cool Camping 2009.

It is run by a Dutch couple (Jet & Joost) who offer you a drink on arrival, with very good english, and a small gift upon departure. Two years ago they gave us a small bag of almonds, and this year a small bottle of the local olive oil. They also lend you a very useful A4 folder with all the local places of interest as well as walks, cycling routes and drives.

It is a small terraced site with only 28 dirt pitches, shower block which is kept immaculate, no pool but what they call a garden atrium with a plunge pool (which attracts wasps) and a building with settees for reading etc. There is a bar where they do pre ordered fixed meals 3 nights a week plus snacks on request.

A very nice touch is that if you order bread and small croissants by 11pm, they deliver it to your pitch by 9am in time for breakfast.

Due to its rural location not many caravans seem to find it although a few motorhomes turned up it is manly tents. The pitches on the upper level are bigger and probably more suitable for caravans. There were a few children there but its not what we would call a child friendly site, although the owners have two young children.

It is open from 1st April till 1st Oct, but were told they don't take bookings but to ring up a couple of days before to find availability. There did seem to be a lot of one nighters probably due to there not being many sites in the area. Although there is http://www. campingso. ..rts/?idlengua=3 but I cannot comment on that.

We planned on staying 3 nights, but ended up staying for eight. We made good use of the A4 folder and tried to visit all the beauty spots, be warned some of these are 2+ miles down dirt tracks but well worth the effort. I was glad I had a 4x4 although I didn't need to use it. Being the second half of August a lot of the rivers were drying up but you could still swim in most. Would think the waterfalls are impressive in spring.

It is an undiscovered area of Spain where not many speak English, but some of the villages are really picturesque and well worth a visit. The nearest "big town" is Alcaniz, where you can find a large supermarket, and maybe worth spending the day at seeing the sights.

Here's the pics

ORF2009-4036.jpg

Our pitch

ORF2009-4038.jpg

The site

ORF2009-4041.jpg

View from van

ORF2009-4052.jpg

Garden atrium

ORF2009-4047.jpg

La Fesneda

ORF2009-4054.jpg

Local lake

More pics available but limited by board

If I think of anything else I'll add it later

Pete

Thanks for the review. I have moved the thread into the Site Review section.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Peter, A very good report, I have kept this for a future reference to visit a varied Spain more than the straight to destinations. Excellent pics, Thanks.