Problems With Fiamma Caravanstore Zip Awning

peterjohn

I have just posted my feelings about my 5 year old Fiamma, because the stitching between the roof section/awning storage bag/awning channel cord has perished, I am faced with the prospect of the roof section becoming detached from the caravan in the near future.

Riversway Leisure who I bought it from have basically said "tough" but Trading Standards

say different, "Fit for purpose" means it should last more than 5 years so I am going to persue on a repair or replace basis.

If there are any caravanners out there who have one of these, then check the stitching and see if is O. K. if not you are going to have trouble later on. Peter :angry:

Edited by peterjohn

Hi

we purchased one of these two weeks ago. .. What exactly has happened, what is the guarantee period, i would have thought 5 years is quite a long time and would therefore expect some wear. is that not reasonable?

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

If it needs repair and you get nowhere with a claim I can recommend this firm.

http://www. triopair. com/index. htm

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi there, The law as it stands says that an article must be "fit for purpose" Trading standards will tell you that you actually have up to 6 years and I would have thought that such an expensive awning should last more than 5 years. The Issabella I sold to buy this Fiamma was 10 years old and in perfect condition. Having said that I know that with the roof section being on the 'van all the time, a certain amount of U. V. would affect it. In view of that fact it should be quite clearly stated that the canopy should be removed after each use. The selling point of the awning is its ease of use, you can't say it's ready for use anytime, then say you must pull it down every time you go home. Do you get my drift? Peter :wacko:

Hi

we purchased one of these two weeks ago. .. What exactly has happened, what is the guarantee period, i would have thought 5 years is quite a long time and would therefore expect some wear. is that not reasonable?

Hi Tony, As you only just bought yours you will not have the problem. Where the bag is stitched to the canopy roof/awning channel cord, you will see that there are two rows of stitches over the whole length. What has happened is that the yarn/cotton/nylon/whatever that was used to stitch has dissintegrated. peter :)

Edited by peterjohn

Thanks for that Lefthand down, I am hoping that I will have sucess by just threatening them with Trading Standards.

Peter :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Lefthand down, I am hoping that I will have sucess by just threatening them with Trading Standards.

Peter :rolleyes:

Peter

Let us all know how you get on

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

Yup. Trio Pair are excellent for repairs and awning alterations. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

John.

Peter

Let us all know how you get on

Thanks lads, Yes of course I will let you know what happens, there has to be someone else out there with similar problems, it's only by airing these faults on sites like these that things get sorted. Peter :)

• 9 years later...

Hi I am on my second caravan store awning and I have the same problem I had with a previous version.  I have trouble fully extending the side poles and clicking them into place as they as the first fixing hole is located at exactly the same distance as the awning length.  You have to pull the awning very hard which is difficult for my wife while I pull the side pole as hard as possible.  It’s lucky in]m a strong bloke but I wonder if I’m missing something in the way I erect it ?

31 minutes ago, David Gullick said:

Hi I am on my second caravan store awning and I have the same problem I had with a previous version.  I have trouble fully extending the side poles and clicking them into place as they as the first fixing hole is located at exactly the same distance as the awning length.  You have to pull the awning very hard which is difficult for my wife while I pull the side pole as hard as possible.  It’s lucky in]m a strong bloke but I wonder if I’m missing something in the way I erect it ?

You could if you want. drill another hole of the same size slightly higher .

that will make it easier to put up and release a little stress on the awning.

done this a few times  with tents and boat canopy’s but never had any problems.

Edited by Sonar

1 hour ago, David Gullick said:

Have you got the horizontal pole level or are you trying to do it with the pole slanted down?

I always lift the pole to the level and click it into the first hole then after getting both ends done I lift it again to get into the second hole and then lower to get a slope on it which further tightens it.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Thanks Ian ill try that. I can only get as far as the first hole anyway but getting it level first might be worth a try 

I’m moving to another site tomorrow and will try I’ll let you all know 

• 3 months later...
On 24/07/2021 at 10:01, David Gullick said:

Thanks Ian ill try that. I can only get as far as the first hole anyway but getting it level first might be worth a try 

I’m moving to another site tomorrow and will try I’ll let you all know 

Lifting the awning up higher is the way to do it as the additional length allows the button to click into place easily

All I have another issue with my caravanstore awning.  Having used it three times the pus button locator button on the legs has become permanently depressed and I can get it out rendering the awning unusable.  I think this is a design flaw as my father in law used to have the same problem and due to his age couldn’t resolve it.

The supplier of the awning has said my only option is that Fiamma would send me a replacement part to change it myself.  

bearing in mind it’s not the most accessible and I’ve only had it since May this year I feel a bit hard done by ?

A bit of lubrication may help.

You might need to push the button right in a run a file round the hole to remove any burrs.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

On 24/07/2021 at 09:20, IanV8 said:

Have you got the horizontal pole level or are you trying to do it with the pole slanted down?

I always lift the pole to the level and click it into the first hole then after getting both ends done I lift it again to get into the second hole and then lower to get a slope on it which further tightens it.

Ian

Me too.

Edited by hawkaye