"floating Roof"

slouch

Just bought a 2008 coachman pastiche 470/2, had a lovely week in Norfolk in it, but could hear a creaky noise on the ceiling when it was windy, when we got home, had a look on roof, when pressed on it some parts "floated" others seemed solid, should we be concerned? the local dealer we bought it from said it's normal, but we are taking caravan in for them to look at.

Our Avondale's roof was always a bit wobbly. The dealer said it was like that so it could expand and contract in the heat. Never had any problems with it. This Bailey's roof is solid !!

My '07 Sprite Alpine/2 (Swift group) is the same, as though a sheet of plastic has been loosely placed over the roof as a cover then sealed around the edges. It is water tight although when the van is dead level water does tend to lie in dipped areas of the roof. I always store the van sloping slightly forward to allow rain water to run off.

Hi,

The term " floating roof" means that it is not fixed to the roof framework, the sheet of alloy that the roof is made from is only fixed around the edges and around skylights, vents etc. We have had a number of vans ( all of our vans ) with this type of roof, on a hot morning as the sun comes up it can be -er- quite noisy what with the creaks bongs etc and that is on a Lunar clubman2011 model ! If you look at the roof with a good hot sun shining on it the undulations are quite something however look at the roof on a very cold day ( frost/ice ) and you will see it a lot smoother, in other words the alloy expands a lot when heated, hence the noise--it has its uses, can tell what the weather is like without opening my eyes ! :P Cheers david 1220

P. S.= dont think you have anything to worry about,- as i said our £20000 caravan does it !

i contacted coachman about the roof,spoke to a very helpful man, Mr Baxter,he told me not to worry, it is normal. ....so all's well. ....i hope! many thanks for all your comments, Susan

Archived