Muddy Groundsheet

chezzer

hi, the last time i went caravanning it was really wet and as a result, i would enter the awning in the morning to find loads of worm casts coming through the breathable groundsheet resulting in an unpleasant mudding awning. can anyone advise what i should do to avoid this in the future. the site i stay is lovely but very particular and the groundsheet MUST be breathable. any ideas?

can't help with the wormcast avoidance, but I can recommend a wonderful way of washing the groundsheet. After a long journey through eastern Europe and several storms, not to mention hundreds of stray cats, we arrived at a lovely site on the beach in Greece. On a warm sunny day we took the groundsheet into the sea with us. Cleaned it up something wonderful!

yes, i think i must have a loose weave groundsheet and a muddy one at that!! left it muddy but dry. liking the sea dip option however i seriously considered getting the man at the hand car wash place to zap it with his water squirter!!

We use this : http://www. towsure. com/product/Breathable_Outdoor_Underlay_Footprint_2_prod

under this : http://www. towsure. com/product/WeaveTread_Deluxe_Outdoor_Carpet_prod

slows the mud down !

. ..... sorry can't get linky thing to work properly !?

hi, the last time i went caravanning it was really wet and as a result, i would enter the awning in the morning to find loads of worm casts coming through the breathable groundsheet resulting in an unpleasant mudding awning. can anyone advise what i should do to avoid this in the future. the site i stay is lovely but very particular and the groundsheet MUST be breathable. any ideas?

Same thing happened too us in france a couple of years ago and the mess was horrendous ended up haveing too change pitches. Had too take it too the site car wash area and hose it down. We've never used a breathable ground sheet since.

peter.

We "inherited" a breathable ground sheet. Have used it twice & I suppose it's OK but I ask "why use one?" unless you like the fitted carpet look. Admittedly they may reduce the amount of dirt that enters the 'van but the dirtier the conditions, the dirtier the ground sheet when you have finished! And where are you going to put it for the homeward journey, in the the 'van? Also how heavy will it be? It's surprising how many of these things, which seem such a good idea in the showroom, become a liability in use. I wouldn't mind but a breathable ground sheet doesn't even do what a ground sheet is supposed to do; keep moisture out.

My advice?; use a small piece by the door & use what mother earth provided elsewhere, grass!

And if you must use one, as I am told to, lift it daily. I do alternate halves on alternate days. The Caravan Club ask for this for ordinary groundsheets & believe me the breathable type aren't much better when it comes to damaged grass.

Kampa do a cheap beathable underlay. Works really well. We have a softex full awning groundsheet which has the 'wormcast' problem. So this summer used the underlay below and it worked a treat. After 2. 5 weeks on a muddy pitch in France no wormcast and a clean awning carpet. The underlay was muddy but after drying all the mud just dropped off. Its light, very breathable and doesn't hold much moisture. What grass there was before our 2. 5 weeks survived fine as i didn't bother with lifting.

Hi

To be honest as a campsite owner I would rather not allow groundsheets at all but I do, as long as they are " Breathable",......but the majority of my visitors do not bother with them and the pitch is in 100% better condition for the next arrival than the one that has used a breathable groundsheet.

They also say that it is actually nice to feel the grass between the old toes on a nice sunny day when sat in the awning for some shade!!

This is all well and good as long as the pitch is well drained and does not pool with water when it rains, thankfully here at La Bucaille that is what you get, a nice level pitch with no pooling of rainwater, but I have stayed at some sites where once the rain starts unless you have a fully waterproof tarp it is a nightmare,it is like stepping out into a mini lake. .....!

There are various types of "Breathable Groundsheets" out there, however the loose woven type do let an enormous amount of worm casts through and can actually make matters more "dirty" than by using none at all. If you can source the close woven type that a lot of our tent visitors use you may find the problem does not exist.

But better still try not using a groundsheet at all, and look after the pitch for the next campers, and if we all took on the same mentality perhaps we would all arrive to find pitches in better condition.

Regards

Mark

I usually lay my muddy breathable groundsheet on the drive at home and attack it with hosepipe and yard brush.

Works for me.

John.

Never use any sort of groundsheet, just a doormat by the caravan entrance so we can stand on it to remove muddy boots. Much prefer bare feet on grass.

Regards, Mike