Truma Water Heater

SimonT

Does anyone know if the Truma water heater can detect if there is no water in it and not run the electric element. After returning home I inadvertantly left the electric switch for the water heater on, and had previously drained it. Will I have done any damage?

Good chance you have burnt out the element. Have you tried refilling the heater and seeing if it still works.

No it cannot detect if there is water in the tank, but it does have an overheat cutout which will activate and cut the power.

To reset, remove power from the van, fill the tank with cold water and leave for 15 minutes.

Reapply power to the van and switch on the heater and see if ti heats the water after about 20 minutes.

If it does you are lucky and have avoided a burn out.

If not, then a new element is required.

Brecon's right. I did it myself once, and got away with it. Since then I have fitted an illuminated switch where we cannot miss it.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to just try it out and see

You don't need to remove from hook-up - just switch off and leave for half hour. You can get away with making this mistake once or twice, but not much more! :rolleyes:

If I drain-down I also switch off the mains power at the fusebox. It is under the same seat.

On arrival at the hookup I close the draintaps, turn on the mains switch and check the water heater switch is off.

Once this is done filling takes place. ................ In my van all these controls are within 2 feet radius.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having problems with my Truma 6002 GAS/Elec water heater. Works fine on Gas but not electric. All the right lights are on and I believe full of water but will not heat the water. The ECB's have not tripped and the water system is working fine. Tried reseting the over heat red button but problem persists.

Any suggestions

I am having problems with my Truma 6002 GAS/Elec water heater. Works fine on Gas but not electric. All the right lights are on and I believe full of water but will not heat the water. The ECB's have not tripped and the water system is working fine. Tried reseting the over heat red button but problem persists.

Any suggestions

There is a reset button under a sliding panel on side of unit. ...

The way i read this is that you had disconnected the hook up and were towing the van home? So, at the point of disconnection, the heater element no longer had a supply. So no harm done :-)

Unless you drained the water, then some time later, disconnected?

Archived