Bypass Hot Water Tank In Pegasus During An Overnight Stop

Russ-Stephens

Hi everybody

During an overnight stop, I would like to be able to use the pump, but stop the hot water tank from getting filled. Is this feasible?

Regards

Russ Stephens

I don't think that it is easily possible. But if you only want cold, why not use a 4 or 6ltr container filled with water (a big spring water bottle)? We use such a bottle for our drinking water all the time, as do many of the group that we camp with.

Dave

Edited by Fidget

This should be possible. If its the same as in our Unicorn, there is a connector just behind the pump that feeds the hot from the output of the pump. As standard this connects with a straight connector but this may be able to be changed to an isolation valve (or you could use an adaptor and use a 15mm domestic one)

Hope this helps.

Colin

I've often wondered if this can be achieved. My theory is that to fill the hot tank you have to open up the hot taps in the van so, if you only open the cold taps you'll draw water direct from the source to the tap, avoiding the water heater? Haven't tried it yet - anyone know if this works?

If you don't open the hot taps you will still get some water in the hot water tank but it will be nowhere near full. The incoming water compresses the air in the tank until it is the same pressure as the water system.

Don't forget to make sure you cannot accidentally switch on the heater if you haven't filled the tank!

In our Unicorn the hot tank fills surprising full without opening a hot tap. As it happens with the Alde heating it doesn't really matter.

Clamping the hot off is an option but an isolation valve is a better long term otpion.

Colin

Just a word of warning.

If you make any alterations or changes to the water system, you will invalidate the warranty on the system as a whole, so any problems after and they will be your responsibility.

The same applies to changes or alterations you may do to other parts or systems in the van.