Tow Balls

GT60

Hi we have an alko tow ball and want to tow a Standard trailer also.

Do we need to change tow balls in order to do this?

Thanks

Bailey GT60 540/6 and Santa Fe style 2010

Private Parking charge notice's are a Scam. Never pay a private parking ticket, ignore it.

Hi we have an alko tow ball and want to tow a Standard trailer also.

Do we need to change tow balls in order to do this?

Thanks

No, the Al-Ko ball will fit anything. Its only the neck section that is slightly longer.

Brian

Depends, in my mind.

Do you have an Alko hitch on your van?

Is your trailer hitch greased?

I swap towballs if I'm pulling my trailer so as to not contaminate the Alko stabiliser.

For the sake of 5 mins, I figure its easier than having to clean / replace the pads.

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

Surely its easier to clean and degrease the ball?

However nothing wrong in changing the ball although I doubt if many people have a large enough spanner and torque wrench to do it.

Brian

I am with you on that one Brian.

Moving all the vans round on our site (as I do) with the tractor and with all of them having AL-KO or similar friction hitches fitted and then having to move my builders trailers that have good old greased hitches, it would be impossible to keep on swapping the hitches over, so I clean the ball each time and it only takes seconds to do, furthermore if you kept swapping the hitches over it wouldn't be all that long before you would be well advised to change the bolts because of metal fatigue.

Thanks for the replies i will get some more brake cleaner from work to clean the hitch

Bailey GT60 540/6 and Santa Fe style 2010

Private Parking charge notice's are a Scam. Never pay a private parking ticket, ignore it.

According to ALKO brake cleaner or other solvent can be used to clean the ball and stabiliser 'cup'. We have found that solvent based thinners works best - brake cleaner is OK, but you can still get creaking, use thinners and creaking is very rare! Happy caravanning! :)

dani1.png.612d6e01077fc019922e7ab4766586f5.png

Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 (2015) towing Adria Adora Danube (2013)

LFLWS.png.e8d3e7541fd366f848642c52fd56294d.png

Caravan & Motorhome Servicing & Repairs in Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Another vote for 'clean the ball'. I tow a mobile hearing testing unit Monday to Friday which needs the ball to be greased but keep a pack of Tesco's disinfectant wipes in the back of the car and when pulling the caravan just clean the ball down until no more grease is present. Works a treat.

(No need for the 'disinfectant' bit - just that they are quite handy to have in the car anyway).

(No need for the 'disinfectant' bit - just that they are quite handy to have in the car anyway).

you must have the most hygienic ball in the caravanning world LOL :lol: :lol:

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

Another vote for 'clean the ball'. I tow a mobile hearing testing unit Monday to Friday which needs the ball to be greased but keep a pack of Tesco's disinfectant wipes in the back of the car and when pulling the caravan just clean the ball down until no more grease is present. Works a treat.

I would check if they have lanolin in them if so you could be leaving the ball as slippery.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I would check if they have lanolin in them if so you could be leaving the ball as slippery.

They're fine - leave it squeaky clean and slightly creaky. And always handy for when the site proves to be about 5 minutes further than the dog is prepared to handle. .. :(

Some years ago we were on a farm CL where a number of caravans were also stored in a barn. The Farmer had a small sit-on mower/tractor, that had a greasy towball at the rear that he used for a small trailer or caravans with a wet hitch, and a clean Al-Ko one at the front that he used to move customer's dry-hitch caravans out of the barn with.

I suppose, as I have suitable socket and kept the oriignal, non Alko tow ball, it is no great shakes to change. Especially as it only happens once in a blue moon.

2003 Volvo V70 2. 4 gas guzzler.
2011 Bailey Olympus 534.
Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me!

Simplest yet -2 tow cars 1989 Mk1 Pajero with greasy ball for allotment/livestock transporter [raise our own pigs] trailer and the Honda CRV for Alko on Van .

Two 4X4 s Phew will have to watch out for the greens chasing me :D . Could reduce to one 4x4 the pigs would love it on the sofas, but the wife wouldn't be so keen :lol: .

Keep wiping those balls in the meantime!!

Can you fix a Dixon Bate tow hitch to your car? if so with two plates you can just swap the towballs over which would be the quickest way

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto