Types Of Storm Straps

oldowl

i'm a rank novice when it comes to full size awnings, so would welcome any advice on strapping it down for extra security in windy weather

i have seen a few on sites that have 'storm straps', are these essential pieces of kit ?

some i've seen are like big, flat bungee's that attach to the awning like guy ropes and other types that appear to go over the awning roof like a big tie down strap, which is the most effective ?

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

Be very careful using the strap type that goes over the canvas as it can wear the canvas away. Better to use the anchor type that attaches to the poles and goes down the front leg and is secured using a very strong ground anchor. Isabella use this type.

I agree with the above, those crossing the roof can wear the canvass over a period. In the short term, they can be extremely noisy too. If your awning does have specific fixings for storm straps, then buying the manufacturers branded ones would be the way to go, but the Isabella ones will pretty much fit any awning, and as you can run them down the side of each pole, the pole takes the strain with a vertical load and therefore your chances of damaging either frame or awning are minimal. Dont be tempted to use the hooks on the sun canopy, the frame isnt made to take that sort of stress there.

Steady as a rock, 60mph gusts, awning never moved. Also had a storm prop inside holding the roof pole near to the van. Storm straps are the clip on type with a spring at the end and a big steel peg. In strong winds keep checking your pegs, makeing sure they are still in and secure. The mud flaps were also pegged down stopping some of the wind getting into the awning. I should say, my poles are steel have seen aluminium poles bend and snap. :lol:

CCCBCCRallySettle-1.jpg

Edited by Czech connection

I use the type that goes over the roof, with

seat belt sleeves to prevent any chafing.

Mind you I used it for two seasons with

no evidence of chaffing on the same awning

If you find the storm strap bouncing up and down or vibrating in the wind put a few turns into it and the bounce will stop.

The twist means the wind is trying to blow the strap up and down at the same time so it stays still. B)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I got storm straps after that first lot of wind earlier in the year and was also advised to get the 3 that attatch to each pole and hook onto a big metal peg that's hammered well into the ground. Thankfully after Hurricane Katia my awning was still standing yet first time it was almost down.

Compass Shadow 1988