Cabinet Table Top Unstable

springtime

The table top on the front chest of drawers irritates me as when the table is extended (folded out) the sliding bolt on the right hand side does not do its job properly.

It still allows the left hand side (whilst looking at the front of the unit) to move slightly therefore making it a little unstable.

I was thinking of putting a further sliding bolt on the left hand side to lock it into position.

Any thoughts?

What bolt. ...Ours hasn't got one. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

My sliding bolts are flat and held by a screw in small knob. It drops down because it was loose.

I unscrewed the knob and removed the flat sliding part. I bent it very slightly and put it back. It now grips the holder.

Does your engage properly with the top?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

What bolt. ...Ours hasn't got one. ..

Looking at the unit, the bolt is on the right hand side, it locks the sliding top in position for travel & when the top is folded out to enlarge the table top.

There's not bolt on ours. ... Does your table top slide out from under the top piece?

There's not bolt on ours. ... Does your table top slide out from under the top piece?

Nope.

Pictures attached:

They look the same as mine. I can't see the section of the bolt. If it is flat then they are the same as mine.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

They look the same as mine. I can't see the section of the bolt. If it is flat then they are the same as mine.

The bolt is round not flat.

The bolt is round not flat.

I was going to fit a sliding top conversion

and do away with the hinge

Yeah,

Thought about that but I resent paying out for it, recon I could do the same or better but I'd love to have a look at one or the plans first.

Edited by springtime

That bolt has been added by someone. .. it isn't factory fitted.

The screws don't look the same colour,

We looked at 4 Solaris's before buying ours, none had bolts fitted. ...

Edited by JanandJay

So what keeps your table top steady when you use it?

Edited by springtime

if there was no bolt here, an accidental push on the table top and it would go through the front window. ...it happened to us. .

I'm thinking here that there are some units fitted with different drawers. ..

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as our van is still at the dealers, following a mishap. So I can't show any pics. ...

Springtime. .. your pics look slightly like ours, But you have only shown them from the bolt side view. ...

Ours have 2 drawers. ... Then a handle where you pull the extended table top out. ... The top piece drops into place extending the " table top" slightly. ...

Once it's dropped down it doesn't move, unless you lift the top piece up. .. Then you push the extended piece back in. ..

Any chance you show some photos from a different angle. ..

if there was no bolt here, an accidental push on the table top and it would go through the front window. ...it happened to us. .

It wouldn't. .. Because as you pull the extending piece out, the back piece drops down and stops it. ....

You have 2 pieces of wood on top of each other. ... You pull the under neath piece out and the top piece drops down to secure it. ...

I'm thinking here that there are some units fitted with different drawers. ..

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as our van is still at the dealers, following a mishap. So I can't show any pics. ...

Springtime. .. your pics look slightly like ours, But you have only shown them from the bolt side view. ...

Ours have 2 drawers. ... Then a handle where you pull the extended table top out. ... The top piece drops into place extending the " table top" slightly. ...

Once it's dropped down it doesn't move, unless you lift the top piece up. .. Then you push the extended piece back in. ..

Any chance you show some photos from a different angle. ..

It wouldn't. .. Because as you pull the extending piece out, the back piece drops down and stops it. ....

You have 2 pieces of wood on top of each other. ... You pull the under neath piece out and the top piece drops down to secure it. ...

JanandJay

By the sound of it, I think that you may have a modified unit.

On the standard unit the table top slides out and the table top hinges up and back in its self.

The bolt is required to stop the table sliding backwards into the window.

I believe that this is a standard fittment in most caravans.

I'm sure that more modern caravans may have better designed units that slide out but I believe that the Solaris 1 Limited edition were all fitted initially with the same unit as mine.

There are places that do modifications that just allow the table to be extended by sliding the lower leaf out from the upper leaf - an example of this is http://www. convertaflap. co. uk/home .

However, this does not sound exactly the same as yours as it would seem that the back leaf of yours drops down to lock the sliding leaf.

I am a little puzzled that you have previously seen 4 other Solaris 1 Limited Edition caravans with units similar to yours.

Was this at a Lunar dealer as Solaris 1's are few and far between.

JanandJay

By the sound of it, I think that you may have a modified unit.

On the standard unit the table top slides out and the table top hinges up and back in its self.

The bolt is required to stop the table sliding backwards into the window.

I believe that this is a standard fittment in most caravans.

I'm sure that more modern caravans may have better designed units that slide out but I believe that the Solaris 1 Limited edition were all fitted initially with the same unit as mine.

There are places that do modifications that just allow the table to be extended by sliding the lower leaf out from the upper leaf - an example of this is http://www. convertaflap. co. uk/home .

However, this does not sound exactly the same as yours as it would seem that the back leaf of yours drops down to lock the sliding leaf.

I am a little puzzled that you have previously seen 4 other Solaris 1 Limited Edition caravans with units similar to yours.

Was this at a Lunar dealer as Solaris 1's are few and far between.

Investigating this further it looks like you may have a more modern unit. What date is your Solaris? Mine is an April 2006.

I've found that this subject has been discussed before on the forum http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/46424-convert-a-flap/

It's interesting to see that somebody has already done a no cost conversion using the original piano hinge.

The problem is that my one does not have a piano hinge but has 2 chrome polished inserted hinges instead.

I'll have to go through my workshop bits, Im sure that I have some piano hinge somewhere :unsure:

We have a solar which has the bolt fitted on the right side. We use this pullout to eat off and have never had a problem,but I have not thought about the possibility of the table being pushed back against the window if not locked in the open position. I will now make sure we lock in open when eating.

Well I decided to convert it to a slide out which will make it so much easier when trying to open the cabinet drawers.

Relatively easy job, cut a piece of polished pine (scrap from an old dismantled bed) for the back which is the support for the piano hinge.

Detach the original hinges then screw the back edge of the top to the new piano hinge.

The original side bolt lines up as before so that the slide out can be fixed either in or out.

Total cost = nothing but if you have to buy the piano hing, about a fiver. :)

PS.

Many thanks to Watson(JohnG) for the original idea http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/46424-convert-a-flap/

post-43771-0-69104400-1316359402_thumb.jpg

post-43771-0-23416600-1316359556_thumb.jpg

Your 1st image is the same as ours. ... The other we have seen were 2 at Catterick caravans, 1 at Ropers at Catterick and 1 at Robinsons at Worksop. ..