Towball Height

ascsbe

I have just had a new towbar fitted to my new Xtrail Tekna. The towball appears higher than on my previous car. The fitter said he could put an adjuster plate on it but that it would be too low. I cannot hitch van up at the moment to check.

Can anyone with a Tekna that has the self levelling on it tell me the height from the TOP of the towball to the ground.

Thanks

Andrew

The towball height should be 385mm +-35mm measured to the centre of the towball with the vehicle loaded but without the caravan attached. Add 25mm to that if you are measuring to the top of the ball

http://www. nationalcaravan. co. uk/images/resources/alko_towball_guide_final_rev1. pdf

Many 4x4's have their towball set higher for extra ground clearance so the only way is a drop plate

Brian

Thanks Brian. Looks like a plate will be required.

Getting plate fitted tomorrow. It appears it is only the headlights on this model that are self levelling.

Surprised the ball is too high, my 2009 model it is too low, caravan is nose down.

On the T30 i had the caravan towed level, which i prefer, jockey wheel, cable, all have extra road clearance.

I would try the caravan on it first.

Edited by xtrailman

I know the car measuring is taken from a EU Directive 94/20 /EC but I can never understand why a towball should be measured without the caravan attached as 75kgs -100 kg added noseweight can make upto 75mm difference I should thing to some cars tow height .

Surely the dimension should be measured after its loaded and caravan attached to give a true figure of how the caravan will sit while being towed .

Dave