Movers On Gravel

I've a Reich mover and it works perfectly well on a gravel pitch - never tried going up a steep slope on gravel but it's hard to imagine such a situation.

Coachman Amara 380/2

I've a Reich mover and it works perfectly well on a gravel pitch - never tried going up a steep slope on gravel but it's hard to imagine such a situation.

Powrtouch now and Truma previously never had any problems on gravel other than one place where the gravel pitch was so deep and very fine gravel even the Landrover struggled as you just sank into it.

Hi.

I have a twin axle van with a Truma mover fitted and I don't have any problems moving the van around on gravel. In fact my drive and yard are gravel and I move the van using the mover every time I get the van out or put it away. Hope this helps.

Swift Conqueror tugged along by a Nissan Elgrand 3. 2 tdi.

Although the tyres themselves may not have a problem I did have issues with the jockey wheel embedding of soft or loose surfaces. I replaced the standard one with a wide wheel and have had no further problems.

Coachman Amara 520/4 2003

LR Freelander 2 XS SD4 2. 2 Auto Indus Silver

Border Collie and ES Spaniel (with nothing between its ears)

Probably depends on type and the depth of the gravel.

Gravel with sharp edges with lock together and support weight where as roundish gravel will not lock and will push around.

Most gravel I have ever moved our van around on has been shallow and sharp like typical site hard standings and that as always been fine.

After being sited on gravel for a while don't just operate the mover fully when ready to leave as the gravel will more than likely have stuck to the tyres and when it goes around to where the mover rollers contact the tyres it stands a chance of damaging the roller surface.

Index the wheels to the point just before any gravel meets the rollers, stop and then brush off the gravel.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Thanks - its a new-ish van and we haven't taken delivery yet.

The mover roller is steel and has a random stippled surface rather than bands or grips.

Anybody know which one it is ?

Everything else is ALKO so I don't know if they supplied the mover as well ?

Stippled as you refer to it is probably grit?

Our Reich started out with grit rollers and they lasted 4 years, gravel and freezing conditions did most of the damage.

I changed ours to metal rollers last year.

AlKo as far as I know don't make movers.

If you post a photo of it I'm sure someone on here will be able to identify it for you, usually there is some sort of info on most movers somewhere though.

I have had problems with gravel getting into the tyre treads and crunching on the mover rollers. I have the gritted type Truma rollers, so the next mover will be another style. Some years ago there was a ski plate that fitted under the jockey wheel, it would certainly help prevent it from digging in during motor moving.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

We use a lot of Caravan Clubs sites which have gravel/stone chip surfaces and have not ever had a problem with either Reich or Powertouch. As has been mentioned the jockey wheel can slide around a bit and dig in but usually OK once going in one direction. Newer caravans seem to have larger diameter jockey wheels which help as do the pneumatic type.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks - its a new-ish van and we haven't taken delivery yet.

The mover roller is steel and has a random stippled surface rather than bands or grips.

Anybody know which one it is ?

Everything else is ALKO so I don't know if they supplied the mover as well ?

Our PowrMover has rollers like that.

Volvo XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav Polestar towing a Bailey Orion 440-4.

They do and are quite expensive, but do not protrude below the chassis

http://www. al-ko. co. ...-ko-mammut. html

Brian

Thanks Brian.

Not really looked a what's around now since buying our mover in 2006.

Ours works okay on gravel but better if we use a pneumatic jockey wheel.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Have Truma mover, and also use pneumatic tyre which works fine on gravel.

Edited by susa

One of the problems with gravel, pebbles etc is they stick to the tyres (after a while) & jam into the rollers when you move, I park the wheels onto a mat & don't have any problems

its not a problem when you're moving only when parked up. I've also found that a pneumatic tyre works well

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Probably depends on type and the depth of the gravel.

Gravel with sharp edges with lock together and support weight where as roundish gravel will not lock and will push around.

Most gravel I have ever moved our van around on has been shallow and sharp like typical site hard standings and that as always been fine.

After being sited on gravel for a while don't just operate the mover fully when ready to leave as the gravel will more than likely have stuck to the tyres and when it goes around to where the mover rollers contact the tyres it stands a chance of damaging the roller surface.

Index the wheels to the point just before any gravel meets the rollers, stop and then brush off the gravel.

As said I have never had problems on gravel with my mover but after it has stood for a few days the gravel sticks to the tyre and needs brushing off just before it meets the roller or you can go forward a bit then reverse a bit and that seems to knock it loose off the tyres .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

As said I have never had problems on gravel with my mover but after it has stood for a few days the gravel sticks to the tyre and needs brushing off just before it meets the roller or you can go forward a bit then reverse a bit and that seems to knock it loose off the tyres .

Dave

I agree. I picked my van up from storage yesterday and thats on gravel. You get this awful crunching noise as the stones go through the rollers.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%