New Cassette Leaks

lottie

We have a brand new van with a brand new loo. When I tip up the cassette to carry it off to empty it at the disposal point I notice that liquid escapes from around the sliding hatch bit. Is that supposed to happen?

Is it really coming from inside or is it flush that is trapped on top in the little corrugations around the rubber seal?

Is it really coming from inside or is it flush that is trapped on top in the little corrugations around the rubber seal?

That's a good question BFM. I think it may be more than that but I'll try to check it out. Its clean and empty now so I'll part fill with water and see how much comes out when inverted.

Edited by lottie

We have a brand new van with a brand new loo. When I tip up the cassette to carry it off to empty it at the disposal point I notice that liquid escapes from around the sliding hatch bit. Is that supposed to happen?

Have you tried, before attempting to remove the cassette, leaving the flap open for several minutes to allow any residual liquid to drain fully into the cassette before closing the flap and then removing the cassette ?

Have you tried, before attempting to remove the cassette, leaving the flap open for several minutes to allow any residual liquid to drain fully into the cassette before closing the flap and then removing the cassette ?

Good advice. Taking this method further, if you want to be really sure, after you have removed the cassette slide the outer plastic flap back and mop/wipe all the residual liquid from the surface and edges of the blade seal area completely with some kitchen towel. Then invert with the outet flap still slid back and look for any signs of leaking past the blade seal itself.

Good advice. Taking this method further, if you want to be really sure, after you have removed the cassette slide the outer plastic flap back and mop/wipe all the residual liquid from the surface and edges of the blade seal area completely with some kitchen towel. Then invert with the outet flap still slid back and look for any signs of leaking past the blade seal itself.

Thanks for using the correct terminology. My post should read blade where I have written flap.

I had noticed this possible leak from my new cassette as well and was concerned about it.

Thanks for raising this topic and to those who have offered advice, which I will also try.

These forums are great !

Bob

I reckon it is common practice (and why not?) to flush loo and close the blade straight away. It will take some time for all the flush water to drip from the loo walls and so some will collect above the blade which is sealed and then leak through the non-sealed slider when tilted for carrying.

When emptying the cassette I tend to take it partially out of the small locker, and the use the blade opener on the cassette to open the blade for a few seconds, close and then off the the black water point.

This seems to eliminate any dribbles I had been having previously.

I did have a problem at one point with liquid leaking from the pressure relief valve, but that was as a result of a clump of loo roll preventing the valve from closing properly.

Regards,

Steve

This also happens with my C250 waste tank, and like many others thought it could be the residue of the rinse, but I did think that the slider was to create a seal, otherwise I can't think why it would be there.

but I did think that the slider was to create a seal, otherwise I can't think why it would be there.

Its only a 'hygiene cover'. Bear in mind that in use the blade area can be in contact with urine & excrement so this just covers it over when removed.

If you havn't done it already, lubricate the seal with Thetfords lubricant. It makes a big difference to the efficiency of the sliding shutter. I wouldn't use any other lubricant though.

I also have a problem with dribbles - but my loo cassette is fine. It could be old age as the van is year 2000 but the dribble comes from a 1946 vintage!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks for using the correct terminology. My post should read blade where I have written flap.

Sorry to be dim but what part is the "blade"? The outside bit that slides back and forth when you insert or extract the cassette or the inside bit that opens and closes when you operate the lever on the side of the pan and which is not visible when you remove the cassette?

The blade is the bit that swings over to cover the hole when you have finished. BTW. any silicone spray will do same as you would use to lubricate the awning rail. It's also a good idea to leave the blade open when you have cleaned the toilet and have got back home, it prevents the blade sticking to the rubber seal. Peter :rolleyes:

Many thanks Peter

Ah, then I was talking b*llox.

I was talking about the seal that opens and closes on the cassette.

Regards,

Steve

hi there

when you have taken the cassette out use the yellow knob to open the blade and then close it again with the yellow knob.

it closes so far but if you put a bit more gentle pressure on it you will find it lifts a little bit further and will complete the seal and will not drip as long as the blade is clean. i find this works for me.

roy

hi there

when you have taken the cassette out use the yellow knob to open the blade and then close it again with the yellow knob.

it closes so far but if you put a bit more gentle pressure on it you will find it lifts a little bit further and will complete the seal and will not drip as long as the blade is clean. i find this works for me.

roy

Thanks Roy