B+e - Passed Today!

SamP

Well chuffed - took my B+E today and passed first time with 6 minor's.

We've already bought the new van to replace our current Swift, Campbells said they would keep it for us until I pass, so we can colect it next week! Yey!

Sam

Well done!

Brill! Well Done!

My son needs to take his and we cannot find any info on what is involved, what vehicle/trailer combo used etc. . Can you help?

Well it was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

The test is based on the same test that LGV / HGV drivers take - so the standard of driving is expected to be at that level, you have to drive to a better standard than when you took your cat B test.

The test consists of:

• Five questions on basic safety and maintenance - from how to check the horn works, to how should you load the trilor
  • How to check the trailor is road worthy
  • Unhitch / recouple procedure - has to be done in the correct order, handbrake on first / off last being most important
  • Reverse procedure - reverse in an S shape into a box, rear end of trailor needs to stop in a yelow box that is about a foot wide, so good judgement needed here - you are allowed two shunts if you mess up, although each shunt is a fault mark
  • Approx one hour of on road driving consisting of M/way, duals, single, town and country

The road driving, whilst sounding easy, is actully the hardest part. You don't realise what bad habits you pick up, and all of these need to be corrected to get you to test standard. You need to be checking your mirrors at least every 10 seconds, check mirrors before accelerating, breaking and signalling.

I took my training with Myerscough College near Preston, in the end I needed 9 hours training, split into three, 3 hour lessons. They provide a suitable car and trailor, in this case a Ford Ranger pickup and twin axle box trailor. They expect you to make progress when safe to do so, and I was told several times to speed up by my instructor, which means I was towing faster on some bumpy roads than I would with the caravan, for this reason I am glad I did not use my van for the test.

To give an idea of costs, each three hour lesson was £99 + an addtional £99 to use the car and trailor for the test, and the DSA test fee of £120 - so it's cost me about £520 to get my licence, ouch!

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sam

Well done the whole of Europe is now your oyster.

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

Very well done, the test standard is extremely high with observation being a major component that would have many failing. The reverse is a real bottle tester, might be 'only a lane change into a box', but needs thought about nose and tail swinging over the lane lines and that was just in a coach - nightmare with a caravan.

Well done on passing 1st time. Its not easy. :)

It took me 3 attemps to pass my HGV 1 twenty odd years ago. It was very hard then. The reversing in an S was hard to master. But in 20 years as a HGV driver I have never had to reverse in an S in a real life situation.

But now every 5 years I have to pay over £100 for a medical to keep my class 1. The govenment love to get money from you any way they can.

Well done Sam, must be a great feeling.

Took my test just about when most of the horse droppings were disappearing from the roads so I acquired the towing qualification 'a while back' by default - thankfully.

Good luck towing the new van.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

It took me 3 attemps to pass my HGV 1 twenty odd years ago. It was very hard then. The reversing in an S was hard to master. But in 20 years as a HGV driver I have never had to reverse in an S in a real life situation.

Never had to reverse in an S but have had to reverse into plenty places that an artic really shouldn't be going. But always got it in, might take a few shunts but got there in the end - all part of the fun :)

Well done. What was the towed unit?

I recently saw a driving school offering tuition for the BE test using a very short, twin axle, horse box which must be an absolute pig to reverse.

Well done - glad i passed my test that long ago i didn't have to do this one!!

Enjoy your new found freedom to join us in the larger van brigade :D

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Archived