Propane Heaters

mechs

This year i'm hoping to do some winter caravanning. Right now on the pitch there is EHU but it is switched off over the winter which is when we switch to the battery for using 12v stuff.

We'll be using the gas for cooking but the gas heater in the caravan has been taken out by the previous owners so we currently use a small electric heater. I was going to get the gas one replaced but with mine being an older caravan I don;t think it would be worth it giving the cost.

So does anyone know if you can get a gas heater for in a caravan, freestanding? I've seen the small camping portable heaters but they all take the small butane cans of gas and I assume these would freeze in the middle of winter so was hoping someone could reccoment a gas heater that takes propane or something? Had a look on ebay but not much joy.

Compass Shadow 1988

Don't even think about putting a freestanding gas heater in!

The old one, that has been removed will have vented the gas

fumes to the outside of the 'van. the one you are thinking of will

not. PLEASE read the posts on people killed this year by CO

poisoning.

Sorry to be blunt, but we really don't want to hear about another

camper/caravaner death.

Marc

True, stupidly, despite reading the CO poisoning posts I don't actually know why I never thought of that. My fault :ph34r: Suppose I justassumed it ok cos I used the gas for cooking etc it would be ok.

Actually OH suggested one of those free standing butane ones, the old ones you get that take the big blue bottle but right away I said no then due to CO.

I fo have a couple of 12v heaters, just thought they'd be too quick to drain the battery but will use them and the kids can have a hot water bottle at night!

Compass Shadow 1988

http://www. cambsfire. gov. uk/firesafety/99. php This is very clear information but I am not saying you should use this kind of appliance. They suggest you could with care.

See the notes. ..Ensure that there is adequate ventilation when using the appliance.

. .....................Exercise particular care with small heaters designed for use when camping.

See footnote Further information and related links

Be safe. ......

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

http://www. busyoutdo. ..er/p406#tdesc_2

Does this qualify as a safe heater for a caravan? Does it run on Propane? Could it be fed from outside by an external fitted propane cylinder?

It can be wall mounted so it is safer than a free standing version.

I can't answer these questions.

Is this safe?

http://www. busyoutdo. ..tor-heater/p248

The Blue Flame features a double safety cut off system which stops the flow of gas to the heater if the flame fails to light or if the percentage of carbon dioxide in the air exceeds 1. 5 per cent.

Got to agree with posts below. It's gas or Mains 240volt . ..........You need to consider a refit of a caravan gas fire with a flue as before.

Edited by Lefthand Down

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thanks, had a look at the links. The first ones are the ones I immedietly said no to. Think it's just because I remmeber when I was a child everyone saying how dangerous they were. I'll probably just stick with the small 12v ones. I liked the one in the last link though. Nah fire's always something that's terrified me so I usually am wary

Compass Shadow 1988

I would have thought that any useful level of heating for cold weather would drain a battery in a few hours at best?

eg 500watt = just over 40 amps at 12 volt.

Edited by Easy T

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/home/product_37593/hotspot_blue_flame_heater_-_grey_door. aspx

This is another version but it looks very hot at 4. 0kw max heat output.

It has 3 heat settings but may be to hot for a small space.

• Safe?.....................Blue flame technology : Cuts off the gas supply if the flame goes out or the percentage of CO2 in the air exceeds 1%

Proper caravan heaters are freely available from caravan breakers,quite cheap.

Fitting a fire is easy enough.

Then you just need a qualified gas fitter to check the instalation.

Your local caravan dealership could do this for you.

Bryan.

The only safe type of heater is going to have some form of exhaust flue to the outside for the burnt gases with a heat exchanger providing the warmth to the van. Freestanding heaters will need both a good source of fresh air to feed the heater and some way for the burnt air to exit.

Without the flue the only way it could be safe would be to open the roof vents which would then allow most of the warmth it generates to escape as well so is fairly pointless. You also mention kids so the idea of an open heat source in the confines of a caravan bothers me. About your only option would be a warm air heater such as made by webasto, propex and others. These are separate modules with isolated inlet and exhaust ports which blow warm air into the van space. It might be possible to route its exhaust through your original hole in the roof and they are quite effective. The main advantage is they can sit under the floor and as a complete system would be easily removed when moving on. They are available to run on propane and deisel.

At one time most ambulances used to have Webasto heaters fitted and it was the norm for the coachbuilders to remove them from end of life vehicles and fit them to new ones as they were so reliable and effective.

Why would the site switch off the EHU over winter?

Have you enquired if it could be left on?

Regards,

Steve