How To Keep Your Van Smelling Nice & Fresh

skint_eastwood

We all know the distinct "caravan" smell which is a musty smell but is there something you can put in it (air freshners etc) or do you have a special method to keep it smelling nice always - let me know.

Thanks in advance

:rolleyes:;)B)

I'm a tad puzzled, my van doesn't smell musty it smells well fairly neutral really but definately no mustyness. I don't do anything special just keep it clean with fairly normal products and a bit of polish :)

My van is 99-2000 (unsure what year, will find out sometime), so with it being a bit older there is the usual caravan smell with it being unused for periods of time. It's not damp and its not a bad smell just wondering how you keep a constant fragrance in er'. I would say the newer vans smell like new and I hope to upgrade in a few years, I haven't used mine yet and won't till next year.

Gave our old van a lick of Febreze. .. Used spray Flash with Febreze then used the air freshener. ... Was smelling as sweet as a rose when we sold her. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Are you referring to the sink/waste pipe smell you get sometimes if you don't swill the out convoluted pipes properly ? This smell goes away if you soak the pipes with Fenwicks Fendox.

Im lucky to be able to keep my van at home. Regular airing, using a low watage heater on the cold wet days and using a damp attractor which turns the crystals into water in a container are all useful. Also use fabric freshener on the upholstery and leave the plugs in the sinks. Its 19 years old and as fresh as a dasiy and most importantly still dry!

Are you referring to the sink/waste pipe smell you get sometimes if you don't swill the out convoluted pipes properly ? This smell goes away if you soak the pipes with Fenwicks Fendox.

I like fendox too :) I put some down the drains every time we use the van, also clean the fridge sink etc with it -_-

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Yes mine has no damp - dry and clean as a whistle and it's just the smell you get when you need to air it. I will take the advice of heaters, Febreze and I will steam clean the seat cushions and I also have Auto Glym upholstry cleaner which smells mighty fine.

I'm still puzzled :huh: mine is a 2000 model and there is no musty or stale smell in it at all, honestly it just smells . . well of not much at all really lol unless I've just polished it. :)

I know the smell you mean as mine have all been older carvans. Not a musty or damp smell, don't know what it is really. It doesn't bother me now but I still like to hang up a car air freshener and sometimes at night light an oil burner

Compass Shadow 1988

Hi

I spray the carpets now and again with "1001 novac" - it freshens them up a treat.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We all know the distinct "caravan" smell which is a musty smell but is there something you can put in it (air freshners etc) or do you have a special method to keep it smelling nice always - let me know.

Thanks in advance

:rolleyes:;)B)

I have also had this problem with our 2005 van which is also dry as a bone (meter shows 0% every where) 3 days ago I used Oust country air,spray on the curtains & upholstery & am delighted to say that all trace of the musty smell has gone & no sicky sweet smell replacing it

We all know the distinct "caravan" smell which is a musty smell but is there something you can put in it (air freshners etc) or do you have a special method to keep it smelling nice always
I believe the small you refer to is usually associated with older or little-used caravans, and the solution is often just to use it more. More use, equates to more ventilation, through windows and door, but also by forced air through the various vents as the unit is towed along. Combine this with regular cleaning of all the little nooks and crannies, and providing there is no damp ingress, all should be smelling sweet again before too long. By all means use normal air freshners after, but remember that some will only mask a smell, not absorb it.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks in advance

rolleyes.gifwink.pngcool.png

I know what you mean, it is a very specific smell, I wouldn't call it musty, more of a mixture of chemical smells from the carpet / & construction of the van.

Mine comes from under the the double bed which is an area that does not get much airing.

It's definately not damp as I have run a damp meter over the entire van. I thought that it may have been the awning that tends to spend its life there when in storage.

Next week I think i'll lift everything out of the storage area and clean the carpet under there and air the matress.

Make sure that all the air vents are not blocked. For example you should feel a draft at floor level, under the fridge. Remember, just like under the floors at home, lack of ventilation results in dampness, mould?rot & musty smells.

Don't waste your money on dehumodifier kits. I had one that I used during a six month storage period, and yes, when I returned, the container of crystals had become a container of water. I was pleased & then I reflected on the fact that my van was well ventilated and there's an awful lot of moist air in Somerset in the winter!

As I said, just keep the vents clear.

No smell in mine even when left all over the winter (6 months) . A caravan has vents in the floor and vents in the walls/roof so it should have a flow of air continuously moving through .

Are you sure nobody has blocked the vents ?

Dave

• 2 years later...

Update - 2 months after I bought the caravan (Christmas) I discovered the skylight was leaking slightly. On inspection of the outside roof I found it had been sealed before and not too well I might add. A friend let me put the van in his shed for a few weeks and we took all the skylights off and resealed with CT-1. There were some bubbling around the skylight (inside) which I scraped off so I now have the problem of filling these and trying to find how to match paint to hide them. Anyway I recently went to a carvan dealer who inspected inside the cupboards with a damp meter and it showed 90% damp where the walls meet the roof is soft. Theres also small water drops running from a window on the same side. How can I remove this damp and stop it getting in again? I just want to sell it now next year to upgrade but I have to be honest and say its damp but who would want a damp van? I suspect there is water getting in on the outside rim of the roof. I have a bottle of Creeping Crack Cure which I will use shortly.

Edited by skint_eastwood

Thanks in advance

rolleyes.gifwink.pngcool.png

The best way to keep a caravan smelling "fresh" is simply to use it as often as possible. I have never used any air freshening products in our 'vans, as I prefer good old fashioned fresh air, and there has never been a musty smell in any of them.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.