Ferry Vehicle Specifications

Having never taken the caravan on a ferry before, I was wondering about the length of the caravan when booking, is there any flexibility?

My caravan is 7. 055 meter which is less than a cigarette length over 7m.

Do I put 7m or 8m ? The difference for the cigarette length is 60 quid. I am allowed up to 5m with the car and that's only 4. 35m. Is that taken into account.

Thanks very much for any replies

Depends on the ferry operator. We travelled Dover to Dunquerque with DFDS and got a package price for "car and caravan up to 12m". Our car is approx 4. 45m and the shipping length of the caravan is 7. 18m, so total within the 12m, but other operators calculate the car and caravan length/height separately (Brittany Ferries springs to mind). Don't think Eurotunnel have any restrictions, but not sure how the cost compares.

As others have said it depends on the company - most seem to work with a standard price providing the unit length is less than 12m (our van is 7. 12m). But I've never seen anyone measuring them (sods law suggests that the day you chance it is the day they decide to check!) so I would say 7m and keep the £60.

Have crossed with a number of different operators over the years and have never had a problem, nor has addition of a roof mounted cycle carrier. If you book with the CC they will have details of your outfit, so it may prove a tad more difficult, but if you don't book through them i wouldn't worry.

M

and we have never been measured yet, so just say 7m.

We were measured once, along with other caravans, on the Hull / Zeebrugge (perhaps Rotterdam) ferry, some time ago. It surprised me and I posted on it at the time.

They put a tape along the ground beside the car and caravan. They were probably looking for 'chancers' who were well out of line on their shipping length. All a bit silly really as it was a weekend and caravans were travelling free.

Perhaps there was a limit on the total outfit length for the free caravan offer, but it didn't stop them measuring every outfit, even mine with a small 2 berth Rialto in tow.

Gordon

I think if you use the longer crossings then length may be measured- and may be quite strictly monitored. However, I don't think that the odd 1 cm is going to make a difference via P and O or DFDS on the short crossings. After all your tow hitch (rubber bush) may extend or contract to much less than that depending on your braking technique!

never been measured in over 30 yrs using ferries.

even hull,

don't think they could be so accurate to pick up if your a tiny bit over length.

boats would be late sailing if they checked all lengths.

cheers rodders

We travelled from Hull last year and they measured all vans. The outfit in front of us was charged extra,but this was on a Friday.

John

Have used Brittany Ferries and never been measured. So long as its only a very small amount over it won't matter, we book up to 2. 6m high even though the aerial on top makes the van slightly over this and would take us into the next price bracket.

we went portsmouth to santander last year, they have a electronic scanner as you enter the ship.

it takes a split second to read the outfit height lenth etc. we asked when parked about this they said a few mm is no problem . but they will charge over 100mm.

claydigger

Seems a good idea, but what gets me is that some companies charge extra "per metre" and that's a little unfair if you're just 100mm or so over the length. Perhaps if they introduced tiered fares per 100mm more people would be honest with the shipping length.