Replacing Waste Pipes

Father Ted

I'm thinking of replacing my waste pipes for solid plastic, rather than the corrugated stuff.

Has anyone done this themsleves? Is the pipe a standard ( B&Q etc ) diameter, or specific to caravans?

I'm thinking of the join to the corrugated pipe running down from the sink, or even, if I take the solid pipe into the van, the join to the sink itself.

I was going to route all three outlets to one pipe going into the waste container. Could this pose problems?

Any advice gratefully received.

Can't give any info on the pipe size, but consider siamesing the wash basin and shower, but have the sink drain separate. That way, if you're on a CL (etc) that permits grey water into the hedge, you can happily let the very dilute shower/face dirty water run away, but collect the much more offensive sink water (well, ours is!) in a waste container for disposal elsewhwere.

The shower has to be on a separate outlet to the sinks. I believe this is the case because if the wastemaster is around the same level as the shower tray then the water from the sinks may choose the easiest option which would be back up the shower tray rather than out to the wastemaster!

Ian

you dont want it too ridged so some shock assorbencey may be needed as you travell down road you may find leaks and leaky joints so some conveluted pipe would be wise.

The shower has to be on a separate outlet to the sinks. I believe this is the case because if the wastemaster is around the same level as the shower tray then the water from the sinks may choose the easiest option which would be back up the shower tray rather than out to the wastemaster!

Ian

That is correct, but with a waste outlet costing under a fiver perhaps fitting another is an option.

I have replaced the standard corrugated pipework on several 'vans using the rigid push-fit pipes. These will marry directly with the sink and hand basin outlets, and by incorperating a 'U' bend the pipe can be taken to the rear of the sink cabinet before dropping through the floor. It may be necessary on some layouts to use a 45 degree bend to kick the pipe clear of the axle. Joining the two sinks into one outlet is fine, but do not link to the shower tray, unless you want the washing up water in the shower tray. Given the slow waste water flow rate from the shower, the original pipework is OK to keep, however if the underfloor runs sag with the weight of water, the horizontal sections can often be slieved with a slightly larger rigid plastic pipe. Also the shower fitting is often a 'pig' to get to.

Finally, try to position the waste point as near as possible to the axle line, as this will always be at the same height, even on sloping ground. As a finishing touch, perminently connect a short length of stright pipe to an elbow fitting. By removing the 'O' ring from the other end of the elbow, this assembly can then easily be temporarily pushed over the outlet pipe to direct water into your waste container.

Good luck,

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

OK. .some good points there which I hadn't thought of.

I like the idea of routing it to the side of the van, I was just going to take it to the existing outlets on the rear, but I'll move them.

It's no great shakes to keep them seperate, I was just thinking of one pipe into the waste, but I can make an "adapter" which fits all three thewn comes to one point.

As for keeping some flexible, that's a good point. I may keep the flexible down through the van and just make it rigid where it is screwed to the bottom, that'll allow for movement between walls and floor when towing.

Gordon: you say the push fit pipes marry directly with the sink etc. Is this a caravan size / fitting, ie. only available from caravan suppliers, or is it a "normal" size available anywhere? And. .being really cheeky, I don't suppose you can remember the diameter?

The ones I used have all been standard domestic fittings from the local DIY store.

As for the size, I don't know. 1. 5 ins, 35mm ish? You can tell I'm not a plumber - can't you?

I used rigid pipework all the way from sink to waste container, as there's enough flex in the plastic piping itself to allow for any body movement.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

. ..

Joining the two sinks into one outlet is fine, but do not link to the shower tray, unless you want the washing up water in the shower tray. ..

Interesting.

All 3 outlets on my caravan are adjacent. Using 2 T-pieces and sections of grey tube all three drain into one waste container. I have never seen or been told of dishwater in the shower and I would know as I am the official cleaner :wacko: . Is that because the join is lower than all the outlets ?

Interesting.

All 3 outlets on my caravan are adjacent. Using 2 T-pieces and sections of grey tube all three drain into one waste container. I have never seen or been told of dishwater in the shower and I would know as I am the official cleaner :wacko: . Is that because the join is lower than all the outlets ?

Yes. Linking them outside the caravan is fine as it's that little bit lower, and you don't get the same back pressure that you would from a single outlet, but from experience if they're linked inside you can get greasy bubbles in the shower tray. Not nice. ..

Gordon.

• 1 month later...

Just to resurrect this thread and ask another question.

Gordon: You say it was about 1 1/2 inch (35mm) pipe you used?

I bough some 3/4 inch ( 21. 5mm) connectors last night from B&Q and even they are slightly too wide ( but tnothing a little silicone wouldn't sort out).

How di you connect this larger diameter to the caravan sink? Or, do newer caravns have large waste outlets on their sinks?

Father Ted

I was away when you first posted this topic, but here's my comments.

I have done this job using 32mm ABS pipe and solvent welded fittings. All the components were bought in a B&Q warehouse and are manufactured by Marley.

First all 3 wastes from the 2 sinks and the shower run into 1 outlet. I have never in the 6 years using this had any waste water back-up into the shower. The waste flows far too quickly to have time to back-up. A full kitchen sink empties in about 10 seconds.

You will need to leave a short tail of convoluted pipe at the sinks and shower to connect into the 32mm system. As a connector in the 32mm system I use an expansion joint, which has a rubber sealing ring in it and is a perfect fit for the grey convoluted hose. The tails in my system are at the most 100mm long. All 3 connections are still nearly horizontal and have never leaked.

All pipes under the caravan are laid with a slight fall using pieces of timber and where the pipes pass through the floor they are sealed on top and bottom with silicone. The pipework inside the caravan needs very little support, but I had to use more bends (45 degree especially) than I thought to get the pipework to line up to the outlets.

At the caravan outlet I have used another expansion joint, into which you can fit convoluted hose, but I have made up a 90 degree elbow with 2 short pieces of 32mm pipe which diverts water into a Wastemaster.

PM me if you need more info or some pictures.

John

On mine, the termination is via a swept T, and then a 45 deg elbow with a 4" stub of pipe inserted. When setting up on site, I just rotate the elbow (and stub) through half a turn to direct the waste into the top of the Wastemaster. Works great!

You will need to leave a short tail of convoluted pipe at the sinks and shower to connect into the 32mm system. As a connector in the 32mm system I use an expansion joint, which has a rubber sealing ring in it and is a perfect fit for the grey convoluted hose. The tails in my system are at the most 100mm long. All 3 connections are still nearly horizontal and have never leaked.

Super! That answers my question!

I thought I was looking at it wrong.

Right, so 32mm under the van and either the flexi connections, or 21mm Overflow pipe from the sink to the 32mm.

Sorted now, and with the increase in pipe size under the van, there should be plenty of space for lots of water, so no backing up. I still might have a bathroom and seperate kitchen outflow, just in case I'm on a siste where the bathroom stuff can go straight into the hedge.

Archived