Carbon Filter

bivvyman

As we dont use the on board water for drinking, theres little point in having the carbon filter, i still need a filter of some sorts to stop debris etc - any ideas from anybody - hopefully looking to purchase a strainer of some sort which will screw into the filter holder

What filter system are you using? There is a firm supplying filters called http://www. filtapac. co. uk/store/product_info. php?products_id=30

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

As we dont use the on board water for drinking, theres little point in having the carbon filter, i still need a filter of some sorts to stop debris etc - any ideas from anybody - hopefully looking to purchase a strainer of some sort which will screw into the filter holder

If you are using an external pump I am not convinced you need any sort of filter/strainer, neither of my German caravans have had them fitted.

If you have an internal positive displacement diaphragm pump [sureflo /Whale SmartFlo] then these are very sensitive to debris interfering with the integral valves and inline or close coupled strainers are needed. These are normally factory fitted to these pumps anyway.

I certainly believe you are right in discarding the carbon filter unless you are prepared to change this every couple of months.

Edited by JTQ

I reached the same conclusion as you Bivvy, seemed a waste of time and it also seemed rather useless flitering my water through carbon and then have it sit in piped for weeks between trips.

As for the pump it is as JTQ says before the filter so unaffected.

My solution has been to leave the old filter in (which is probably 12 years old as my van went into hibernation before I got it). When I lay it up for winter I have in mind to take out the old one or smash out its inner carbon bit.