Unsutable For Caravans

ydda2

can anyone please tell me is a blue road sign that says unsuitable for caravans be legally inforced as i have travelled on a certain road across cayton carrs for 25 years with my caravan and now a blue sign has gone up at both ends that says unsuitable for caravans nothing has changed with the road it is only about 2 mile in length but it does mean a long detour to go round for me each time i go out with the caravan their is a 7. 5 ton limit on a bridge on this route but it has always been there, i used to drive a tractor and artic trailor on this route so size is not an issue.

I would of thought the residents have complained to the local coucil to have the road stopped to caravans. I find it normally happens with roads where councillors or MPs live or larger properties for some unknown reason . ;) Strange how its just aimed at caravans and not also HGVs .

Dave

What is the shape of the sign as this is important

Circles give orders, triangles warn and rectangles inform.

it is a rectangle i ask as i have looked on the web at the highway code but as you say it is an inform but does that mean you can still be done for ignoring it or not insured for useing it if out happened

it is a rectangle i ask as i have looked on the web at the highway code but as you say it is an inform but does that mean you can still be done for ignoring it or not insured for useing it if out happened

As it is to inform then you can still use it but at your risk

Would check with your insurance company about cover in an accident

thank you for your reply's i will ask my insurance company how i stand as it saves going through a busy village with cars parked on both sides plus an industrial estate to get to the dreaded A64 or over to the M62

i believe the sign on sutton bank says caravans prohibated not unsuitable

If the sign is within a red circle like this, then towed caravans are prohibited from using that road.

post-113-0-95931200-1316041068_thumb.jpg

If the sign is white on a blue background like this, then you are advised to use an alternative route.

post-113-0-88668500-1316041080_thumb.jpg

In either case the restriction is likely to be because of a width limit, hairpin bend, steep gradient, height restriction, narrow bridge or ford etc.

Recently, in Germany, I noticed signs on the autobahn which consisted a blue rectangle with a truck with line through passing a car and times 1900 - 0700. These seem to be a recent introduction because I never seen them on previous trips. The standard red circle truck "no overtaking sign" is still in use on other sections so, presumably, the blue signs are advisory not compulsory. Perhaps used as evidence in the event of an incident?

Recently, in Germany, I noticed signs on the autobahn which consisted a blue rectangle with a truck with line through passing a car and times 1900 - 0700. These seem to be a recent introduction because I never seen them on previous trips. The standard red circle truck "no overtaking sign" is still in use on other sections so, presumably, the blue signs are advisory not compulsory. Perhaps used as evidence in the event of an incident?

they have similar signs on the A1 south of chester le street for HGV's. ....sometimes they

even take notice of them!!!

If anyone can make it to the top of sutton bank with a caravan in tow they will be my hero. It's bad enough in just a car.

There's a sign on Sutton Bank which shows how many HGVs, which are not banned on the road, have been stuck in the past twelve months, blocking the road.

There's a sign on Sutton Bank which shows how many HGVs, which are not banned on the road, have been stuck in the past twelve months, blocking the road.
As you can see, the number changes.

SuttonBank.jpg

Is that really one every two or three days?

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Sutton Bank really is that hard on loaded vehicles . I would never contemplate the uphill run with a load and those who descend with a loaded vehicle must use self cleaning undies !!

The incline is 25%, now in old money that's about one in five.

From the number of broken down HGVs I wonder if one in five are the odds of you making it unscathed :rolleyes:

I've towed the outfit up some pretty steep inclines in the past, the old Porlock hill, and Edge hill come to mind, but it's only for the well prepared, and remember to use the same gear going down as you would going up.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The incline is 25%, now in old money that's about one in five.

From the number of broken down HGVs I wonder if one in five are the odds of you making it unscathed :rolleyes:

I've towed the outfit up some pretty steep inclines in the past, the old Porlock hill, and Edge hill come to mind, but it's only for the well prepared, and remember to use the same gear going down as you would going up.

Gordon.

According to this document I suggest that it would be 1 in 4 in old money.

they have similar signs on the A1 south of chester le street for HGV's. ....sometimes they

even take notice of them!!!

On certain stretches of the A1 they have them. They have one just off the Bowburn junction southbound. ... As it's ona incline and lorries used to try and overtake each other at the same speed. ... Do they really take any notice?

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

These signs were on the autoban that you join when crossing from France at Strasbourg in 1993 to my knowledge

According to this document I suggest that it would be 1 in 4 in old money.
That will be proof that one of us can't do arithmatic - That will be me then. Oops! 1:4 it is.

Sorry,

Gordon.

Archived