New To Caravanning With A Few Questions

nikkipaul

Hi guys im completly new to caravanning and bought my 1st caravan a month ago and ive already been away every weekend since !

i have a 1985 abbey cosalt twin axle 5 berth and im trying to find what model it is but havent had much luck so far.

It has a plate by the door but doesnt give me much info.

It says cosalt and a serial no. and year it was made and weight (1250kg gross)

if anyone can help i would be very helpful.

Also not sure what tyre pressure to run the tyres are 145 13" with a max 44 psi.

Lastly as for towing im using my 2,7 tdi nissan terrano which feels a bit under powered?

Im thinking of getting a tow bar fitted to my bmw e39 530d manual which has twice the power and torque.

Any cimments welcommed guys

Paul

In terms of towing, make sure you are within the weight limits of both cars. The BMW may be more powerful, but am I right in thinking its also lighter?

If the caravans Max weight is within limits then go for it!

As a guide to tyre pressures - use this formulae :

Maximum laden weight of van (Kg)

_____________________________ x Maximum pressure of tyres (PSI) = Approximate correct tyre pressure (PSI)

Maximum load of tyres (Kg)

Check dates on tyres look for 'DOT XXXX [3505]' - the numbers in the box are 4 digit if 2000 onwards, 3 digits if 1999 or older (although you shouldn't see any 3 digit ones now a days as it is illegal to have a tyre on a road vehicle over 10 years old!).

The first 2 digits are week, the last 2 digits are year.

This DOT code is only on one side of the tyre - so you may have to remove wheel to see it.

If the tyre is over 5 years old - replace it! BUT always use 8ply tyres NOT 4ply - safety first!

As for the tow car - check the vehicles maximum towing weights AND the weight of the towcars themselves - as a guide the heavier the towcar the safer the outfit !

You will probably find that giving the car a damn thorough service & checking tyre pressures (some cars should be at different pressures when towing) can make a huge difference!

Also when was the caravan last serviced? Could brakes be binding? Bearings tight? Hitch damper not not sliding correctly?

All these make a diffence and a service is worth the expense even on an old caravan!

The BMW E39 is a great car and makes a good tug with the 3ltr diesel. Yes if it were me I would get a towbar fitted. Weight will not be an issue as yoour van is only 1250kg.

One last point - watch your speed as this unit will fly!

Hi guys thanks for your swift responses ive done the calculation which is gross weight of caravan 1250kgs x 44 psi the max pressure of each tyre and thay eqauts to 55,000 ? I take it you knock off the last 3 zeros lol so it will be 55 psi ? can that be correct considering the max psi ia only 44 psi.

What have i done wrong ?

Im confused

sorry guys

please help

any idea about the model of the caravan ?

Hi guys thanks for your swift responses ive done the calculation which is gross weight of caravan 1250kgs x 44 psi the max pressure of each tyre and thay eqauts to 55,000 ? I take it you knock off the last 3 zeros lol so it will be 55 psi ? can that be correct considering the max psi ia only 44 psi.

What have i done wrong ?

Im confused

sorry guys

please help

any idea about the model of the caravan ?

You need to divide the caravan weight by the Maximum load of tyres (Kg) for the formula. As for towing I used to tow a 1300kg Avondale with a 2. 7tdi Terrano Automatic and although it isn't the most powerful car I never felt like it was struggling.

having towed with both a 2. 7 tdi maverick then a terrano both towed a single axle 1600 kg caravan also numerous rally cars on twin axle trailers if you find the terrano underpowered have the car checked, the mass airflow meter,s are prone to failing and the power drops. i never felt the car labouring that much with the weight on the back and always kept up with traffic etc, although we now have a 3. 0 crd grand cherokee and " well it does not lack power" :D jim

For tyre pressures see this thread. You need to take account of the number of tyres (4 in your case).

An MTPLM (gross weight) of 1250kg for a twin axle van seems very light to me, especially on an older van.

Jimbo

PS. It might be worth getting the unladen van weighed at a local weighbridge - usually about £5. Then add about 200kg for stuff you will be carrying. See it that fits within 1250kg.

Archived