New To Site And Advice Needed

Ladywell

Hello - we would like to buy a suitcase generator and would like advice on a budget model that would be enough to power TV and as a backup for the batteries. Husband thinks we need 2000 kw but have seen Kipor 1000 kw ones at affordable prices. Any advice welcome please.

Hello - we would like to buy a suitcase generator and would like advice on a budget model that would be enough to power TV and as a backup for the batteries. Husband thinks we need 2000 kw but have seen Kipor 1000 kw ones at affordable prices. Any advice welcome please.

Hi Ladywell,

Welcome to the site.

Genies are a particular hate of mine. ... could you not consider 2 batteries or Solar Panel instead.

Sorry, it's just they way I am.

Welcome still stands though!!!

G.

Thank you - any views on 1000 kw 0r 2000 kw?

depends what you want to use but for most people the 1k are adequate

Edited by basilfawlty

Hi Ladywell,

Welcome to the site.

Genies are a particular hate of mine. ... could you not consider 2 batteries or Solar Panel instead.

Sorry, it's just they way I am.

Welcome still stands though!!!

G.

Hi and thanks for the welcome - I thought that suitcase generators were very quiet - we just need one for our trip to the Welsh Pony sales next week (which is noisy and busy). Now you have thrown a spanner in the works! :D I was just learning a bit about generators but know nothing about solar panels - how do they work and how much are they?

Kipor are Chinese. Not unlike a Honda.

IMHO the Honda EU10i and EU20i are quieter, better made, more reliable and unfortunately more expensive.

The 1KVA one is fine to run a TV and charge your batteries through a mains battery charger.

Hi and thanks for the welcome - I thought that suitcase generators were very quiet - we just need one for our trip to the Welsh Pony sales next week (which is noisy and busy). Now you have thrown a spanner in the works! :D I was just learning a bit about generators but know nothing about solar panels - how do they work and how much are they?

Before you get into Solar Panels. .. how long are you at the Welsh Show?

I have 2 x 110Ah batteries (each cost under £100).. one on the caravan one in the boot of the car being charged as we drive around.

If you charge both in the garage on a smart charger (not at the same time leave one on the van at all times) then you have the maximum power in each.

I know at Rallies and County Show people do use gennies and as most are using them no one has a problem.

My issue is when we are on a tranquil CL no EHU, no loos, no showers etc etc. ... and I have had to listen to the drone of a gennie all day long as Mrs caravanner watches day time TV!

I'm sure for the Welsh show you'll be fine with a gennie . .. but a 2nd battery will enable you to do up to a week easily, with TV a couple of hours a night, even without charging. Just go easy on the number of lights you have on.

Once you've got past multiple batteries, Gennies and before you get into Solar Panles. .have a look at LED lights. .. 1/10th the drain of the halogen bulbs!

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

Although I would agree genny's are not the best on a nice, quiet normal caravan site events and shows tend to be a bit different. Many stall holders need them to run things at the show and so there is usually the steady drone going on most of the day/evening. Providing you shut it down during the night I would not think you would be out of order to have your own.

The specs include a sound level for them in dB's, don't worry about what it means but the lower the better and the Honda ones are the lowest. Unfortunately they are by far the most expensive as well so you are going to have to make your own mind up. If the only mains load you need is the TV then 1KW should be sufficient. If the TV is mains only then to avoid the noise late in the evening you will need an inverter.

If you are setting up for a bit of touring as well then the better option is solar panels and second batteries. This is not going to upset others on sites and can extend your time off hook quite considerably with a bit of care.

Hi, I have used the Kipor campingmate 1300 tc for 5 years now. I use it twice a year at airshows or motorsport events and rely on electric hook up the rest of the year. I picked it because it has a digital output so there is less chance of damaging fragile caravan electrics. 1000 watts is plenty, it even runs my wifes hair straighteners and hairdryer. I get loads of comments about how quiet it is but I have seen the Honda equivalent and that is even quieter. All in all I am very happy with the purchase - it has never let me down. There is a used one on ebay at the moment:

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Kipor-1300tc-Signwave-Invertor-Generator-Honda-/190576089592?_trksid=p4340. m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D160638445333%252B160638445333%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2768688705035597476

Dave

Turn up next to me with a Generator and you would not be popular!

The noise carries, so soon it would be the whole site on your doorstep

(unless it was a generator manufacturers convention)

Solar panels, wind generator (although these "thrum")extra battery,

charged in the car boot.

Thank you all for advice. Can I just make it clear that, normally when we go away, we like to stay on quiet CL sites and wouldn't dream of using a generator. The Welsh Sales are held on the Royal Welsh Showground and there are literally thousands of vehicles from horse boxes, trailers, caravans, tents etc. It is very busy and noisy - very often with folk arriving in the middle of the night if they have travelled a long way. So as you can see one small generator is not going to make any difference!!

I wouldn't like any of you to think we irresponsible caravanners - we are the total oppposite and prefer the peace and quiet. :)

Thanks once again for all your help and suggestions.