Water Freezing

homerdog

When ever we went away in winter with the motorhome, we didn't have that much trouble with water freezing. It would be okay down to about -2/3c and not be available first thing when down to -6c but, the tank was well off the ground. What is the best way to go about things with a 'van? Inboard tank or insulate the 'roll and pipe. G.

Personally, I've always just put a blanket over the Aquarolls - never had a problem!

Either will work fine.

An onbeard tank will be at hthe temperature of the caravan interior, although there can be cold traps under lockers, behind cupboards etc, so be aware of any pipe runs that still could freeze.

If you are using an Aquaroll, it will not normally freeze completely, providing it is just off the ground, but an insulating jacket is always an option, however the feed pipe from the Aquaroll to the caravan is likely to freeze. The simplest way to avouid this is to bring it inside during the night, but insulating it with foam pipe lagging will work well too, if the pipe is to be left connected outside.

During really cold spells it is also a good idea to use a bucket for the grey waste water, so if this does freeze, it can still be tipped out as a block if necessary. A wastemaster or similar frozen solid is not what you want.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We caravan all year round and use the Aquaroll (even though we have an inboard tank - which is a pain to fill!); have vanned at -7C with no problems - stick 2 pieces of 1x1 wood under the barrel and wrap it in a water tank jacket (not forgetting to wrap the supply pipe as well!!)

We caravan all year round and last year sometimes in -14 C when we visited the family down south over Christmas and in February.

Forget buying a so call 'insulation cover' from you caravan dealer, they are thin and next to useless and expensive.

We use propane gas and the external water container is covered with a Central heating boiler jacket the thick ones available from say B & Q, lasts longer, much better insulation and cheap!

The water pump pipe we lag with pipe lagging (the large size) that you use at home, cheap and replaceable and it works fine, fixed on with cable ties.

We also if it is freezing when we are setting up put the hot water bottle next to the boiler 'inside' the caravan for a hour during filling/heating start up, (we drain down when we leave the caravan) but just incase there is any water in the pipework!!

Hope this helps

Mike

We camped a couple of times in December last year when it hit minus 15.

We filled the aqua roll with hot water (from the shower block) wrapped an old double quilt around it. We were very suprised to find the water was still quite hot even 8 hours later. It didnt freeze up overnight, even though some of the pipes under the bed did.

I find bubble wrap or an old sleeping bag with the aqua roll raised off the ground on blocks of wood do the trick.

We caravan all year round too. Water freezing has never really been an issue and I have never covered the aquaroll or lagged the pipes. A 30 or 40 litre aquaroll which is full would take a very long time and would need extreme temperatures to freeze solid. Sure you get the surface freeze over but inserting the pump cracks that.

As a precaution we take the pump part off and store in the van overnight, making sure we have water in the kettle etc beforehand.

If you are using an Aquaroll, it will not normally freeze completely, providing it is just off the ground, but an insulating jacket is always an option, however the feed pipe from the Aquaroll to the caravan is likely to freeze. The simplest way to avouid this is to bring it inside during the night, but insulating it with foam pipe lagging will work well too, if the pipe is to be left connected outside.

During really cold spells it is also a good idea to use a bucket for the grey waste water, so if this does freeze, it can still be tipped out as a block if necessary. A wastemaster or similar frozen solid is not what you want.

Gordon.

I agree Gordon but it does depend on wind chill. Last year our neighbour twice had an Aquaroll freeze up. We were OK.

Also if you use your waste master forget about using the water trap. i. e. don't have the hose going down into the top water trap. I made this mistake and the waste water froze in this small reservoir and as we were not using the caravan for washing etc what little water did go in gradually froze up the pipe and popped a joint under the sink. No damage but definitely a bucket and outlet pipe above for me next this year

We spent 6 weeks living in the van last year while we were having work done during the cold snap (-13) last November/December.

It took a while, but the Aquaroll did freeze, although we didn't have good lagging, just a couple of towels.

We then used the onboard tank which was much better, but because the pipes from that tank to the taps travelled behind the cupboards, which have a vent for the oven, they had a tendency to freeze overnight as well.

I suspect if we had had temperatures better than -10 we would have been fine with the onboard tank.

Regards,

Steve

Archived