Swift Warranty.

tom a

We bought a Swift Merlin dealer special on 14/07/09 and are very pleased with the van.

Problem 1.

We have had throws on the front seats from new but on returning from our holidays last week we noticed that some of the stitching on the top of the seat base has come undone and also one of the seams is coming apart. The van has only had light use.

I rang a very helpful lady at Leisure Furnishings,I've dealt with her before,to explain the problem,and she advised me to contact my dealer who would put a warranty claim in and then I could arrange with her to have the seat cushions collected. Brilliant I thought.

Rang my supplying dealer and the gentleman said,"oh no. Furnishings aren't covered by Swift warranty. Only 12 months".

I wasn't very happy with him as you can imagine and told him so. He is supposed to be contacting Swift and phoning me back but I don't hold out much hope of this.

I've looked through the warranty booklet and can find no mention of upholstery not being covered for the full 3 years.

My first questions are.

Has anyone had to put a claim in on a Swift warranty for seat stitching coming apart? How did you get on?Is it written anywhere in the warranty that furnishings are excluded?

Problem 2.

Took the van in for it's 2nd service last week to a different service centre,NCC approved,had a lot of trouble with supplying dealer on first service. Got a phone call from them today saying they have found a surprisingly large amount of damp around the front windows. They said it's very unusual for a 2 year old van to have so much damp and think it could of been damp on the 1st service and not picked up and it's gradually got worse.

What is my next step to get this problem sorted? Do I have to contact my supplying dealer bearing in mind I have no faith in them at all and will never use their service centre again, or can I contact Swift direct?

Sorry for going on a bit but I feel a little better for typing this out.

Assuming that your first service was carried out by an NCC dealer as well and that they have submitted the service details to Swift then your warranty should be valid (your warranty is with Swift and not your dealer where the van was purchased). Unfortunately you can't submit your own claim to Swift and this has to be done by an approved Swift group dealer or engineer and not just an NCC approved dealer/engineer as the approved Swift dealer/engineer has access to the warranty system (hope that makes sense).

You mention that your second service has been carried out by an NCC approved but you also need to find out if they have the ability/system to submit a claim to Swift.

If you have damp it doesn't matter whether the 1st service engineer spotted it or not, as long as they submitted to Swift that the service was carried out and no damp was present at the time (even if it was and they didnt notice it) then your second service engineer (if they have the warranty system) can then submit a claim to Swift.

I hope the above is fairly clear and makes sense.

Unfortunately the 12 month warranty is a rather hidden problem. It was recently discussed on the Swift Talk forum regarding cracks appearing in the gel coat which Swift classed as a fault from the particular product manufacturer and therefore only has a 12 month warranty. I believe this is also the case with windows, which has also caused some debate due to the fault with production company (Miriad) causing the front middle window to stick together, the warranty was only 12 months with Swift but I believe Miriad supplied replacement (not 100% sure of this fact though).

As above, your Swift approved warranty centre will also have to submit a claim to Swift with regards to the stitching coming loose.

To summarise, the first step is to see if your current engineer is Swift approved and has the Swift warranty system, if not then you will need to find a dealer that is. As long as your van has been serviced by an NCC approved engineer then a Swift approved dealer/engineer shouldn't refuse to undertake your warranty work as at the end of the day they get paid by Swift for any warranty work that you have approved so it's business for the dealer!

Hope this helps

Ian

I would suggest looking at SwiftTalk where someone from Swift would be able to answer your questions. Have found them very helpful in the past. I don't know about the furnishing warranty but I think Swift will refer you to your dealer about the damp, although I'm sure I read somewhere they don't mind which dealer as long as it's approved and are willing to undertake the work. Don't quote me however as I'm not 100% positive.

I have a Swift Safari, which like the Merlin, is a dealer special based on the Charisma.

In the Handbook, on page 3, at the bottom of the first column it says:

In years 2 and 3 the warranty will specifically exclude;

All soft furnishings

audio equipment

microwave

tv (what tv??)

I think you'll find that a major reason for dealers not wanting to do warranty work if your van wasn't supplied by them, is that the manufacturers pay a lower labour rate for warranty work so the dealer makes less from it.

We bought a Swift Merlin dealer special on 14/07/09 and are very pleased with the van.

Problem 1.

We have had throws on the front seats from new but on returning from our holidays last week we noticed that some of the stitching on the top of the seat base has come undone and also one of the seams is coming apart. The van has only had light use.

I rang a very helpful lady at Leisure Furnishings,I've dealt with her before,to explain the problem,and she advised me to contact my dealer who would put a warranty claim in and then I could arrange with her to have the seat cushions collected. Brilliant I thought.

Rang my supplying dealer and the gentleman said,"oh no. Furnishings aren't covered by Swift warranty. Only 12 months".

I wasn't very happy with him as you can imagine and told him so. He is supposed to be contacting Swift and phoning me back but I don't hold out much hope of this.

I've looked through the warranty booklet and can find no mention of upholstery not being covered for the full 3 years.

My first questions are.

Has anyone had to put a claim in on a Swift warranty for seat stitching coming apart? How did you get on?Is it written anywhere in the warranty that furnishings are excluded?

:snip:

I had a problem with the rear seat cushion in the dining area of my Charisma 540. Most of the summer this is left made up as a bed. The cushion that was effected is one OH sleeps in and the damage was at the foot of the made up bed. I am not sure what length the made up bed is (6'6'' ?) but as OH is only 5'4'' her feet wouldn't reach that area. The only time it might be sat on is 8 days away at Christmas but even then not likely due to the position of the stitches that were failing.

I asked the dealer to sort it out but as the van was 13month old he said that Swift would not entertain the claim. I asked him how he thought it was my problem. I had a contract with the dealer - not Swift. The upshot was a new cushion was supplied. I don't know who paid for it as it was not my concern. The Swift warranty does not take away your consumer rights. Your contract is with the dealer - not Swift.