Rookesbury Caravan Club Site & Surrounding Area

MattAce

HI All,

We are spending a few nights at Rookesbury CC site weekend after next (23rd), i'm planning on visiting the Southampton boat show on Saturday but look forward to exploring the area as well.

We have stayed at the site many years ago but apparently the site has been developed since then. All I remember is that it was down a long walled road and the site was huge!!

Has anyone visited the site in recent years and can comment on the facilities and site in general?? SWMBO will be by herself on Saturday while im at the boat show with our son, is there anywhere around or outside the site to walk the dogs? Have tried to remember from our previous visit but can't recall.

Am thinking about visiting Gosport, Portsmouth & maybe Chichester on Friday. Where is worth a visit? Someone also suggested Hayling island.

Ian

HI All,

We are spending a few nights at Rookesbury CC site weekend after next (23rd), i'm planning on visiting the Southampton boat show on Saturday but look forward to exploring the area as well.

We have stayed at the site many years ago but apparently the site has been developed since then. All I remember is that it was down a long walled road and the site was huge!!

Has anyone visited the site in recent years and can comment on the facilities and site in general?? SWMBO will be by herself on Saturday while im at the boat show with our son, is there anywhere around or outside the site to walk the dogs? Have tried to remember from our previous visit but can't recall.

Am thinking about visiting Gosport, Portsmouth & maybe Chichester on Friday. Where is worth a visit? Someone also suggested Hayling island.

Ian

Hi Ian,

This is our local site and we start and finish the season there, it's 8 miles from our front door.

The site is lovely, no road noise, loo blocks were revamped a couple of years ago and are as you'd expect superb. . lovely and warm too!

The site now has a lot of hard standings as well as grass pitches.

For the dog it will be paradise. .. they opened a whole field up for you to exercise him.

Also the site borders onto the Forest of Bere and there is direct access to the forest from just outside the gate.

Lots of things to see Portsmouth Dockyard (HMS Victory and Warrior plus lots more), Portsmouth Gunwarf Quays (large retail outlets but with some lovely cafes, bistros, bars, restaurants, cinemas, bowling alley, night clubs etc etc etc). Old Portsmouth/Spice Island has a lot of history and you can walk the whole of the seafront (3 or 4 miles) to Eastney from there.

There's a foot passenger ferry to Hayling Island from Eastneys or you can drive on to Hayling. Mainly beaches on Hayling.

Chichester is well worth a visit as is Gosport.

If you have any specific interest drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

We looking to get to Rookesbury in the next few weeks but probably not until October.

Enjoy it whatever you do.

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

Plenty of dog friendly walks in the forest surrounding the site :D

We enjoyed days out at Fort Nelson, Spinnaker Tower, HMS Warrior, the Submarine Museum,

and a long day trip across to the Isle of Wight

Marwell Zoo can be fun when the weather's good too

Thanks both for the excellent replies,

plenty of suggestions for places and things to see when we visit.

I don't remember any hardstandings when we were last at the site although many years ago! Although the site was huge the toilet block was quite limited and tired so sounds like they have improved.

I have found the entrance to Bere Forest on google earth street view but can't find the site entrance!!! I think I have found it but there are no CC signs on the gate or the road and only construction engineer signs so assume this was taken when the improvement work was being undertaken. If I am looking at the right place then it looks an easy walk straight into Bere forest without walking along a busy road.

As a fairly regular visitor to the site, in your opinions are there any pitching areas on the site that are better than others? Have previously pitched at a site to find barking dogs from travelling site behind! Couldn't have been in a worse position on the site. I have googled earthed but it all looks to normal CC standard :) .

Have downloaded directions from the CC and it looks easy to find from the M27.

Am planning to visit the boat show on Saturday, SWMBO will stay at the van so I need to park somewhere near Mayflower Park, West Quay multistory car park has been suggested as a good option within easy walk, is this the best car park in the area for Mayflower Park?

Sorry for all the questions but it's great to be fairly prepared!!

Many Thanks

Best wishes

Ian

Hello Ian. Its a lovely site, loads to do nearby in the Portsmouth area and the dogs will love it. There are quite a few hardstandings.

The private, long and wooded road to the site is just before the entrance to Bere Forest as you come from the general direction of the coast (M27). Don't worry, there are CC signs up.

There are loads of good pitches on the site. Generally, I go for a hardstanding on the edge of the site somewhere between the toilet block and the dog walk area.

Edited by dalel

I have checked on Google Street and you are right, the CC entrance at the time they took the photo is devoid of Club signs; there is just the Beard contractor sign on the verge after the wide wooden gate.

Location coordinates for Google are 50. 90556, -1. 15351

The access off the M27 onto the A32 [Junction 10] is only for vehicles travelling West; so if coming from the west you will need to go onto J11 and return the mile on the West bound carriageway back to J10. There are cross country routes to avoid this but dont.

As for parking for the Boat Show, West Quay is an option, close and convenient; watch you dont use the more expensive Podium bit.

See: http://www. southamptonboatshow. com/2011/visiting/getting_to_the_show. aspx

Ian, There are now two toilet blocks (one includes a Laundry Room).

The entry to the Forest (for dog walking) is just a few yards outside the actual site exit barrier behind reception, you don't have to go all the way back to the main road to get access.

If you zoom in on Rookesbury Park on GoogleEarth you can see the two toilet blocks in a north south line.

All the pitches to the south are hardstanding and since the Google Earth photo was taken there are more hardstandings in the middle section. The North and Western pitches remain grass. The field to the west with the diamond shaped copse is the dog exercise area.

The very southern pitches would tend to be in shade at this time of year but the rest of the site gets good sun.

HTH

G.

Went there to visit some friend who were over here from Germany a couple if weeks ago. We only live a few miles away so have no need to use the site. We were very pleasantly surprised at what a nice site it is with excellent toilet facilities.

The only downside, as we saw it, was that there did not seem to be much room between vans. It may be that it was during the school holidays and the site was completely full. Our German friends liked the site but also thought it was a little cramped.

The Boat Show has managed to block up Southampton so I would try and go by public transport!!!!!

Edited by jks

Thanks for the replies,

I'm glad it wasn't just me who couldn't find the site on street view :lol:

Have heard that traffic around the boat show is mad and so did consider getting SWMBO to drop son & I off and then head back to the van (no dogs allowed into show) but don't think she would cope with the traffic etc and not familiar with the roads, she would probably spend the whole day finding her way back to the site.

I believe it's roughly 17 miles from the site to Mayflower park so althouh the show doesn't open till 10 will probably arrive a lot earlier to get parked and just have a walk around until it opens.

The site certainly looks huge on Google earth but hopefully will be a bit quieter now out of school holidays (although the CC website isn't showing much space, it's full for this weekend!)

Thanks again for all the help & advice, really looking forward to next weekend!

Ian

They had a chip van that came on site last time we were there, friday i think, wish i hadn't bothered to que up, wife was worried that i had got lost, as i took so long to get the fish and chips, weren't that nice either.

But it is a loverly site, and towsure just down the road for that item that you might have forgotten to pack.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the advice given on the site and local area.

Returned last Monday from a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed.

Arrived on the Friday around 13:00 and had one of the few remaining pitches which was just past the top facility block on the right before the site exit. Pitch was pretty worn after the summer but could put up with that as the it was a very pleasant location with a nice outlook.

The traffic into the boat show wasn't that bad on Saturday and parking in West Quay multi storey was easy, although I got confused as to how to get out and an assistant had to show me how to use the machine! Turns out you put the ticket in, it tells you how long you have been and how much it cost and you then enter your card and the amount is debited from your account with no pin etc. Nothing actually gave these directions. The boat show itself was very quiet so was a lot easier than previous years to walk around without being pushed and shoved.

Saturday afternoon/evening we had a lovely walk down to Port Solent marina, it was only quarter of an hour from the site and the journey was brilliant with a pull in off the road offering excellent views over Portsmouth.

Sunday we drove to Chichester and explored that area. Again really enjoyable.

Rookesbury site is huge and was full for the whole weekend. Although this was the case the toilets & showers were kept spotless and were very modern. The dog exercise area was also huge and I was pleased to find there were no inconsiderate owners leaving dog mess around.

Ian

We were there 2 years ago to attend a wedding in the area so didn't do a lot of sight seeing. Dog walk area excellent, walks into woods from site superb, facilities good. Long drive from the road isn't walled but has trees and shrubs from the verges in places.

The only problem we had was our next door neighbour who said we'd parked too close but the warden checked and said we were fine.

Wardens were out playing with their toys zapping any bush in the 'groves' that was above waist height. I couldn't see why as it meant that wherever you looked you saw vans, whereas when the growth was in place it split the site into small, more human sections. I really do wish the CC would use properly trained landscape architects and designers instead of just unleashing the chainsaw brigade.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.