Advanced 2012 Plans - The Czech Republic / Bavaria

Hi.jpgall.

Thinking of having our holiday in the Czech Republic next year, staying at Camping Praha about 12 miles outside Prague for 6 nights, any comments on the best route from Dunkerque to Prague?.

http://www. campingpraha. cz/

Then moving South West for 160 miles into the Germany (Bavaria) on the Austrian border, using Camping Max, Bad Fussing, for 6 or 7 nights. Just down the road, you cross the river into Austria, the site is about 55 miles from Salzberg and 90 miles from Munich.

http://www. campingmax. de/

Just a thought :rolleyes:. Has anyone visited the Skoda museum and factory north of Prague?, thinking of booking onto this tour. Are there any Skoda owners?

http://www. pragueexperience. com/places. asp?PlaceID=1252

If anyone has been, do you have to go on the organised tour, or can you just turn up at the factory? If you do not want to admit it, then remain anonymous, but just tell me anyway. :blush:::blush:

Thanks.

You can get around Prague very cheaply on public transport and it is very reliable. I haven't been there with the caravan, but it is a fantastic city. I went to the industrial museum, which is built over an old mine. That is well worth a visit as is the castle. :D

We visited Prague in August 2008 with the caravan. We stayed at Oase Prague which was a delightful site outside Prague, with a bus stop right outside to take you in to the Prague Tram terminus. Prague is a beautiful city with much to see. Get up to the old castle for the MID-DAY changing of the guard. It is a cross between Busby Berkely and Trumpton. (they change the guard every hour but it is the mid-day one that is best. Cant say anything about the Skoda works though.

We had reached Prague via Hamburg, Lubeck, Berlin and Dresden, which is perhaps a long way round from Dunkirk, but Dresden could well be on your route and I cannot recommend that city enough, it is amazing. We stayed there at Camping Luxe-oase, which is one of the friendliest and cleanest sites we have ever stayed on. The river south of Dresden is a must too, the area called Saxony.

You will find the roads through Germany, including the former East Germany, very well maintained. Once you hit the Czech republic they are not so good, but still ok. The ring road round Prague was a nightmare, with the motorway very deeply rutted by all the HGV traffic, which was queued nose to tail for miles. In places the ruts were deep enough to ground the towbar. They were building a new road there and I believe it is now open.

People we met in Prague were returning to the UK via Vienna, so perhaps that too is an option for you.

You can read about our trip on our blog, linked below.

We have been to Prague twice with the caravan and to Bavaria many many times with or without the caravan. If you look onmy website as in my signature underneath this post it might give you some ideas. If you are going out of season have you thought of getting ACSI Camping Card?.

Hope this helps.

Wow, not so big john and snooks, you certainly get about, very interesting websites. :)

Will be using Camping Cheques, used them lots of times with no problems. Have looked on this forum and others as a 'guest' and had good discussions with other caravanners re: Camping Cheques, ACSI card and Touring Cheques. They all have advantages and disadvantages and costs; the ACSI has a better choice and more sites.

My decision has been made (right or wrong) and I have order the CC Gold Card, £41. 85 for 3 years (£13. 95 a year). My idea is to load it up every 3 or 4 months with a few cheques at a time (small admin fee), then when we go off on holiday, the site fees are paid for. Also on lots of sites, bookings can be made for no charge, the cheques are valid for 4 years and can be used on some UK sites.

This trip started as a bit of a 'joke', have ordered a Skoda Octavia for delivery in December (hopefully) and got to thinking, it will have travel from the Czech Republic by rail and boat; so I thought I would take it back by road and see its birthplace :lol: . The wife agreed!!, so a visit to the Skoda museum and factory.

Don't suppose you have taken your vans to Latvia? Have been going there for the past 9 years (long story) by plane, then hire a car or use the railway. Often thought about taking the van, then going up into Estonia. There are some good sites and poor ones; if you keep of the dirt roads, other roads not too bad. Maybe when I retire and have lots of time, will go!!!

Wow, not so big john and snooks, you certainly get about, very interesting websites. :)

Don't suppose you have taken your vans to Latvia? Have been going there for the past 9 years (long story) by plane, then hire a car or use the railway. Often thought about taking the van, then going up into Estonia. There are some good sites and poor ones; if you keep of the dirt roads, other roads not too bad. Maybe when I retire and have lots of time, will go!!!

If you want a really good reference website for European (and world wide) caravanning and motorhome travel, try MagBaztravels, the website of a couple from Huddersfield who have been travelling in their motorhome, and more recently by van and caravan, for many many years. They visited Latvia in 2009 and this is a link to their page. http://www. magbaztravels. com/content/view/889/30/