French Campsite Wanted Chartres Area

We stayed at the Huttopia at Senonches, which we accessed through Nonancourt at the bottom of the N154 where it runs into the N12, then the Dreux bypass. It's west of Chartres, but there's a good easy road joining the Chartres by-pass. It's an unusual site, around a little lake, and the toilet facilities are spot-on - new bathrooms, with lots of room, and a shower and washbasin. There's a nice little bar/restaurant (basic not gourmet) with a super wooden terrace overlooking the lake. There are pitches in a meadow setting, and also pitches in the 'forest' area. There's a natural swimming pool - no chemicals, etc. It's within walking distance of the village, which has a range of shops, bars and restaurants, and in the area known at La Perche, which is a protected area of natural heritage!

Although it's a bit further away from Chartres than you requested, it's certainly a site I'd go back to.

An alternative is the site at St Remy sur Avre/Nonancourt - again a bit further north, but just two minutes from the N12.

It's not particularly an area well represented with campsites, unfortunately. Once you get south of Orleans there's a lot more choice.

St Remy - that made me smile. We turned up at the site without a booking - only to find they had closed for the season but there is a square near the church, so we bunked down there.

The Huttopia is a useful suggestion Val and one I shall take note of for the next run to Spain.

Thank you.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Terry. ...

Only site I used that immediate area was 'in distress' as Francois had just taken a chunk from the side of my caravan on the first night of a six week holiday. .....we stayed at the Municipal about 7 or 8 miles away I guess ( it will be in the CC Europe book)...... the site was certainly dated but the natives were friendly enough. ....they hadn't seen a GB caravan held together with gaffer tape before. ..Understand that site has been refurbished since,but from memory it only opens June to September. ..

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

This site is almost on 154 in Chartres, It is on the side of the river which has direct access from the campsite, May be of use to you as it is open until late in the season. B)B)

If you are going to stop at Chartres between mid May and mid Sep, walk into town when it becomes dark - about 15 mins along a good path from Bords de l'Eure most of which has street lamps - for a superb Son et Lumiere show along the river banks and most impressively on the end wall of the cathedral. If you take the car, you will find the site gates close at 10. The website for 2011 shows what you will experience.

http://www. chartresenlumieres. com/accueil. html

If you are going to stop at Chartres between mid May and mid Sep, walk into town when it becomes dark - about 15 mins along a good path from Bords de l'Eure most of which has street lamps - for a superb Son et Lumiere show along the river banks and most impressively on the end wall of the cathedral. If you take the car, you will find the site gates close at 10. The website for 2011 shows what you will experience.

http://www. chartrese. ..om/accueil. html

It looks quite good to me. I intend to overnight there when we go down to Navarrenz and back over Easter, and then again when we go to Spain for our main holiday