Pitch Prices

rascal

just booked our 2 weeks in magaluf for next year,and bit miffed to see they up the price for school holidays in august. thompsons do it, horizon do it, in fact they all do it! then i realised that my beloved caravan club sites do it. my wife has told me to calm down and explained that the pitch prices do not go up in the school holidays, they GO DOWN in the early spring and again in winter. i do feel better now!

Supply and demand. ..

The those with school aged children regiments will soon turn up and bemoan how unfair this is. .. :lol: the those without brigade will then counter with how much better it is outside the school holidays :P those with dogs will then be criticised in the interests of equal opportunities.

Coachman Amara 380/2

I have daughter and really do think it's unfair to charge more because demand is higher

Airlines don't pay more fir fuel or food because of demand

Hotels charge more because their busy illogical

Holiday companys charge you more because they get away with it

I wonder if no one booked summer holiday next year how cheap would it be the following year

Supply and demand. ..

The those with school aged children regiments will soon turn up and bemoan how unfair this is. .. :lol: the those without brigade will then counter with how much better it is outside the school holidays :P those with dogs will then be criticised in the interests of equal opportunities.

Q. E. D

I am too frequently stunned by those who make a lifestyle coice

to have children (They did. .. Didn't they??). They knew full well

beforehand that those children would then have to go to school

and, as parents, they would be confined to going away during school

holidays. (Not rocket science!!)

Then whining about the price of holidays, site fees etc.

Same thing happens, every holiday season.

It's a fact of life!! Like paying more to use trains in the rush hour

(or paying less to go off-peak!)

Paying higher council tax to live in London.

(Or paying less to live elsewhere!)

Or paying more road tax for a bigger car

(Or less for a small one!).

I am not having a dig at the OP, It just seems that during almost every

school holiday, and there's plenty of 'em, someone comes up with that old groan.

Marc.

Not complaining in the slightest but our children are grown up and we are still going away in school holidays, my wife is a Teacher. We knew this when she trained and it something we accept for something my wife is passionate about.

It is the way the world works and we ain't gonna change it, as Bar Steward says 'fact of life'.

Brian

duh!! - next question. .............

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

It's basic economics, as the demand increases, so does the price, especially as supply is fixed.

It's funny but sometimes I notice site fees and sometimes I don't.

Just recently we spent 10 days at an adults only site in the west country and I calculated the average nightly fee for our stay was £17. 50, so £175 for the holiday. I then worked out that our favourite west country adults only site would've charged us an average of £29 for the same period, a difference of £115, or 6 more days at the cheaper site.

However the more expensive site is superbly looked after with manicured lawns, well tended planting, smooth tarmac roads, at least three times as much space per pitch and broad clear grass centres to most pitching areas. Staffwise, rather than having three people looking after 68 pitches they have 8 people looking after 100 pitches. So a warden ratio of 12. 5 pitches per warden as opposed to 22. 5. So you really can see where the extra money goes.

Whilst it's nice to save money I'd rather spend a shorter holiday but be in total comfort thanks very much.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

just booked a deal 4 nights in half term october at a park resort (not my cup of tea ) but all the bits and peaces pool night life indoors if weather a bit iffy up to 6 people, ehu, awning £30, 50p for 4 nights, carnt knock that in school holidays.

Whats the site called, and were ?

Sounds the place 4 me !!

Both sites are members of Tranquil Touring http://www. adultstouring. co. uk/, the cheaper one is http://moorviewtouringpark. co. uk/adult-caravan-touring-park. htm and the more expensive is http://theoldoaks. co. uk/index. htm. For a flavour of the quality of Old Oaks take a look at 'About us' then 'Gallery'. I especially like the picture of the 'normous RV which it seems to me was purchased to accommodate the owners waistline :)

BTW Moorview is fine but pitches are much closer together and there's no real open space. Edward & Liz are lovely, but the road, although not busy, can be intrusive and the site roads are fairly rough. Facilities just aren't up to the same standard as Old Oaks, but I venture to suggest there's hardly a better 'luxury' site the the country than the 'Oaks'. The Old Oaks are closing this winter for the first time for a few years and having some extra washroom facilities built. Don't go if you're dieting as you'll surely be tempted by their delicious home baked cakes.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

One of my ex-works colleagues used to own a small caravan park in Wales some years ago. He charged a flat rate throught the year, and argued that in the winter he had to pay for heating the loo, and provide more electricity to the EHUs, yet he didn't have to employ extra staff to cut the grass, empty the waste bins etc. , so his costs were roughly the same. Interestingly he only charged two prices, one price for a normal small pitch, and a slightly enhanced rate for the larger serviced pitches, and you could put whatever you liked on them. No extras for dogs, awnings, pup tents, visitors, extra adults etc.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

just booked a deal 4 nights in half term october at a park resort (not my cup of tea ) but all the bits and peaces pool night life indoors if weather a bit iffy up to 6 people, ehu, awning £30, 50p for 4 nights, carnt knock that in school holidays.

One of my ex-works colleagues used to own a small caravan park in Wales some years ago. He charged a flat rate throught the year, and argued that in the winter he had to pay for heating the loo, and provide more electricity to the EHUs, yet he didn't have to employ extra staff to cut the grass, empty the waste bins etc. , so his costs were roughly the same. Interestingly he only charged two prices, one price for a normal small pitch, and a slightly enhanced rate for the larger serviced pitches, and you could put whatever you liked on them. No extras for dogs, awnings, pup tents, visitors, extra adults etc.

Gordon.

Very honest of him but I don't think it's actually cost related it's what you can charge and get away with, supply and demand, in the summer more in the winter people can go where it's cheaper and full sites are rare.

Coachman Amara 380/2

It's funny but sometimes I notice site fees and sometimes I don't.

Just recently we spent 10 days at an adults only site in the west country and I calculated the average nightly fee for our stay was £17. 50, so £175 for the holiday. I then worked out that our favourite west country adults only site would've charged us an average of £29 for the same period, a difference of £115, or 6 more days at the cheaper site.

However the more expensive site is superbly looked after with manicured lawns, well tended planting, smooth tarmac roads, at least three times as much space per pitch and broad clear grass centres to most pitching areas. Staffwise, rather than having three people looking after 68 pitches they have 8 people looking after 100 pitches. So a warden ratio of 12. 5 pitches per warden as opposed to 22. 5. So you really can see where the extra money goes.

Whilst it's nice to save money I'd rather spend a shorter holiday but be in total comfort thanks very much.

Like most things in life - you get what you pay for.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Both sites are members of Tranquil Touring http://www. adultstouring. co. uk/, the cheaper one is http://moorviewtouri. ..ouring-park. htm and the more expensive is http://theoldoaks. co. uk/index. htm. For a flavour of the quality of Old Oaks take a look at 'About us' then 'Gallery'. I especially like the picture of the 'normous RV which it seems to me was purchased to accommodate the owners waistline :)

BTW Moorview is fine but pitches are much closer together and there's no real open space. Edward & Liz are lovely, but the road, although not busy, can be intrusive and the site roads are fairly rough. Facilities just aren't up to the same standard as Old Oaks, but I venture to suggest there's hardly a better 'luxury' site the the country than the 'Oaks'. The Old Oaks are closing this winter for the first time for a few years and having some extra washroom facilities built. Don't go if you're dieting as you'll surely be tempted by their delicious home baked cakes.

We are booked into "The Old Oaks" for 8 nights from this Saturday. Have always wanted to go there but never got around to it. The site looks fantastic - every review we have seen says it's excellent. And those homemade cakes. :) Can't wait.

BTW we are using the ACSI card there.

Janice

Archived