Wiring 12s Socket

raydrink

I have a 2005 Elddis Superstorm and so far we have had it on a seasonal pitch so my towing vehicle has only a 12N socket. Next year we are going touring and I want to add a 12S socket to my car. But I have a question. ........

We will only be staying on sites with mains hookup so I see no need to charge the battery whilst travelling (7 hrs max between stops?) but I do see the need for the fridge to be working whilst travelling.

So, I intend to wire up the fridge connection on pins 6 and 7, using a split charge relay. But do I really need to connect pins 4 and 3 too? What purpose does that serve? I don't want to charge the leisure battery whilst on the move. If I need to go in the van whilst in a lay-by, say, and need a light, I can switch on the internal electrics, can't I?

The instructions for my fridge (Dometic RM7291L) indicate that it needs 12v for the electronics as well as for the 12v heater. I know the heater 12v comes from the car (12S socket), but what's wrong with supplying the fridge's electronics from the leisure battery in the van, whilst towing? I assume I will need the master 12V switch on whilst towing in order to achieve that. Is that against the rules?

There's every chance I'm missing something obvious here, so your help would be appreciated.

cheers

Ray

I have a 2005 Elddis Superstorm and so far we have had it on a seasonal pitch so my towing But do I really need to connect pins 4 and 3 too? What purpose does that serve?

Pins 4 and 3 charge the battery whilst on the move. But if you are going to wire for the fridge whilst towing, you may as well do the job properly and use a 12S plug and socket.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/TOWBAR-TRAILER-12S-7-PIN-PLUG-AND-SOCKET-/200524451118?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb0304d2e

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Pins 4 and 3 charge the battery whilst on the move.

use a 12S plug and socket.

Thanks, but I stated both those in my original post.

Perhaps I didn't explain very well. My question should have been:

As I have no desire to charge the leisure battery from the car, is there any reason why I can't just leave pins 4 and 3 unconnected?

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ray

hi,

leaving pins 3 and 4 unconnected will work but pin 3 is an earth and might aswell be connected as its easy too connect to the bodywork in the boot of the car. Pin 4 on the other hand is a positive direct from the battery (via a fuse) and if not needed can be left out.

peter.

I think you will find it easier to fully wire it, my car for example has a 3mm cable from the battery via a fuse at the battery.

This supplies both permanent supply,( which is required for ATC and battery charging), and the fridge via the voltage sensitive relay.

I know ideally two 3mm cables should be run, but this was how the auto electrician wired it, and i have had no issues.

Archived