Not To Use Battery Whilst On Mains

bobdawkins

just would like to find out why I cannot use battery that is still connected to battery terminals, whilst using mains electric, is it because my mains RCD unit doesn't have the battery charging facility, by the way the mains was switched off at the time of taking this picture (mains plug not connected) the bottom right-hand corner is the 12 volt system wireing

Edited by bobdawkins

Are you saying that your 12v equipment does not work when you are hooked up to mains?

No it all works okay, but I read somewhere to disconnect battery before using the mains, can't remember where I read it, or if it was on a sticker in the caravan,never bothered before, but as its a newer caravan to me I thought I'd play safe,

I must admit I know nothing about a TEC caravan but all the vans I have ever had, use a mixture of mains electric and 12 volt. When you are connected to an EHU you can use things such as the fridge, micro-wave, some lights on mains, 12 volt equipment is still running from the battery but the battery is being charged by the charger. When you are on site without an EHU then your 12 volt equipment will only work as long as the battery stays charged, mains equipment either uses gas (e. g. Fridge) or you can't use at all (eg microwave). Hope this helps

ElBeardo smile.gif

I must admit I know nothing about a TEC caravan but all the vans I have ever had, use a mixture of mains electric and 12 volt. When you are connected to an EHU you can use things such as the fridge, micro-wave, some lights on mains, 12 volt equipment is still running from the battery but the battery is being charged by the charger. When you are on site without an EHU then your 12 volt equipment will only work as long as the battery stays charged, mains equipment either uses gas (e. g. Fridge) or you can't use at all (eg microwave). Hope this helps

ElBeardo smile.gif

Spot on there amigo!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The photo you have attached is of a 12V Power Supply Unit - it is NOT a charger. You do have to disconnect your battery when attached to mains as the PSU is in no way regulated - it's just a transformer. We have in the past removed the transformer for customers and fitted a PSU/charger, wherby the battery can be left connected.

Edited by LodgeFarmLeisure

The photo you have attached is of a 12V Power Supply Unit - it is NOT a charger. You do have to disconnect your battery when attached to mains as the PSU is in no way regulated - it's just a transformer. We have in the passed removed the transformer for customers and fitted a PSU/charger, wherby the battery can be left connected.

Thanks, that is the exactly the info I needed, battery already disconnected, one other thing, I have a 20 amp fuse in the slot, is this the right one and what is it used for, don't want to touch it until I find out first, thanks every one for your posts,

post-2412-0-32104300-1316019810_thumb.jpgI am having trouble replying to posts by clicking "reply" and can't copy and paste. New forum problem?

@ bobdawkins

If you are referring to the MCB "fuses" then these should be a 6 amp and 10 amp.

As stated above the unit is a MIKO transformer without battery charging facility as fitted to many continental caravans.

It is possible to modify it and add a charger of the CTEK type as quite a few of us foreign van owners have done. Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot provide either an attachment or link to the details.

Edited by beejay

If it's a 140W transformer, I would fit a 10A fuse not a 20A (140/12=11. 7) or else transformer will be damaged before fuse blows.

I think you will find it should have a 15A fuse.

You should have two LEDs on the unit - one yellow and one green.

The unit provides an unregulated output and a regulated 3A 12V output which is not sufficient for anything.

It is also designed to pass 12V from a source if the mains fails or is disconnected.

It would probably make sense to replace this unit with a proper power supply/charger, so that the battery can be float charged.

no, the fuse I am on about is just above the 12 volt wiring and below the tranformer bit, its a 20 amp bayonet type fuse, and the PSU is a Dometic MK140 230v/50Hz --1a 12v DC/140W 15AT,

I think you will find it should have a 15A fuse.

The unit provides an unregulated output and a regulated 3A 12V output which is not sufficient for anything.

It is also designed to pass 12V from a source if the mains fails or is disconnected.

It would probably make sense to replace this unit with a proper power supply/charger, so that the battery can be float charged.

no lights at all

if you look on here you will see what unit I have (hopefully if I've done it right :wacko: )

http://s29. photobucket. com/albums/c286/bobdawkins/PSU%20Dometic%20MK%20140/

Thanks for the better pics.

It looks like the earlier MK140 whereas I was describing a later variant above (MK140-1 ?).

As other posters have said, a basic power supply that converts mains to 12VDC to drive equipment. Looks like it also has a relay that will switch to the 12V battery input to drive equipment when the mains fails or is not connected. The Mains comes in through the RCD and MCB's shown on the left.

So, no battery charging.

Hi Bob,

Contact Gary at Elite caravans,he imported the TEC's and ttheres not a lot he doesn't know about them. http://www. elitecaravans. co. uk/. Enjoy your T. E. C. Catch ya later,indoors

BTW. Have you considered joining the TEC Owners Club. http://tecownersclubofgreatbritain. com/

Blimey! Tell me there's a top on that? Where is your handbook? Why are you even in there!?

Tell me there's a top on that

yes there is, no power was connected at any time as I stated in my previous post, I'm not that stupid

Where is your handbook

no handbook, otherwise Iwouldn't be asking these questions

Why are you even in there

if you read my post it was to find out whether it had the battery charging facility

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bob,

Stay calm,give Gary a call, he's one of the most Knowledgable and helpful dealers out there. Catch ya later,indoors.