Smartflo Pump Uv0814

Che

Hi Folks.

Has anyone replaced a pump head on a smartflo pump? The onboard type, as i don't want to attempt to strip it down and then find it is impossble to seal again once i put it back together.

I find it is letting water seep back into the water butt, so the pump is switching on quite frequently as it keeps the pressure up.

I don't want to spend £80-£90 on a pump if i just need to replace the pump head itself.

Edited by Che

Hi Folks.

Has anyone replaced a pump head on a smartflo pump? The onboard type, as i don't want to attempt to strip it down and then find it is impossble to seal again once i put it back together.

I find it is letting water seep back into the water butt, so the pump is switching on quite frequently as it keeps the pressure up.

I don't want to spend £80-£90 on a pump if i just need to replace the pump head itself.

Maybe you have a non return valve allowing water to flow back?

Not sure with the inboard type, but i defiantly had one with the submersible, its fitted inside the wall inlet.

i don't see a pump stopping back flow, unless its got an internal non return ?

http://www. whalepumps. com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/72/

Link to a data sheet may help?

Edited by xtrailman

Maybe you have a non return valve allowing water to flow back?

Not sure with the inboard type, but i defiantly had one with the submersible, its fitted inside the wall inlet.

i don't see a pump stopping back flow, unless its got an internal non return ?

http://www. whalepumps. com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/72/

Link to a data sheet may help?

Thanks for the reply, as that was my initial thought but on contacting Whale and describing the symptoms this is their reply.

Thank you for your enquiry. Your thoughts are very close to we would think would cause this. The pumps have eights valves, four inlet and four outlet inside the head of the pump. If the outlet valves are damaged or possibly have some dirt or grime trapped underneath them, this would stop the pump from creating a vacuum seal. They best way to fix this would be to replace the Head Assembly (AK1318). You can do this through any of the below retailers:

Edited by Che

I had the same problem with mine, my dealer suggested the cheap solution would be to fit a non return valve between the pump and the water inlet. I did this, cost about £7, and problem solved. I think it was a Truma valve with push on connectors so it was a simple job.

I think the pump's operating valves act as a non return valve and after some time they are not 100% at stopping reverse flow. I looked at taking the pump apart but it did not look easy.

The first time mine failed the dealer took the pump apart and found it full of muck which he cleaned out. We had just done 7 weeks at a site with loch water, and even though we have a filter on the end of the pick up in the aquaroll, particals still must have got through. This fix only last a short time however.

On the manufacturer's web site there is an exploded view of the pump, but no instructions as to how to open it up. It looks like one of those things where you release the screws and everything springs out. The non return valve was much easier.

If you do take it appart, let us all know how you get on.