Best Battery

http://www. optima-batterien. EU/optima-applications/camping-caravan. html

I saw these at £200 once and they where less than 90amp but they are very high spec.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Oops. Trying to link to a particular battery manufacturer fails every time, sorry. ..

Dave.

Edited by Fidget

Let me re-define that.

What do you mean by a high quality battery ??

What are you trying to achieve by spending so much ?

What charging arrangements do you have ?

Bear with me.

Why do you want a high quality battery ?

Oops. Trying to link to a particular battery manufacturer fails every time, sorry. ..

Dave.

I copy and paste the whole website link. I can't do it your way by addind a heading. ........:blink:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Bear with me.

Why do you want a high quality battery ?

I bought a cheap one 110ah £90 when I started back caravaning in 2005 it didn't last much past it's guarantee date, the one that came with my old Pageant is around 8 years old and I may be imagining it but it doesn't seem to be holding charge like it used to, the £300 top price was just to stop any one posting details of something NASA would use on the space station :D The old saying buy cheap buy twice springs to mind and next year we are planing on using CS/CL's a lot more as we will be taking the dog, I just don't want to have any worries about battery life, yes I have a Solar Panel, 65w and to my mind it's got to be easier to keep a good quality battery at peak performance, So I'm buying on Spec not Price B)

I'm also going to be looking for a good quality charger ( I've got the Aldi one)as I've been told rightly or wrongly that the built in caravan charger doesn't charge to 100%, Your thoughts on that would be appreciated Folks???

Edited by saxon

There are some "quality" deep cycling batteries including Optima but in the main you are paying for the ability to withstand "deep cycling". It is that feature, the depth of cycling, the number of times it is done and the length of time before it is recharged that seems to dictate the construction and hence cost.

However if you keep to a moderate depth of cycling say no more than 50%, and aim to recover that discharge at the earliest opportunity then many more and lower cost units are available and will offer good life.

I have recently needed to buy another "leisure" battery and after much study went for a Varta Professional deep cycling battery, a new product to the market aimed at our and the marine hobby user.

http://www. varta-automotive. com/index. php?id=476&L=26

Its far from the best technical spec I could buy but at sub £100 for my 60 Ahr requirement was what IMO is a sensible value for money price point. I am slightly biased to Varta as I still regularly use my 1991 Varta Semi Traction battery to power the van's mover. [i avoid using the van's GEL battery to power the mover whenever practical; eg at home]

Edit: I leave the battery on my CTEK 3600 charger year in year out when not in use.

Edited by JTQ

Plenty of decent chargers about . ..Ctek MSX7000 (7amp), Numax 'Connect and forget' leisure battery charger (10amp)

As you are talking about batteries around 110-120ah wouldn't recommend the Ctek 3600 as its only 3. 6 amp and the manufacturer themselves state its only suitable for charging up to 75ah batteries.

They state that its suitable for a 'conditioner' for batteries up to 120ah but not a charger. **So it depends on what you want.**

A leisure battery from a reputable manufacturer is more likely to be one rather than a rebadged car battery, one of the mags did a review and found many were just that.

AGM are really not required, neither do you want sealed for life types either. You may never need to top it up but if it is sealed you can't.

The van power centre will frequently peak out at 13. 8 volt which will do most of the time but the battery could do with a good charge at 14. 4 volts occasionally so any accredited 3 stage charger will help.

Thanks for answering what might have seemed like a strange question.

A lot of rot is talked about batteries, mainly by people who read articles in magazines and on the net.

The main thing to remember about batteries is that most of them die through abuse.

They are either undercharged or overcharged.

This kills an expensive battery just as easy as a budget one.

The other thing to remember is that they are all consummable items and will progressively fail after a number of cycles.

The question is how far you want to routinely discharge them and how much you want to pay considering the cost vs cycles graph.

Another myth is that a standard caravan charger outputting 13. 8V won't charge your battery beyond 80%.

This is simply not true - my standard integral charger outputs at 13. 8V and charges my battery up to 100%.

A similarly sized multistage charger will do it a bit quicker. It will also give the battery a bit of a work-out and this will help reduce sulphation, which increases the life.

If you want to get more usable power out of your battery, then go for a true deep cycle battery (not the ones that are glorified starter batteries with the word "deep cycle" written on the side).

This will give you 70-80% discharge before having to be recharged. Otherwise, a normal lead acid battery will do, but I wouldn't go for the very cheap ones.

Remember that the shallower the discharges and the more often you recharge, the longer it will live.

A solar panel will lessen the discharges by replenishing some of the energy you are using.

Concerning a charger, it depends on whether you are talking about replacing the van charger or the maintenance charger you use at home.

I suspect you might be talking about the latter - a reliable multistage charger with some sort of equalisation is good.

Also remember that unusual battery chemistries require different charging voltages so the charger should be able to accommodate this.

I bought a cheap one 110ah £90 when I started back caravaning in 2005 it didn't last much past it's guarantee date, the one that came with my old Pageant is around 8 years old and I may be imagining it but it doesn't seem to be holding charge like it used to, the £300 top price was just to stop any one posting details of something NASA would use on the space station :D The old saying buy cheap buy twice springs to mind and next year we are planing on using CS/CL's a lot more as we will be taking the dog, I just don't want to have any worries about battery life, yes I have a Solar Panel, 65w and to my mind it's got to be easier to keep a good quality battery at peak performance, So I'm buying on Spec not Price B)

I'm also going to be looking for a good quality charger ( I've got the Aldi one)as I've been told rightly or wrongly that the built in caravan charger doesn't charge to 100%, Your thoughts on that would be appreciated Folks???

Edited by Barry J

When I had to do this I went for an E. ....l battery as, for a given capacity, they are lighter than typical leisure batteries. These are more expensive but not excessively so. I'm not sure why this is, but this type does not seem to lose its charge as fast traditional batteries and it can easily go 5 months without attention, so I now leave mine in the van when in storage, so there is plenty of back up power for the alarm

Edited by chrisn7

When I had to do this I went for an E. ....l battery as, for a given capacity, they are lighter than typical leisure batteries. These are more expensive but not excessively so. I'm not sure why this is, but this type does not seem to lose its charge as fast traditional batteries and it can easily go 5 months without attention, so I now leave mine in the van when in storage, so there is plenty of back up power for the alarm

I bought an ELE. SOL 110Ah battery to replace my "cheap" Towsure (Orange) Battery which I think lasted over 5 years.

I was surprised how much smaller and lighter it was than the cheaper one.

So far it's served us well and I'll buy another when my 2nd Towsure (Orange) battery gives up the ghost. .. I think it's 6 years old now!

HTH

G.

P. S. The . = C. Admin/Mods. ... what with the censoring of this particular Battery Brand Name????

Edited by chapmag

I've now had 5 years without incident from a Numax leisure battery. For long periods without EHU I also have a Bosch silver - if you know someone who is a costco member they're cheaper there.

There are a lot of smoke and mirrors with batteries and some makers know exactly which buttons to push with consumers. .

A common trick is to quote the capacity ratings at a (relatively) slow discharge rate.

Quoting the AH at C20 (discharge over 20 hours) looks a lot better than quoting the C5 or C10 rate which involves a faster and probably more practical discharge rate for people not using EHU.

Make sure you compare apples with apples.

The cheaper makes don't specify what C number they are calculating at.

Also, calling your battery model the new something something 115 and then making it 90AH can be a bit confusing.

So, did the OP ask which is the best type of battery to buy (AGM) or the best make (any except unamed battery supplier)?

And didn't the law change recently with regard to quoted capacities?

Edited by bartow

How much!!!

It broke my heart to pay £66 for a 110ah ohmy.png . ...........its a good job its got a 3 year warranty & the firms only down the road from me

Oh & I'm CL prepared laugh.png

Picture 007.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an unamed battery supplier for my 'van, had it 4 years, transferred it to my next 'van and it lasted another 3 years, let it go with the 'van when new one came with a Gel battery, load of rubbish that was. went out and bought another unamed battery supplier in June 2007 nil problemo. Regards Peter :)

Is there some automatic editing going on here? am I not allowed to say I bought an *** battery without it being censored? mad.gif

YES

The name is censored for legal reasons

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Could the Censor please tell me why I can recommend a powrtouch mover, a Hymer caravan, and others can say they bought a Humax or Bosch battery, but I cannot mention unnamed ? If you are allowed to criticise and name, then surely you should be allowed to mention when you have had good service? I rest my case. Peter mad.gif

Admin note.

If you were to say they were they were the 'Best battery in the World' it would still be 'censored' as you call it.

The company decided their battery was NOT to be mentioned good or bad.

CT comply with their request.

http://www. optima-ba. ..ng-caravan. html

I saw these at £200 once and they where less than 90amp but they are very high spec.

We use the Red Top in the Land Rover and the Yellow Top for driving the Winch. We have several on our network as backup supplies, I think the are the VERY BEST battery you can buy. Two yellow Top's will run a wireless network node with 700 users on it for over 10 days. These are not cheap but I think they are the best, I think these batteries would suit a caravan very well and when it comes to the time to replace the battery that cam with the van, I will 100% be fitting 2 Yellow Top's.