Which One. Propane Or Butane?

tdb9

I have always used the blue Calor bottles with both van and bbq but noticed that a lot of people use the orange bottles of Propane.

Simple question is which is better?

I have been given an empty orange calor bottle and I have 2 almost empty blue calor bottles so now is a good time to make up my mind which to replace them with.

I know about Butane freezing and at the minute the Propane looks cheaper to buy. I have heard that one burns hotter than the other but this might be a myth. Dont mind changing regulators to suit bottles either.

So which do I buy. ORANGE or BLUE.

thanks in advance for any replies

Rob

Both gases have similar heating properties. Butane (blue) cant be used below freezing point so ideal for summer camping as well as caravanning as it can be bought in small containers. Propane on the other hand can withstand temps well below freezing (around -40 I think but I may be corrected on that) so better for winter caravanning.

Here is a useful source of information relating to both gases http://www. caravanningnow. co. uk/caravanning/faqgas. htm

Edited by Ter

I use propane, because that's what the van came with.

Like you I have been lead to believe that propane works better in the cold, so if you are planning all weather caravanning, I would consider the propane.

You should be able to replace Calor blue with Calor orange as well on a 1 for 1 basis.

Regards,

Steve

Butane stops gassing as the temperature approaches zero so not much use in cold weather. Propane will work in lower temperatures so ideal for winter or summer.

Butane is cheaper than propane so if you only caravan in the warmer months this would be ideal.

Brian

I've only ever used butane purely because our first caravan came with butane and because we're seasonal we were only caravanning in the summer.

I'm still currently using butane but will be changing to propane soon as this should be our first all year caravanning and have regulators for both.

Not sure how pricing works but once the butane bottle is finished might try and swap it for a propane and just keep using that.

Compass Shadow 1988

You would need to change the gas pipe ( pigtail )from regulator to bottle if you change to a different gas . As said the only difference is Butane freezes but both gases produce the same flame temperature so no difference in cooking times or heating .

Dave

I use propane as the van is in all year round use.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Propane Calor Lite, it's light, it lasts, it works and you never know in this country when it's going to get cold! Though like others we van year 'round so the choice is easy.

Coachman Amara 380/2

Thanks for the replies so far. Seems people just use what they already have unless winter caravanning.

Took the following prices from Calors website and to me it seems Propane is the best buy at the minute.

6kg Propane - gas refill

£19. 99 inc VAT = £3. 33 per kg

13 kg Propane - gas refill

£25. 49 inc VAT = £1. 96 per kg

7 kg Butane - gas refill

£21. 49 inc VAT = £3. 07 per kg

15 kg Butane - gas refill

£32. 99 inc VAT = £2. 19 per kg

Not sure if working it out per kg quite works for gas but it gets me convinced which is cheaper.

Does the pressure difference mean one runs out faster than the other or am I thinking too much into it now?

Thanks

Rob

Edited by tdb9

If you have a regulator on the bulkhead of the van it is probably 37mb

If you have blue and red regulators they will be different pressures to suit the bottle. :blink:

Which uses more gas at the hob?................:rolleyes::unsure: Beats me.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We use Butane in the warmer months, and switch to propane for the colder ones. Our calor dealer exchanges butane for propane when ever I want to switch so no problems. I prefer butane as it is cheaper and there is more gas in the bottle!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Where is Butane cheaper as I usually get charged the prices shown in my previous post which is also on Calor's website?

I see Propane as being the cheaper gas to use.

Is this due to different prices or mark up by retailers?

Where is Butane cheaper as I usually get charged the prices shown in my previous post which is also on Calor's website?

Is this due to different prices or mark up by retailers?

It really is worth shopping around as down here the prices per bottle differ by £4. 00 depending on where you go!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

In your own example above the 7 kg Butane compared to the 6 kg Propane is cheaper, kg to kg.

Also as the energy in a kg of Butane is higher than in a kg of Propane you get even more heat energy per £ by using Butane when you can.

Despite this I now only bother with Propane as changing summer to winter is not worth the hassle for the saving.

Ask most who rally or use the van more than 6 months a year and Propane is usually the answer. ..I have not used Butane for at least the last 15 years.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We use Butane in the warmer months, and switch to propane for the colder ones. Our calor dealer exchanges butane for propane when ever I want to switch so no problems. I prefer butane as it is cheaper and there is more gas in the bottle!

but heavier to transport . .. especially with the new 6kg lite bottles

Unit of heat to unit of heat the difference in cost between the two of them is almost imeasurable so it boils down to usage. I use propane all the time it seems the sensible thing tondo given that below about 6 degrees centigrade butane starts to lose it's ability to become a gas though it does not become impossible for it to do so until the temperature is almost freezing, propane still works at -40 degrees.

Propane for us as we use the van all year round and with butane I would have been worried about cooking and heating last Christmas period when the temp on site got down to -10 to -13 and didn't warm up much in the daytime but we were as warm as toast even with the electric on site going off a couple of times biggrin.gif

post-26241-0-10186000-1315906454_thumb.jpeg

The 13 kg Propane or 15 kg Butane will not fit in the gas locker so you ar limited to the 6 or 7 kg bottles. As Commander Dave said you need to change the hose to the regulator, if it is fixed to the wall of the gas locker, if you change to Propane or change the regulator if it is bottle mounted.

Brian

The 13 kg Propane or 15 kg Butane will not fit in the gas locker so you ar limited to the 6 or 7 kg bottles. As Commander Dave said you need to change the hose to the regulator, if it is fixed to the wall of the gas locker, if you change to Propane or change the regulator if it is bottle mounted.

Brian

They fit in my gas locker, and until this August I have had one in there for the last 9 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read all of this, but I have a question:
I usually only use the van in the spring or summer, and only use butane.
A couple of yeasrs ago we went away for autumn, but the weather was fine, so I didn't even think about the gas.
We are going away in a couple of week's time, but this year the weather seems cooler. So, should I worry about my gas, or is butane good until we get frosts?
I have some insulation, should I wrap my bottle up in that?

I have 1 &1/2 bottles of butane, so I'm not due to change bottles any time soon. I do have a propane regulator, would a gas supplier swap a full butane for a full propane?

I'm currently up at my caravan and still using the butane but ready just to switch over to propane when the temperature drops more as this will be our first year winter caravanning but butane's ok for now - and i'm in Scotland!! I'm up here most weekends so will keep posting on this thread as once the butane bottle's done i'm just sticking to propane :)

Compass Shadow 1988

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all of this, but I have a question:
I usually only use the van in the spring or summer, and only use butane.
A couple of yeasrs ago we went away for autumn, but the weather was fine, so I didn't even think about the gas.
We are going away in a couple of week's time, but this year the weather seems cooler. So, should I worry about my gas, or is butane good until we get frosts?
I have some insulation, should I wrap my bottle up in that?

I have 1 &1/2 bottles of butane, so I'm not due to change bottles any time soon. I do have a propane regulator, would a gas supplier swap a full butane for a full propane?

Insulating the bottle works against you because when the liquid is evaporating it needs to take in heat from the surrounding area to keep the process going. .

On LPG powered cars there is an evaporator that is connected with the car's heater matrix for this very purpose. They always start on petrol until the engine has warmed up partially. And that's using propane!

On LPG powered cars there is an evaporator that is connected with the car's heater matrix for this very purpose. They always start on petrol until the engine has warmed up partially. And that's using propane!
Good point, but the take off rate for an LPG powered car is much higher than needed for a caravan cooker, and so more heat is required to vaporise the liquid passed to the evaporator. From memory, I believe the unit switched over to LPG when the engine water reached 20ºC, usually about half a mile from starting the journey. I had a blocked water pipe to an evaporator on one of my LPG vehicles a few years ago, and the whole unit was covered in frost as the engine faltered and switched back to petrol.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.