Pitching Rules

VinR

Just wanted to clarify that as I have just added my avatar you will notice the pitch sequence of van, awning then car - left to right. This was the pitching sequence demanded by the Sherwood Forest site just North of Old Clipstone on our last outing.

Seemed unusual as the majority of sites we have been on demand that the car is parked on the left of the van and awning if any ont'other (absolutely cracking site BTW). This was the case on a previous outing to Losehill CC site early August where the rule was being fiercely upheld by one particular warden who also made the owners of left-hooking motorhomes and caravans resite their units nose-in in order to facilitate privacy between units - no exit doors facing one another! A couple we spoke to were ordered to remove their towels from the perimeter fencing. They were told that if everyone did that, the site would look a mess! I think a bit over the top and in complete contrast to the great majority of site wardens we have seen over the past 30 years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right when you say the usual CC way is car/caravan/awning but when we were away recently we were advised that if we chose a grass pitch we had to comply with the sequence, but if we chose hardstanding, we could park anyway we wanted, as long as the whole outfit was contained within the hardstanding.

Last site i was on - a commercial - they said we could park any way we wanted as long as it didn't block anyone else in!

The C & CC site we stayed on in Bude this year we were side ways on to a hedge, so parked in front of the A-frame (it looked like we were permanantly hitched up)

Some of the CC wardens are, as i've said before a little too strict. we are, after all, all on our hols (well those of us who aren't working & using their vans ;) ) & we are the customer aren't we - or am i wrong about that too? :unsure: :unsure:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Lafter all, all on our hols (well those of us who aren't working & using their vans ;) ) & we are the customer aren't we - or am i wrong about that too? :unsure: :unsure:

Hi Woodie,

Yes you are a customer, however when you book and subsequently pay over your money, you are agreeing to be bound by their terms and conditions.

GPS

I like the continental way of pitching side ways on

I am not a fan of this as privacy is greatly reduced, unless your pitch is designed to be side ways on.

We were recently on Godrevey CC site, this was practiced a lot, which, did not "look" pleasing to the eye. I would not be happy to be sat in my awning when you are sat in your van looking directly in and vice versa B).

As for washing, I do not see why you can not hang washing out on your pitch, using a "clothes airer" or "wirly gig" hanging it on a line using the site trees and posts is IMHO a no no.

That is only my opinion. :D

You're right when you say the usual CC way is car/caravan/awning but when we were away recently we were advised that if we chose a grass pitch we had to comply with the sequence, but if we chose hardstanding, we could park anyway we wanted, as long as the whole outfit was contained within the hardstanding

This is what we have been told at recent CC sites. I prefer to park the van on the left of the pitch.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Woodie,

Yes you are a customer, however when you book and subsequently pay over your money, you are agreeing to be bound by their terms and conditions.

GPS

I know that, but i just find the wardens on the C & CC sites are more relaxed, while the wardens on some of the CC sites are at times a little, shall we say, rigid in their interpretation of the rules.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Blimey, I'm a newbie and just didnt think this kind of thing existed lol!!

I'm amazed there has to be a 'rule' as to which order you put things in lol

CC have a painted post,

some are different colours, depending on pitch type and sometimes It's park to the left or park to the right off the post or at just to try and catch me out at longleat the post was In the middle

CC pitch marker post are usually only on a wire pin so all you need to do when pitched as you want is move the post to where the "warden" wants it and everone is happy. :rolleyes:

I've seen both configurations on CC sites, but I prefer (left to right) car, van, awning.

I don't want to sit in the awning looking at my car - I want to be nosey and see what else is going on.

Jimbo :D

Blimey, I'm a newbie and just didnt think this kind of thing existed lol!!

I'm amazed there has to be a 'rule' as to which order you put things in lol

It is primarily a fire safety matter relating to the proximity of other outfits in case of fire. When anyone books into a site they normally have to agree to follow the site rules as a condition of the booking.

Most sites have different pitching arrangements and its just a case of following what the other caravans have done as there is no set rules on the way sites tell people to pitch . I have even been asked by a warden to pitch in reverse which was opposite to all the other caravns due to being near a road . I prefer the car -caravan- awning then with luck a bit of grass outside the awning to sit on instead of the car being there.

Dave

I much prefer van, awning, car. But maybe that's because it always rains when I'm on holiday (less distance to make a dash for the door :rolleyes: )

The CC have really tightened up on this on every site we have been to this year. Some chap had a continental van with the door on the opposite side and they found him a 'special' pitch that was on it's own and the closest to the barrier, he was told he should have informed them on booking!

Every CC site we have been to this year they have made a makeshift model showing car, caravan and awning and you are always told to keep your unit in the middle of the post. I believe this is so if an awning was on fire it does not spread from awning to another awning and the car acts as a fire break. ...

Please don't says cars will burn and they are full of fuel. ..it ain't my rule.

The CC have really tightened up on this on every site we have been to this year. Some chap had a continental van with the door on the opposite side and they found him a 'special' pitch that was on it's own and the closest to the barrier, he was told he should have informed them on booking!

Every CC site we have been to this year they have made a makeshift model showing car, caravan and awning and you are always told to keep your unit in the middle of the post. I believe this is so if an awning was on fire it does not spread from awning to another awning and the car acts as a fire break. ...

Please don't says cars will burn and they are full of fuel. ..it ain't my rule.

But: Cars also burn and they are full of fuel!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist! ) :lol:

I like the continental way of pitching side ways on

I'm currently side ways. We're on a seasonal pitch and in the "SUMMER" moved to a more level pitch as we aquired a new awning. Normally i'd push the caravan in backwards so the towbar is to the front but as it's a sort of CL at the back of a park homes site the pitch we're on now means if you want you can pitch either way.

Before we were on that pitch there were two bigger seasonal caravans last year pitched side on and I actually think it looked better. One owner was just worried about the caravan sticking out too far and to me it was neater so we did this. We don't drive but you can park the car either in front of the caravan or at the back or in front of the awning. The "back" of the pitch which the side is against is just really where we store the bikes covered up as it's all woodland anyway.

Compass Shadow 1988

CC pitch marker post are usually only on a wire pin so all you need to do when pitched as you want is move the post to where the "warden" wants it and everone is happy. :rolleyes:

Ah, but on the last CC site I was on, the warden had sprayed a circle of white paint about 9" radius on the grass around every post so he would know when you have moved the post.

What annoys me are the sites that insist on pitching with the post in the centre of the caravan. You can't see the post when you are reversing.

There are still some sites that ask you to pitch with the post in line with the offside so then you can see the post when reversing.

I am talking about pitching on grass. On hard standing you can see where the boundaries are

Brian

Car Van Awning means your awning is next to your neighbours car. Great and a bit dumb imho. .. When he starts his noisy vehicle up in the morning it wakes the kids up in the awning tent.

Van Awning Car makes more sense to us but this is the CC we are talking about. .. :rolleyes:

Archived