Earwig Invasion (well More Than Two)

Lefthand Down

I think mine have stowed away during visits to Lincolnshire. I first got a sight of odd one when on a visit to Norfolk in the previous van.

I have now had sightings this month in this van and while we have only seen odd ones in the van I worry they may multiply.

I had a real suprise in July taking off the filler cap on the Aquaroll and find a whole group (mums dad and the kids) hiding just round the filling hole.

My first encounter was when they got in the seams of my awning a few years ago.

Does anyone have a sure fire way of dealing with them? And preventing future stowaways?.

The Awnings travel in the car roofbox since my first encounter.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

They do tend to get around, cool damp dark places make them happy little wigs . .. an insect with a wig now there's a. .... sorry I digess. Open cupboards, lift bench seat, apply two short blasts of raid or simlar bug spray into the air, close door and leave for a bit. That ought to remove all unseen pests. As for fuel filler cap, other than perhaps sealing it a little more against pesky intruders it will remain a nice dark happy place. Its kind of like spiders, love em or hate em, they to tend to get where it pleases them. :)

We stayed at Norfolk for the 1st week of our hols then Lincolnshire. ... Never seen so many Ladybirds. ... Everywhere i turned they had amassed.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

There is a spray for hard surfaces that you can get,Raid is one make although there are others. Spray all hard surfaces under lockers, beds etc. This stuff is supposed to last for long periods, weeks if not months. It acts on any bugs that walk/crawl over the surface so even if they aren't in sight at the time you spray eventually you'll get them. I give the van floor under the beds etc. a spray a couple of times a year paying particular attention to any air vents, might not kill them immediately but hopefully will prevent them from setting up home and multiplying.

There is a spray for hard surfaces that you can get,Raid is one make although there are others. Spray all hard surfaces under lockers, beds etc. This stuff is supposed to last for long periods, weeks if not months. It acts on any bugs that walk/crawl over the surface so even if they aren't in sight at the time you spray eventually you'll get them. I give the van floor under the beds etc. a spray a couple of times a year paying particular attention to any air vents, might not kill them immediately but hopefully will prevent them from setting up home and multiplying.

I think I know which one you mean and it is like a lacquer and may be called Dethlac or similar.

Found it:

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Dethlac-woodlice-cockroaches-crawling-insects--250ml/dp/B003ESMNFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315853476&sr=8-1

Thanks

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

When you take your awnings down give the poles a good banging as they congregate inside the poles, we had been pitched for 3 weeks and there was hundreds upon hundreds inside the leg poles, ohmy.gif if you leave them they die and decay and STINK! believe me, we failed to bang ours after last years outing and the poles were chock a block with them, we ended up flushing the poles out with bleach to get rid of the stench.

When you take your awnings down give the poles a good banging as they congregate inside the poles, we had been pitched for 3 weeks and there was hundreds upon hundreds inside the leg poles, ohmy.gif if you leave them they die and decay and STINK! believe me, we failed to bang ours after last years outing and the poles were chock a block with them, we ended up flushing the poles out with bleach to get rid of the stench.

Where did that invasion take place. I have heard they escape from nearby fields if the field is sprayed by the farmer. Were you in an agricultural area by any chance. Lincolnshire is my guess?

Are earwigs the things with the pinchers on the back of them? Got bitten off one and have hated them ever since. I usually find good old ant powder under the seating and when the caravan's not in use does the trick. You find them dead along with any other bugs. I also have the Raid on stand by for when the flies etc are about

Compass Shadow 1988

Big Girls Blouses, worried about a few Earwigs :D

I let the chickens out this morning and they were

everywhere almost like moving lino! The chickens

made short work of them

Had a nasty shock recently when I used the on-board shower for the first time in 7 years ! Was covered by all sorts of deceased Gods little Creatures when I had charged the shower. :unsure: How they got in there ? Who knows ?

Grumpy Auld Smeesh . ........... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2,7d SE Auto Sport . ........

If I can control the urge to do a girlie and run off screaming, awning mallet or shoe heel tend to work for me.

Why do they ALWAYS hide in tube like things and why do they only ever let go when said tube is held at the correct angle to guarentee ejection directly into the raised shirt sleeve or worse, collar?

Yack, 1 vote for complete eradication at your earliest convenience from me.

Paul

I have found a stock of Dethlac in Wilkingsons Shop on the High St.

Cheaper than Amazon as well.

I have drawn up battle plans and the Air (Raid) Attack starts on Saturday. Followed by Dethlac ground Attack

This year (end July/early August) we were in Charmouth, Dorset for 2 weeks and this was the first time we have ever had a problem with earwigs (or anything for that matter) invading our awning. Daughter wasn't too happy as she was sleeping in the awning & the grand-children were in the annex; so there was a concerted hunt every evening before they dossed down for the night!

Where did that invasion take place. I have heard they escape from nearby fields if the field is sprayed by the farmer. Were you in an agricultural area by any chance. Lincolnshire is my guess?

Not Lincolnshire although we do have our fair share, we were in North Norfolk, Escape from the nearby fields!! :lol: earwigs are just part of country life, they are just a pain when they all want to make your awning poles their home :wacko:

That was where my first encounter was.

Not Lincolnshire although we do have our fair share, we were in North Norfolk, Escape from the nearby fields!! :lol: earwigs are just part of country life, they are just a pain when they all want to make your awning poles their home :wacko:

That was where my first encounter was. Wells-next-the-Sea.

Archived