Leisure Battery Inside The Van

Can any one advise if we should not put a second leisure battery inside the van please?

Camping off hook up has flattened my battery on a couple of occasions so we have bought a second battery that we keep in the car boot on route and change over when the demand requires. However the demand always comes either at night or when it is p. ..... down out side!

I want to put the second battery inside the inner fron locker, when we arrive on site, with a duplicate battery connection that I can simply swop over inside the locker. This could be temporary until morning or a weather change or, if near to going home, left until we get back and I can put the charged battery back in the battery locker.

I am at isk in any way doing this please?

Thanks

Pau/

Having a second battery on board will be fine because it is not being charged just stored and used.

If it were charging then different precautions would be needed. IE. during charge gassing period. This is why batteries are in external lockers.

I do recommend a good solar as stated above because it is a lot less weight to cart about. A 20/30 watt would be providing approx 2 amps per hour charge.

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

You need to ensure that the second battery is securely fastened if you leave it in when towing.

If you put it in only when the van is stationary, then no need for fastening, as long as you don't forget yourself and tow the caravan away.

If the battery is going to be electrically connected, there is always a danger that it will get charged in situ. Even sealed batteries can give off hydrogen gas when charging.

Personally, I would just put it in a plastic battery box, which you can buy quite cheaply. This will protect your car when its in the boot and you can place it under the van when connected to your primary battery.

You might want to look at this thread:

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/53881-an-alternative-to-solar-on-cls/

Solar won't help you over the weekend unless you go for a very big panel, either on the roof or on a some sort of tripod arrangement.

Can any one advise if we should not put a second leisure battery inside the van please?

Camping off hook up has flattened my battery on a couple of occasions so we have bought a second battery that we keep in the car boot on route and change over when the demand requires. However the demand always comes either at night or when it is p. ..... down out side!

I want to put the second battery inside the inner fron locker, when we arrive on site, with a duplicate battery connection that I can simply swop over inside the locker. This could be temporary until morning or a weather change or, if near to going home, left until we get back and I can put the charged battery back in the battery locker.

I am at isk in any way doing this please?

Thanks

Pau/

Edited by Barry J

barry can you explain why a solar panel wont help over the weekend ?do they only work monday to friday :lol: on a serious note we have a folding 80 watt paneland can use whatever we want and dont have a problem re battery power also have a 2000 watt inverter connected to two 110 amp batteries so no noisy gennie on our pitch and my beloved can use her hair dryer etc . can swop solar panel from leisure battery to inverter batteries and all fused and master switched with gold plated terminals, weight not an issue, but the ability to use what we want when we want is, jim

Jim

The full quote was:

"Solar won't help you over the weekend unless you go for a very big panel, either on the roof or on a some sort of tripod arrangement".

You start the weekend with 220AH + of charged battery reserves. Many vans have one 80-110AHC battery.

Your 80W panel which is large by caravan standards will generate typically 20-30AH per day on average.

For comparison, a hairdryer, on a 1000VA low setting will take only about 8-9AH per 5 minutes use.

If you start off with a large enough battery reserve, many would get through the weekend without any charging at all.

barry can you explain why a solar panel wont help over the weekend ?do they only work monday to friday :lol: on a serious note we have a folding 80 watt paneland can use whatever we want and dont have a problem re battery power also have a 2000 watt inverter connected to two 110 amp batteries so no noisy gennie on our pitch and my beloved can use her hair dryer etc . can swop solar panel from leisure battery to inverter batteries and all fused and master switched with gold plated terminals, weight not an issue, but the ability to use what we want when we want is, jim

I have my battery in an inner locker in my motorhome. The locker has two vents to the outside (manufacturers design) and I've fitted a split charger so it stays charged all the time. Having said that, I have a gas light, 12v fluorescent lights, and everything electrical is 12 volts. Not having mains powered equipment does mean that batteries don't become drained as quickly as they would if using mains equipment via an inverter. This is to a large degree by deliberate design since I love the ability to 'wild camp' wherever I want for days on end without having to worry about hook ups etc. to power my equipment. The only time I use a hook up - even on campsites - is for a single mains powered halogen heater in winter. Even then, a gas fire is in reserve. As such I have no need for solar panels but may fit a small one to the engine battery for when the van is standing for long periods between use.

I'll be taking my van over to the continent next year and am planning to drive down through France through the Pyrenees to Spain. Most of the time I'll be using Aires and only using campsites when I want showers or just fancy something a bit 'posher' than an Aire. Does anybody else have this sort of setup?