Bailey Unicorn Madrid

Nidge4

We ordered a Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2012 last week, never thought that their would be no Sat or TV external connection point, at least we can't see it in the spec. Off to the dealers to check its not in the Battery box where all others are situated, if not looks like we will have to pay the dealer to fit on the PDI, if it is they don't include it in the spec, then l am not impressed. l know its only small issue but having to pay extra of something that would have cost pennies at build on a 20K van really annoys me, l know l could have the lead through the Kitchen window but l hate that looks naff.

NigelH

We ordered a Bailey Unicorn Madrid 2012 last week, never thought that their would be no Sat or TV external connection point, at least we can't see it in the spec. Off to the dealers to check its not in the Battery box where all others are situated, if not looks like we will have to pay the dealer to fit on the PDI, if it is they don't include it in the spec, then l am not impressed. l know its only small issue but having to pay extra of something that would have cost pennies at build on a 20K van really annoys me, l know l could have the lead through the Kitchen window but l hate that looks naff.

NigelH

As someone that joined the caravan fraternity in December last year, I was amazed at the extra kit that you needed to get going. When buying a car, you don’t need to buy the battery and the fuel lines as extras, but in our Unicorn Valencia, neither the battery nor the gas hoses from bottle to regulator were included. I only realise now that some manufacturers, for example, do include the gas hoses.

In our Unicorn, there was no provision for a satellite or an external terrestrial aerial connection. I have installed an F connector in the battery box and have modified the aerial/DC plate in the van to include the other F connector. I use this for satellite and for external terrestrial connections.

We experienced quite a lot of rain in Brittany this year, and so we used this quite a lot.

I also prefer playing the TV through the radio as it sounds better and the speakers are also bettered placed. The transmitter in the Avtec TV worked, but not brilliantly, so I tried an external FM transmitter, which was also flaky.

I thus ran a good quality screened lead from the same socket by the TV to the radio which can be used with the TV or an MP3 player/phone.

I also feel that a carbon monoxide/gas detector is essential too, but all that you get is a standard smoke detector.

Surely these should be offered as standard or as optional extras??

Edited by wiz2003

NigelH

I had noticed on site this year all the newer model Bailey's having aerial cables going through the nearest window. You would have thought that external connections would be standard in this day and age.

On a positive side you can park your Mondeo on the roof of the caravan !!!

Been to the dealers today to get a price on fitting the connection asked the office how much to fit a external connection in Battery Box £75! , wait for it manager heard in the office could be a little bit more than that, sent the engineer with me to see where l wanted it located told him to fit it in the battery box and to hook up to the front window TV point, no problem was is answer we have new TV/ sat points in stock ready to go. Now for the shock, back to the Service manager quick calc on is calculator that will be £120. So from a little bit more than £75 its almost doubled, ask the question shrug of the shoulders that’s the price, so what if l fit it myself you have all the parts in the shop, yes you could but you will invoke the warranty. Now if that’s not holding a loaded gun to your head l don't know what is. No wonder their are lots of new Baileys on site with unsightly cables through their windows. Think l will wait until the Battery box warranty runs out next year and do it myself. A little disappointed with Baileys for not adding this connection to their top of the range vans, even more with the dealer for charging over 100 quid for a job that wouldn’t take more than an hour, parts can’t be more than 20 quid so they are on 50 quid an hour (Quoted 2 hr two do the work) not bad work if you can get it. Really has taken the shine off swapping our caravan, really is rip off Britain.

Sad Hector

Whinge over

Seems a bit OTT to me.

Ask them what the hourly rate is and how many hours they estimate ?

VAT is another thing - they often add this on after the quote.

Its between one and two hours work depending on exact locations and obstructions.

Been to the dealers today to get a price on fitting the connection asked the office how much to fit a external connection in Battery Box £75! , wait for it manager heard in the office could be a little bit more than that, sent the engineer with me to see where l wanted it located told him to fit it in the battery box and to hook up to the front window TV point, no problem was is answer we have new TV/ sat points in stock ready to go. Now for the shock, back to the Service manager quick calc on is calculator that will be £120. So from a little bit more than £75 its almost doubled, ask the question shrug of the shoulders that's the price, so what if l fit it myself you have all the parts in the shop, yes you could but you will invoke the warranty. Now if that's not holding a loaded gun to your head l don't know what is. No wonder their are lots of new Baileys on site with unsightly cables through their windows. Think l will wait until the Battery box warranty runs out next year and do it myself. A little disappointed with Baileys for not adding this connection to their top of the range vans, even more with the dealer for charging over 100 quid for a job that wouldn't take more than an hour, parts can't be more than 20 quid so they are on 50 quid an hour (Quoted 2 hr two do the work) not bad work if you can get it. Really has taken the shine off swapping our caravan, really is rip off Britain.

Sad Hector

Whinge over

I agree, daft in this day and age they aren't fitted as standard. There wasn't one on mine so fixed a box to the left of the on board water tank locker and ran the cables up through the o/s front window pillar. Also fitted a phono and HDMI socket above existing outlet on inside of same pillar, with a Humax satelite reciever which fits nicely on the shelf above the radio; sorted!

NigelH

I wanted an external TV socket in the area of the water connection point. I fitted all of the internal cables and ran them through to the bed locker. All the dealer had to do was drill the hole in the wall and fit the socket/box. £90 but as I didnt want to drill the panel and invoke the warranty I had no choice. Ho hum

I have solved this problem quite easily.

In the Olympus 464 the TV aerial cable is routed through the off side bed locker around the onboard water tank.

I interupted this aerial lead and fed an aerial extension through an existing hole into the offside front locker. When on site I drop this extension down the wet locker drain hole.

I also fed another TV Aerial lead upto the front shelf.

In the nearside bed locker next to the onboard Water tank I therefore have two supplying sources - The Van's TV Aerial and an external extension labeled 'Van TV Areial' and 'External TV/Sat'. And two destinations - The Van's designed TV location and an extension to the front shelf, labeled 'Front shelf TV point' and 'Kitchen TV point'

Thus if I am on a site with a TV aerial point on the EHU I can just connect to it.

If I am using the satellite, I add a Aerial to Sat conversion socket to each end and use the TV Aerial lead as the 'within van' satellite lead. The conversion connectors were about £2 in Maplins.

If I am usinf the Status Aerial I connect it to either the Front or Kitchen lead.

I can therefore bring in TV or Satellite from outside or continue to use the Status aerial, and can also use any of these at either the designed kitchen TV point or have the TV on the front shelf.

I find this a simple very low cost solution which apart from interupting the Status to TV aerial run has not affected the van structurally at all.

I fitted my own satellite socket under the awning 230v outlet flap. I then ran a coax lead to the front as that is where we plant the tv. Works great and took about 20 minutes and the labour was free!!

Hi Wiz

You have me intrigued there with the connection you have made from your TV to radio. Like you I have tried using the built-in transmitter but there was too much interference to make it a comfortable experience. I have looked at the back of the TV but didnt see any audio outputs (I was going to run phono cables through to the radio/cd). Could you explain how you managed it please,

Thanks

Neil

May look at fitting it myself an ignore the dealers threat of invoking the warranty. If l do it in the battery box where there is provision for one, 4 pre drilled holes pointed out to me by their service fitter, how can l invoke the warranty and if l do it can only be the battery box itself not the water ingress as l haven’t touched the outside walls. The other option is the where the 230v outside plug is could get a f connector their no problem, not wiling to give them £120 for a job that should only cost £75 in their own words, Dick Turpin springs to mind or maybe the service manager worked once for one of the high street banks.

I do think though that Baileys really need to look at it's spec sheet, after all it was Tim Howard on the Caravan Channel that was raving about the Unicorn on how it's taken the company into top of the range selective market, well Tim without any means of connecting to TV point on the hook up Bollards or satellite dishes without going through an open window.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4

Been back to the dealers today, saw the Salesman l deal with now he's back off hols, sorted out the external sat point got it for the origanal price of £75, two points fitted at that, external point to be fitted in side the 230v compartment. Also got a good deal on the Gardx paint seal, all in all now satisfied with our deal but still think Baileys need to include an outside sat or TV point in their Spec.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4