Buying A New Caravan

ReadFive

Hi guys, we've been looking at new caravans for sale where we live in the north of Spain and we've found one we like. We were wondering if you guys had any advice to give us about the Make, Model and reliability. It is a TEC WELTBUMMLER 550 TKM.

We have 3 small kids and my brother in law who will also come with us regularly.

The Caravan has 3 bunk beds and is 2. 50m wide. The idea would be to go touring around Europe and I hope return to England to show the Mrs and kids how beautiful our Country is and how proud I am to be British (English) lmfao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to all the good, bad, indifferent and sarcastic replies !!!!!!!!!! lol

I'd never heard of them, had to go look it up on the wonderweb. Looks nice enough though, other than that I have no idea about anything else regarding reliability etc, but I just thought I'd tell you that seeing as you're looking forward to the replies :lol:

Hopefully someone will come along soon who can help you. Happy caravan shopping! :)

TEC are very popular in Europe, and are built to European spec, i. e. no cooker, and may be small fridge, maybe no a lot of sockets either. . Europeans live outdoors, not in their caravans, which are for sleeping only. TEC is a very solid make, and if the spec suits you, go for it. We were very tempted by the Weltbummler when we first looked for vans, attracted initially by the unusual name, but when we saw it we thought it was excellent.

Hi ReadFive,

T. E. C. Caravans are made at Sassenbourg in Germany along with L. M. C. , they are owned by Hymer. In 1999 when ABI went to the wall, long time main dealer Gary Glen at ELITE Caravans,Blisworth decided to " Go for something different ", and became the UK's importer of T. E. C. , I purchased my first Welltbumler in 2000 and have since owned four others, then a GEIST ( which was made in the same factory ) and now a Hymer 545 SL. I founded the T. E. C. Owners Club and it is still going strong today. I'm sure you realise the benefits of a Continental manufactured 'van to be used in Europe sooner than a UK 'van. This twaddle about no UK type extra's is Just twaddle, my first Welltbumler in 2000 had extras unheard of,but soon to on UK 'vans. Fly screens all round,inboard tank and plumbing,fixed bed,two door fridge freezer,7'6" wide,ali wheels,heavy duty corner steadies,shock absorbers the list goes on. If you require any further info on the 'van or indeed wished to have it checked and serviced by someone who knows all about these superb caravans contact Gary @ http://www. elitecaravans. co. uk/ or Ken Platt @ http://tecownersclub. ..eatbritain. com/. Enjoy your caravaning,catch ya later,indoors.

Edited by indoors

Hi ReadFive,

T. E. C. Caravans are made at Sassenbourg in Germany along with L. M. C. , they are owned by Hymer. In 1999 when ABI went to the wall, long time main dealer Gary Glen at ELITE Caravans,Blisworth decided to " Go for something different ", and became the UK's importer of T. E. C. , I purchased my first Welltbumler in 2000 and have since owned four others, then a GEIST ( which was made in the same factory ) and now a Hymer 545 SL. I founded the T. E. C. Owners Club and it is still going strong today. I'm sure you realise the benefits of a Continental manufactured 'van to be used in Europe sooner than a UK 'van. This twaddle about no UK type extra's is Just twaddle, my first Welltbumler in 2000 had extras unheard of,but soon to on UK 'vans. Fly screens all round,inboard tank and plumbing,fixed bed,two door fridge freezer,7'6" wide,ali wheels,heavy duty corner steadies,shock absorbers the list goes on. If you require any further info on the 'van or indeed wished to have it checked and serviced by someone who knows all about these superb caravans contact Gary @ http://www. elitecaravans. co. uk/ or Ken Platt @ http://tecownersclub. ..eatbritain. com/. Enjoy your caravaning,catch ya later,indoors.

You seem to have owned 6 caravans in 11 years. ...... is it just me or do my fellow Englishmen change their vans more often than I change my pants !!!!!!!! lol

TEC are very popular in Europe, and are built to European spec, i. e. no cooker, and may be small fridge, maybe no a lot of sockets either. . Europeans live outdoors, not in their caravans, which are for sleeping only. TEC is a very solid make, and if the spec suits you, go for it. We were very tempted by the Weltbummler when we first looked for vans, attracted initially by the unusual name, but when we saw it we thought it was excellent.

Hi, We've also looked at the odd Burstner as well there's a belcanto 560 TK which we like but it's a bit more expensive than the TEC Weltbummler 550 TKM, which is the best in your opinion etc and WHY ?

As Indoors so rightly writes the T. E. C. vans are very well made indeed.

We have a couple of them come here each year and their owners both have ear to ear grins about the quality of their purchases and the fact that neither of them have had a single fault or problem with them.

They would also appear to tow superbly going by the comments I have heard.

They are nice vans but most lack equipment.

My Caravan is a Travel King 440 TE, it has the blown air system fitted even in the toilet/shower :rolleyes:, enough room as well to shower in,electric flush toilet :P, hot and cold water,Truma boiler and Trumavent air system fitted,fixed bunk beds,mains electric,as well as 12 volt battery system,all wired into rcd unit,(factory fitted,)folding table to bed level (no more collapsing on the floor because bed/table doesn't fit as it should)3 way fridge with good size freezer compartment,gas manifold for all appliances :) :) :)

Hi all,

No we have owned seven caravans since 2000,WHY? because we fortunately could!! Having visited the factory many times and being interested in what was coming through, to have next years model held a certain panache, but none of the T. E. C. caravans had changed their body style, probably similar thinking to BMW and Mercedes cars. Personally if the choice was mine I'd choose the TEC over the Burstner, but I'd choose a Burstner over any popular UK 'van. Enjoy your choice,catch ya later,indoors.

Hi all,

No we have owned seven caravans since 2000,WHY? because we fortunately could!! Having visited the factory many times and being interested in what was coming through, to have next years model held a certain panache, but none of the T. E. C. caravans had changed their body style, probably similar thinking to BMW and Mercedes cars. Personally if the choice was mine I'd choose the TEC over the Burstner, but I'd choose a Burstner over any popular UK 'van. Enjoy your choice,catch ya later,indoors.

Thanks for the advice, indoors.

Have you had A. T. C in any of your caravans, do you think it's a good idea ? Does it come as standard in England or is it an extra ?

Hi all,

No I've never had A. T. C. on any caravan I've owned ( that being 12 new 'vans since '89 ) and after being told by my freind in the trade, the problems ATC is causing I dont think I'd bother utilising it if it was fitted to my next 'van. I don't wish to stir the mucky stuff with others,But it has been confirmed on this Forum many others have grave concerns. I do believe in keeping my caravans well serviced and can honestly advise that I have been very satisfied with the towing capabilities of the seven so far Continental 'vans I've owned. I've also towed many empty of all the T. E. C. models back from Sassenbourg without problem at speeds way in excess of UK speed limits. Catch ya later,indoors.

The AL-KO ATC system having problems here in GB are mainly stemmed from incompetent tow bar electrics fitting. The LEAS anti snake system has been on the European market much longer & has the advantage of being able to swap from van to van

Personally if the choice was mine I'd choose the TEC over the Burstner, but I'd choose a Burstner over any popular UK 'van. Enjoy your choice,catch ya later,indoors.

We looked at both and went for Burstner, mainly because the layout suited us and there was a "nearly new" one for sale locally. Not having owned a TEC it would be wrong of me to compare, but if you end up with a Burstner I I am sure you will be as happy as we are with ours.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments and advice in the end we've decided to get the Tec Weltbummler 550 TKM !!!!!

we'll let you know how it goes !!!!!

Hi ReadFive,

I don't know whether the purchase is private or from a dealer, if you have any concerns or questions regarding your Weltbummler you are welcome to ask on this forum or PM me or you are welcome to contact the T. E. C. Owners club http://www. tecownersclub. net/ . Enjoy being part of the T. E. C. family. Catch ya later,indoors.