What's Your Length

Wmc711

Ours is just short of 38 ft.

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Here is the other running topic you might like to read on.

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/topic/54179-for-the-long-ones-how-long-is-your-combination/page__p__556130__fromsearch__1#entry556130

There are some of us up around the 44 foot mark

Graham

Hi was wondering if there is a legal limit on maximum length of car and caravan before needing long vehicle signs

My car and van measure 39ft 8 inches

As I understand it the length of car is irrelevant. For any car up to 3. 5 tonnes (from government web site). The 7m length (again as I understand it) does not include tow bar.

Width and length

The width limit for any towing vehicle is 2. 55 metres. The length limit is 7 metres for a trailer towed by a vehicle weighing up to 3. 5 tonnes (3,500 kilograms).

As Easy T pointed out the length does not include the draw bar (which in itself seems to be a bit odd), but if it is 7m including draw bar then the large majority of caravans on the road would be illegal. Last time I looked well over 50% of new vans for sale are over 7m overall length.

ElBeardo smile.gif

40ft 2 Inches (or 12. 265m) for car and caravan combined (plus a few more inches for the towbar which isn't included in the factory length!)

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

These rules don't apply in the UK to leisure vehicles. Spain is a different matter, and you need plates for a rig total length over 12m.

The length of miy set up is 13. 29M with the A frame included or 12. 29 without the A Frame. Not sure what is is in feet and inches. So if I go to Spain I will need a sign for the back. What other countries have this requirement.

My total langth of outfit is 13 m . Only real problem on any outfits length is on ferries . Some ferry companies have different booking requirements if over 13 m.

Dave

Total length at the moment is 13. 1 metres, not including tow bar.

That's 42' 10" in old money.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

inc' A frame our rig is app' 29 feet (8. 8 mtrs) long, so don't envisage any problems with ferries and such should we decide to take it abroad next season

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

I just worked ours out to be 1/2 inch over 41 feet.

I thought mine was long at 12. 26 metres,(40ft 3") but looking at some of the earlier posts it 1s not as bad as I thought. I am worried about Spain now though. I was in Spain 2008-9 and 2010. Was I illegal?

I thought mine was long at 12. 26 metres,(40ft 3") but looking at some of the earlier posts it 1s not as bad as I thought. I am worried about Spain now though. I was in Spain 2008-9 and 2010. Was I illegal?

We are over 12 metres in lenght and travel round Spain quite a lot and we always use marker boards when we cross the border from France,

Hi nsbj. Yes,but why could it have been/was/is it illegal in Spain?,is it just because of the need to display the statutory long vehicle sign?.

I am not certain when the ruling was active from.

Our Volvo T5 & 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco comes in at 42 feet or 12. 8metrs. An outfit with a total length in excess of 12 metres is required to have a LONG VEHICLE board attached to the rear of the caravan/trailer. If the tiniest bit over there is an on the spot fine,I believe it is in excess of 100 Euro.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

If the tiniest bit over there is an on the spot fine,I believe it is in excess of 100 Euro.

i come in at 37Ft (11. 215m) so thats a tiny bit under :) but i'ld still put the long vehicle stickers on, that way they can't moan :) better safe than sorry (100 euro's i know Spains going bankrumpt but do they have to take it out on Mr Tourist)?

Hi nsbj. Yes,but why could it have been/was/is it illegal in Spain?,is it just because of the need to display the statutory long vehicle sign?.

I am not certain when the ruling was active from.

Our Volvo T5 & 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco comes in at 42 feet or 12. 8metrs. An outfit with a total length in excess of 12 metres is required to have a LONG VEHICLE board attached to the rear of the caravan/trailer. If the tiniest bit over there is an on the spot fine,I believe it is in excess of 100 Euro.

Thanks for this. Yes I was referring to the fact that I have no boards. What boards should I have and where can I get them? Are there stick on ones, as I don't want to have to drill the van.

Thanks for this. Yes I was referring to the fact that I have no boards. What boards should I have and where can I get them? Are there stick on ones, as I don't want to have to drill the van.

Hi nsbj. There was an offer from the Caravan Club some time ago,I'm guessing about 12months. I believe that they are also available through Tow-sure.

What I intend to do is by the signs and mount them on a stripped-out trailer lighting board,they are very light and easy to handle. I intend to fix/suspend it side to side across the rear of the caravan using the rear grab-handles as my locations. The rear of the board would likely need some cushioning material fixing to the back to avoid abrasion damage to the caravan.

The have to comply with certain fixing/height from the ground requirements,again I believe I saw all of this on the Tow-sure site,I also recall seeing it covered on the www. NTTA. co. uk website.

I myself would not use the Stick-on ones because of the ease of them being removed by others and the possible damage to the paint finish,remember the Oval GB stickers and ' L' plates.

My notion of attaching them hung between the rear grab-handles was by using either elasticated luggage hooks fastened to the board or leather straps with buckles. They could be removed during rest-up periods and re-attached when ready to move off again.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi nsbj. There was an offer from the Caravan Club some time ago,I'm guessing about 12months. I believe that they are also available through Tow-sure.

What I intend to do is by the signs and mount them on a stripped-out trailer lighting board,they are very light and easy to handle. I intend to fix/suspend it side to side across the rear of the caravan using the rear grab-handles as my locations. The rear of the board would likely need some cushioning material fixing to the back to avoid abrasion damage to the caravan.

The have to comply with certain fixing/height from the ground requirements,again I believe I saw all of this on the Tow-sure site,I also recall seeing it covered on the www. NTTA. co. uk website.

I myself would not use the Stick-on ones because of the ease of them being removed by others and the possible damage to the paint finish,remember the Oval GB stickers and ' L' plates.

My notion of attaching them hung between the rear grab-handles was by using either elasticated luggage hooks fastened to the board or leather straps with buckles. They could be removed during rest-up periods and re-attached when ready to move off again.

sounds like a good plan. Thanks Rooster.

Archived