Car Towing Caravan Crashes And Overturns Near Dalwhinnie Today

basilfawlty

Came across this on the Beeb happened today just before midday, 4 people injured one must be pretty serious as they were airlifted to hospital, you can only hope they are all ok the story is here

Oh no, I hope everyone involved makes a speedy recovery xx

Amen

a bad stretch of road along dalwinnie, long straights with long blind bends always accidents on that stretch, in fact the hole A9 is bad . its usualy the idiot doing 90 comming the other way over taking thats the problem :(

speedy recovery though

How do we know it was windy. ...

If you look at the car behind the caravan, it has it's front end smashed in. ....

Back end of the van looks intact. ... But both front ends damaged. .. To me lookslike a head on. ..

What really did happen?

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

If you look at the car behind the caravan, it has it's front end smashed in. ....

Back end of the van looks intact. ... But both front ends damaged. .. To me lookslike a head on. ..

What really did happen?

Hard to judge but you may well be right.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

i think with up to 3 tons of car & caravan head on hitting you I would expect to see more damage than a front end, he proberbly crashed into back end of van but only a guess,nice to see the investigation results even if its just so we can learn from the mistakes that caused this incident.

Oh dear what a devastating sight :blink: hope all are ok too and the investigators can get to the bottom of it

Compass Shadow 1988

It may be a head-on, but if so it was at comparatively low speed. I say that because there is only minor damage to the front of the red car and the windscreen is intact. Neither has rolled. Also, neither car has had the roof removed by the Fire and Rescue. I expect one person went by helicopter as they had run out of ambulances and it was handy. I suspect that the white car was the towcar, but I have less evidence for that except it is larger.

What really did happen?

How do we know it wasnt windy, that was my observation of that stretch of road which I travel regularly, it wasnt a suggestion of the cause of the rta.

Guest Benzowner

Looks like the A frame has either been cut off or has snapped ?

Dave

May be that the bolts holding the A Frame failed. Fortunate as the tow ball rarely lets go, maybe it didnt and the car rolled as well, although the roof of the red car looks ok.

Rule No1 is don't try to guess what happened from the photos.

Totally agree, lets not try to second guess.

If someone finds a link to a news item that explains, would they please post it.

GPS

Rule no 2 is if you know what you are doing don't worry about rule1 ;-)

I have done several accident investigation courses, and rule No1 is don't try to guess what happened from the photos.

Just been reading the article a few minutes ago, hope all involved are all going to be ok.

But it does annoy me when I read that people say that the A9 is dangerous, the road is ok, it's the irresponsible drivers that are dangerous.

Just been reading the article a few minutes ago, hope all involved are all going to be ok.

But it does annoy me when I read that people say that the A9 is dangerous, the road is ok, it's the irresponsible drivers that are dangerous.

Got to agree! I've never been attacked by a road yet!

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/10454356 You are right but check this out. The roads are badly designed and lull drivers into a sense of false security

On average ratings across all the regions, Scotland had the most dangerous motorway and A-road network, with 12% in the higher risk categories.

But when it came to the highest risk individual roads, none of the Scottish ones made Britain's top 10.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

irresponsible drivers that are dangerous yes i agree, but long stretches of straights with long blind bends says dangerous road as i said always crashes on that stretch

We towed past the aftermath of this accident yesterday afternoon heading North on our way home. We were relieved to read that, according to the BBC website, none of the injuries were life threatening and wish those injured a speedy recovery.

The caravan was just being moved away on a recovery vehicle (correct way up) but the cars involved were still where they ended up. I totally agree with the earlier comment that it is impossible to guess what happened from the photograph. We had no idea of the cause having seen the area out of the car window as we were directed onto the diversion by the police. I do not think that the wind would have been a factor as we found that the wind had dropped off significantly from what we experienced when we left that morning from a CL near Lancaster and the road was dry when we passed but that was sometime after the accident.

We only saw the scene because the accident happened at the junction of the A889 with the A9 but there was, fortunately, room for the police to turn traffic off onto the A889. This is the old A9 and I had not driven this stretch through Dalwhinnie for many years and the diversion made me realise what a huge improvement the current A9 (built in the mid 70s) is despite its obvious faults.

I suspect that the junction may have been a factor in the accident but only those involved will actually know (if they can remember) and the police report, which we are unlikely to see, should identify the root cause.

May be that the bolts holding the A Frame failed. Fortunate as the tow ball rarely lets go, maybe it didnt and the car rolled as well, although the roof of the red car looks ok.

Although you don't actually know which car was towing the caravan. ....

Rule no 2 is if you know what you are doing don't worry about rule1 ;-)

Yep, but it is always what they tell you at the start. Don't second guess by the photos.

Defintely agree with this. ..the A9 is a fine road through one of Scotlands most beatiful areas - its drivers that are at fault. As I understand it, many of the accidents are caused by drivers thinking they are on Dual Carriageway when they are not. ..this is down to the frequent changes between them. The answer seems simple to me - DOUBLE WHITE LINES on most of the non-dual carriageway sections - I know this wouldn't stop everyone but it would make it an offence and would surely let those not familar with this rule that they could NOT overtake. Also, much cheaper than making it all dual-carraigeway.

On average ratings across all the regions, Scotland had the most dangerous motorway and A-road network, with 12% in the higher risk categories.

But when it came to the highest risk individual roads, none of the Scottish ones made Britain's top 10.

You beat me to it Lefthand. I was just about to Post your exact comment. The big problem with this road being a Major Trunk Route for HGV's to Inverness they are restricted to 40mph on a good part if not most of the route which causes massive frustration for car drivers. Have witnessed many close shaves of vehicles taking chances simply threw frustration plus the Tourist Season doubles the Risk. Hope the occupants escaped unscathed. .......... ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ...........:angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar SType 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ..........

Do you see the gas bottle hanging out the front window! Its always windy on that stretch of road.
The gas bottle strap on my 3 year old van is laughable and I think it is typical. The belt on my trousers is stronger.

Archived