Advice Required.

Yehiknow

Hi guys.

I am completely new to caravanning but have decided it is the way forward for holidaying with a young family. Just come back from a holiday in france and it was a complete nightmare, flying etc. Parents had a caravan when I was younger and I loved it, so im taking the plunge and buying one of my own. However i know very little about what I should be looking for in a caravan. Been round a few dealers and my wife and I really liked the elddis as they seem quite stylish and modern. We both liked the 6 berth with the fixed bunks. We had set a budget of 9 to 10 k and were shown a few different models. One was a 2009 elddis avante 6 berth which was really nice but was 12k and just out of our price range. The dealer then showed us a 2009 elddis xplore which was 10k. There appeared to be very little difference in appearance apart from the pricier one had a microwave fitted, but I could not see any difference apart from that, and the only think the dealer pointed out was the the xplore was the entry level model. Long winded way of asking but, what actually is the difference between these models,ie are the pricier ones of better build quality or is there more features on them that the dealer didn't point out. We are paying cash and am looking to keep this for at least 5 years. Is it worth paying the extra for the pricier model. A fridge, cooker and beds is all I need in my spec but am concerned that the cheaper model is built with lesser materials and will start to fall apart after a few years of use.

Thanks in advance.

S

hi,

i feel it doesnt matter about the bells and whistles as long as you have a feel for the caravan,i am new to caravanning as well and with 3 kids the hols were getting pricey so we bought a fleetwood caravan,she is getting on a bit but we wanted to see if we took to it and have we (just wish i could have more annual leave) :D my advice would be buy something a little cheaper to see if you like it which we have done then look at upgrading in the future,as for the caravans falling apart,if you have them serviced every year and look after them then it should see you right for a number of years.

russ.

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable about the subject will be along shortly.

However, we have an Avante and it does all we need.

If I look at the 2012 spec ones, I suddenly think that one or two of the features might be useful, but until I looked, I was unaware and living in blissful ignorance with our 2001 model.

There can't be that much difference between the 2009 Avante and Xplore ? I doubt there is any difference in the build quality.

Why don't you make a check list/matrix and compare them ?

I never understand why Elddis don't do this for you as some of the car makers do ?

Which one did you like the best - layout is very key. .??

Edited by Barry J

Hi S,

I have a 2008 model Compass Corona. Compass were taken over by Elddis a few years ago but pretty much the same caravan. The Corona model was the entry level caravan, with the Omega next in line then the top level Rallye.

Mine is the 'entry level' Corona Club 624 Twin axle with side fixed bed and huge transverse end washroom. I bought it new in 2008 and still looks new now (when it's been washed) inside is still new looking too. I think the difference with the models are being with better upholstery, nicer wood or different style of wood interior plus some extra 'bits n pieces' on the top line models. I'm certainly more than happy with mine.

Having young children, I'd be more inclined to go for a more basic model (please don't take offence) as there will be spills and breakages. I'm looking at possibly changing 'vans next year and looking again at the Elddis range, sadly the Xplore doesn't have the layout I'm looking for so really fancy the Oddysy range.

Hope this helps. ...

Regards

Diefer

Hiya we have the eldis xploren 546 and there are 6 of us. We bought it because we were new to caravanning and it was the only 6 berth we could tow without changing the car as well. We have found it to be a great little caravan the only fault being the fold out bunk really is ok for occasional use but not the most comfy for longer term. Definitely recommend it for a starter van

Hi

my only thought is have you considered how big (tall) your kids will be in 5 years time as that is often overlooked!

I have three girls and wish that I had given privacy a bit more of a consideration and chose a different layout mellow.gif

but as this is my first van and I have had it for two years now, I will consider upgrading soon!!!

Hoggy

Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually preferred the xplore as it had bunk beds at the back which the kids will love. It's just that the upholstery, furnishings etc( apart from the microwave) everything else looked the same and my concern was that that the actual van quality is where the savings were made in the cheaper one. As I intend this purcase to last me for a while I was just worried that it would be a false economy by buying the cheaper one.

whilst it is ok to get excited about choosing a new caravan, please stop and consider whether the car you intend using to tow the caravan with is suitable.

GPS

I have a 98 Bailey pageant champagne absolute minter

Took me months of looking at loads of vans

We fancied large 6 berth for 10k but decided if we didn't enjoy it was a big loss to take

Paid 1500 for van love it to bits spent 700 tarting it up now looks like a later model ie new lino carpets foam and upholstery also seems to be better built than a lot of newer models real hinges and catches rather than plastic

We had looked at a few older vans as we origionally had set a budget of 6 to 7k. They were 2005 and 2006 models but they also looked a bit worn and wife wasn't exactly enthusiastic about them whereas the 2009 vans we looked at were like new. As it is going to be long term we thought it would be worthwhile to spend a wee bit extra to get something we were both enthusiastic about.

I never gave the tow car much thought. I already have a 320i touring which I'm getting fitted a with a towbar next week as I assumed it would suffice for any caravan I purchased. I'm sure it would be preferrable to have a diesel but I'm happy with my car and would not really want to change it simply for this purpose.

I never gave the tow car much thought. I already have a 320i touring which I'm getting fitted a with a towbar next week as I assumed it would suffice for any caravan I purchased. I'm sure it would be preferrable to have a diesel but I'm happy with my car and would not really want to change it simply for this purpose.

You might want to take a look at THIS website, as a newbie to towing a caravan, you should be looking for the MTPLM of your caravan to be as near to 85% of the kerb weight of your car, provided it is within the towing capacity of your car.

Also have you considered the Gross Train Weight of your potential outfit as there are resrictions on what you can tow if you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997.

GPS

We tow the explore with a galaxy 1. 8d but like I say the explore is the lightest 6 berth and that was the only one we could tow

Hi my advice is buy cheaper (but with care) as if you find it doesn't suit you wont lose a fortune but if you do and want to upgrade you wont lose that way either, take a damp meter or more importantly someone with experience of vanning, This is my opinion only look at some of the german makes as they seem to me better made

Edited by basilfawlty

Thanks for the advice guys about buying cheaper but just don't see the point in buying an older model just to change in a couple of years. We've made a decision to invest in one that will do us for some time. Was just concerned that buying a basic model would not be as worthwhile in the long term.

As has already been said, check to make sure your car is going to be heavy enough to tow the six berth you're looking at. If you're unsure, just let us know the car details and someone will check the 85% guidelines for you.

Diefer

Hi Yehinow,

Were you looking at the vans in Banbridge. I think I might have seen the Xplore you're talking about on Saturday. I think the MTPLM is slightly over 1300kg.

I have an Avondale Dart 556-6 with the same layout. It's great for the kids (10, 7 and 6). The rear bunks are the full width of the van so plenty of 'growing' room. I took it to France in July via Rosslare-Roscoff and had a great time. If you need to weigh your car, there's a public weigh bridge at Sprucefield in Lisburn which is free to use.

Cheers,

Andy

Yes arbamus.

That's exactly the van I was looking at. There will only be 4 of us for most of the time but really liked the 6 berth layout. Think the car should be ok as have checked it against the chart that was put in a link. Hope so. Theres a guy coming to fit the towbar tomorrow so I'm pretty stuffed if it's not ok.

Cheers

S

We have an Explore 452. We chose it because it was cheaper and lighter than most.

Now when comparing it to our fellow campers vans which are all higher spec, we find that it seems to boil down to the lack of extra trim, fancy cupboards, fewer TV aerial, mains and 12v points. It has fewer lights and the higher level extras like gas bbq points, external cupboards, roof mounted fans, Microwave etc. Outside we can see that the fibreglass mouldings are fewer and smaller. All this adds to £2 to 3K lower than theirs.

I can't see that it is any less durable or of a lower quality. We've been inside some other Elddis vans and noted that they have the same cupboards and some of the fittings. Even though it is equipped to a lower level, it has some good features too: ours has sprung bench seat cushions rather than the cheaper all foam versions (a better sleep, not to be underestimated). I like the headroom at the front of the van and the uncluttered look of the interior. A van with lots of lovely trim looks brilliant on a dealer's pitch but after we've left our own clutter, it begins to look less important.

As has been said, if the layout suits you and the weight is right, it's a good choice.

As a personal note, I have difficulty getting my Explore to balance with a noseweight within spec for the car (75Kg). I have to travel without gas bottles in the locker, it's a bit of a bind. Perhaps just my model, but I would get the dealer to specify that it will balance with a normal load. For me, in the future, it will be a deal breaker if it won't balance.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

Dave

Edited by Fidget

Cheers Fidget

If it's only extras that you mention then that would not be a problem. Was happy with the one I viewed that it would do the job nicely for our family. Makes me feel a bit happier about purchasing this. Now to put in a cheeky cash sale offer :)

S