Caravan Club - Adults Only.

Davebelcanto

Have just returned with our van and when looking through recent topics came across a topic reference the CC where it was mentioned the CC don't have/Encourage/promote Adults only sites. As this topic has been closed I could not comment hence this new topic.

Without "rubbishing" what was said in the previous topic the CC does have at least one adults only site on the network.

Would suggest all those who think otherwise to look up Bath Chew Valley site at the front of their site directorys.

It is, has been and still is an adults only site and has received plenty of advertising over the years and indeed quite recently in articles in the club magazine!

I rest my case!

Dave

Have just returned with our van and when looking through recent topics came across a topic reference the CC where it was mentioned the CC don't have/Encourage/promote Adults only sites. As this topic has been closed I could not comment hence this new topic.

Without "rubbishing" what was said in the previous topic the CC does have at least one adults only site on the network.

Would suggest all those who think otherwise to look up Bath Chew Valley site at the front of their site directorys.

It is, has been and still is an adults only site and has received plenty of advertising over the years and indeed quite recently in articles in the club magazine!

I rest my case!

Dave

The Bath Chew Valley site is not a Caravan Club site. It is privately owned and run and is only affiliated to the Caravan Club in exchange for a fee to the Club.

As a private site is able to advertise and be run as an Adults only site.

I appreciate the Chew valley site is an affiliated site to the CC and "affords" a position in the club directory with the main club sites.

However if you read the thread I refer to, the insinuation was the CC "have nothing to do with adults only sites and according to big jimmy don't promote them in anyway. This is a totally false assumption.

Affiliated sites are not just affiliated by paying a fee to the CC. They are inspected on a regular basis in order that they meet club standards at all times.

In fact affiliated sites have been in the past removed by the club from the network due to a failure to maintain standards.

Dave

Edited by Davebelcanto

If it is adults only sites you are looking for via CC there are loads of Adults Only CL's and are much cheaper than some CC sites, (starting at £10. 00 per night incl awning)

Think the Caravan Club makes a brave attempt to please as many members as possible.

That's why I have to stay on sites with smokers, shower blocks, sinks for veg washing etc. dogs and kids.

But we all can live together happily.

Rod

Dave

Surely the point of the original thread was whether the Caravan Club actually had their own 'Adults Only' sites. As you say afiliated sites pay the Club for inclusion in the site directory but that does not make them 'Caravan Club' sites in the true sense of the meaning, ie owned or leased by the Club. Now I suppose its not an unreasonable view to take that, by included them in the site directory, they are condoning such sites. However I don't believe that is the case, I just think they are using the opportunity to offer members more choice and I suspect its most unlikely that we will see Caravan Club owned or leased adult only sites.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I think you're right Dave, because of the wide range of 'interests' the CC has to support within it's membership it can't really be expected to run it's own 'adult only' sites. Those tend to be provided by private owners who are prepared to take the risks of limiting their potential customers but also pleasing those that would prefer not to have kids around at times.

As well as Chew Valley (which is not that near Bath and doesn't really justify the title), I believe there's at least one other affiliated site that advertises that it has a separate 'adults only' area. If memory serves it's in Shropshire somewhere.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Think the Caravan Club makes a brave attempt to please as many members as possible.

That's why I have to stay on sites with smokers, shower blocks, sinks for veg washing etc. dogs and kids.

But we all can live together happily.

Rod

There are plenty of CC sites without showers or veg washing and no CC allows smoking inside its buildings. The bogless sites are often easier to get a pitch on as they are less popular.

I'm not sure if the CC is shamelessly pandering to whims of the well-washed, five-a-day eating, dog owning smokers as such. I suspect its just trying to be as unrestrictive and inclusive as possible in order to maximise potential occupation of pitches whenever sites are open for business. Dog-free sites for adults only might well have to charge more if pitch occupancy was lower and cost per member higher. ... though sites without toilets and showers tend to be cheaper - presumably because fewer staff are required and less service provided. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that some are wardened by volunteers. ...(is that right?)

As others have pointed out, CLs are often adults only. In fact I don't think we come across many children on CLs - even those that are not adults only - presumably because they tend not to make any provision for kids and parents know children are less likely to find play equipment or new playmates on a 5 van CL than on a CC site. If you are allergic to youth, sticking to CLs during the school holidays is worth a try.

I like dogs and children but wish their owners would keep them on a lead and clear up after them properly. Or the dogs at least.

Edited by lottie