Unicorn Valencia Concern

MikeTugger

My wife and I have just enjoyed our first outing with the Valencia. There was quite a lot to take in during our three day 'familiarisation' trip. Despite one or two minor imperfections, we are generally very pleased with the van. However, now on this site, I've come across the comments on the wheel nuts, wheels falling off, and Bailey recalling certain vans for a wheel-bolt 'fix'. Should I be concerned? Do I contact the dealer or Bailey direct to see if my van needs to be recalled? Do any of you know how many Valencias have had wheels falling off?

I've got my torque wrench but I've yet to understand how to set it, or use it! The handbook says the setting for alloy wheels should be 110Ne. (Yet on another thread, there is reference to 160Ne. I'm more confused than ever. (Just thought I would post this to relieve my stress! Thanks guys!)

Mike

Hi Mike,

When did you take delivery of your caravan? If your handbook still makes reference to a torque setting of 110nm then I would think your caravan does not have the new type of wheel bolts fitted. Get back on to your supplying dealer and ask when your van is scheduled to have the new bolts fitted, meanwhile learn how to use your torque wrench and check the existing bolts are set to 110nm. When the new bolts are fitted the torque setting should be 160nm.

You should be concerned .

You do not say how old your caravan is but it may already have the new bolts fitted if it was delivered very recently.

Your first point of contact should be your dealer to ask whether you have the new wheel bolts or not. If not, then you will need to get them changed.

The torque for the new bolts is 160Nm (newton meters)

You should check that your wheel bolts are still tight by checking them with your torque wrench. The torque for the old bolts is 110Nm so if you are unsure which bolts you have you should check them to this.

To use your torque wrench, you dial in the required torque and then tighten til the wrench snaps

Brian

Either Bailey (you need the Vin Number) just call their help line, or your dealer can tell you if your van was subject to the recall. Bailey have a number of posts on their own web site that explains it. Such as this one My link

According to Bailey it was only one production run of certain models that were affected. My van (Manufactured at the end of 2010) was one of them affected so we have been subject of the recall.

Our van is now fitted with modified wheel studs and it is these that are tightened to 160 Ne. Our old studs were at 110Ne as per the handbook. As regards the use of your torque wrench. It should be simplicity itself. Most are pre set to the correct torque and then when you tighten the studs as you reach it they give a visual or by feel 'click' any tyre dealer or garage can show you in seconds. It is always good practice to check your wheel bolts before a tow and takes just a few seconds. In particular check them after the van has been serviced or a wheel replaced after about 30 miles is the recommendation.

If you check the threads on this and other caravan forums such as 'swift talk' You will find that loss of wheels on Vans and other trailers is a common thread on all makes.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Had the bolts replaced on my Valencia last Thursday. Mine was delivered in March this year.

As people have said already the new bolts are torqued to 160nM where the old ones were set to 110.

We have used our van extensively since this problem came to light many months ago and have checked our wheels before each trip and have had no problems.

All you need to do is contact your dealer and check with them if have you the new bolts and then check they are tightened to 160. If you have the old bolts you need to check that they are tightened to 110 and book your van into the Dealers to get them changed.

Enjoy your Valencia, we do!

Regards

Dave

Many thanks for your replies everyone. My van has the shiny wheel bolts and the handbook says 110Nm. So I shall be ringing the dealer and seeking information from Bailey first thing tomorrow. I've checked on Youtube on how to use the torque wrench and I'll be practising that tomorrow too! Thank goodness for this site. I shall sleep a little easier tonight now.

Mike

A very good article in the November 2011 edition of Practical Caravan ref the wheel detachment/ wheel bolts on the Valencia, Madrid and Almeria caravans in which it explains in detail the theory and resolution to the problems. Worth a read Mike, but don't worry, learn how to use your torque wrench and then use it before every journey (as all caranners should) and you will be fine - enjoy your Valencia, it's a superb van !

Thanks Jackyboy

I shall pick up a copy to study. I've now been in touch with my dealer and have arranged to have the new bolts fitted on Friday. Though I can't understand why they would sell me the van, only last week, without already having upgraded the bolts. (According to the Bailey help-line, all Valencias had been recalled for the upgrade.)

My Unicorn Valencia has now done more than 3,000 miles since purchase in December 2010.

Believe me when I say that I do not hang around, within the law, I stick as close to the speedlimits as I can so as not to cause problems for other motorists and I don't really slow down any more with the van than I would otherwise have done when taking corners. I have very good mirrors so always check the line the van is taking. ....

I am still running on the old 110nm bolts as I am waiting for the 1,600kg upgrade 'kit' to arrive at the dealers before making the 70 mile round trip.

I bought a torque wrench before collecting the van and use it religiously.

I have also balanced my wheels, and boy did they need it!

I also bought a reich weight control, which identified a 180kg weight imbalance between the offside (heavier) and the nearside. I thus load the van to ensure that my noseweight is less than 100kg and the weight is balanced across the axle.

Maybe this is overkill, but it makes me feel safer.

PS Practical Caravan is currently available on subscription - I recall the first 3 issues available for just £1. I have just taken advantage of this. ...

Edited by wiz2003

Had the new bolts fitted today. So now we feel a lot safer! I was most impressed by the very efficient and helpful service from all the team at our dealer, Roper's of Catterick. The technician, Adam, took time to instruct me on the use of the torque wrench and the shop staff very kindly showed me how my corner steady drill attachment was fine and that I did not need to buy another. Every member of staff there has excellent customer service skills. They certainly know how to relieve the stresses of newbies. So, five stars for Roper's!

Thanks again for all your comments here, guys.

Mike

Mike,

Good to see you got the bolts replaced.

However, did you find out why the new bolts were not fitted in the first place or at least why the dealer did not tell you they would need replacing?

What date did you take delivery?

Without you checking on this site you would have been non the wiser and I wonder if there are others out there who are unaware.

Brian

Since the wheel bolts had been highlighted i've been checking my bolts every trip? inculding the new replacement bolts & my aloys look like they have done ten rounds with Mike Tyson, all scratch & scored around the bolt area :angry:

Glad your all sorted now Mike, you can look forward to your next trip safe in the knowledge that you have the best equipment, vehicle and training to be as safe as any caravaner can be, enjoy. :)