Alloy Wheels

rodders68

hi all, just read a letter in this months caravan club mag.

re wheel bolts.

it stated that the bolts supplied with the caravan alloys, cannot be used with steel wheels.

as all spares appear to be steel, do we need two sets of bolts?

any comments folk.

cheers rodders B)

Hi Just had my bolts changed on my Unicorn and the dealer said only one set of bolts and no increase on torque for the steel spare

hi all, just read a letter in this months caravan club mag.

re wheel bolts.

it stated that the bolts supplied with the caravan alloys, cannot be used with steel wheels.

as all spares appear to be steel, do we need two sets of bolts?

any comments folk.

cheers rodders B)

Recommend that for something as important as this you contact Bailey customer service for the info. That is what I did a week or two ago and reply was Torque setting for new bolts with dry lubricant 160nm, the same bolts can be used on the steel spare but with torque setting at 120nm but really suggest you get this confirmed by Bailey even if only for your own peace of mind.

Robert

That 's what I was told You use the same bolts but at the lower torque. They even gave me a couple of stickers to put on the steel spare to remind me of the setting.

thanks for your replies, have scoured the hand book and found the data.

use same bolts, lower torque setting, steel (88 nm).

alloys (111 nm).

cheers rodders B)

Rodders,

Strongly recommend you read the handbook again plus look at the other threads on here relating to this.

The Bailey hand book does state wheel bolts for alloy wheels torque 110nm, and for steel wheels 88nm but on the very next page it states something along the lines of when using the steel spare the torque setting is the "same". I queried this with Bailey customer services to confirm if "same" meant the same as the alloy torque i. e 110nm or same as previously stated 88nm. The reply I got stated:

Old type alloy wheel bolts (that is not the ones currently being fitted retrospectively to Unicorns etc) torque setting 110nm

Steel spare with the old type bolts torque setting 110nm

New type bolts with alloy wheels torque setting 160nm

New type bolts with steel spare torque setting 120nm.

Robert

thanks for that, will look again.

cheers rodders B)

• 2 weeks later...

As per our previous articles our wheel detached from our Pegasus.

We have now been told by Baileys that we can use the new bolts at our own expense and the torque will remain at 110Nm.

VOSA recommended to us they would use the new bolts on our Pegasus and confirmed we must do what the manufacturer state.

As this type of bolt has been around for many years it is fairly obvious they will start fitting these to all caravans in the future.

Could somebody please explain to us why we can't use the new torque of 160Nm.

The caravan mag is constantly printing errors, every month we see corrections!

Just received a letter from Bailey with the new torque settings for the Unicorn replacement bolts.