Al-ko 3004 Stabiliser Unhitching Problem

Duffy

Hi

Hope someone can help.

My caravan has the AL-Ko 3004 stabiliser fitted and there is a couple of questions i would like to ask.

First when i want to unhitch the caravan sometimes the stabiliser hitch will not lift cleanly of the tow ball it wants to lift the car as well. The only way sometimes i can get it unhitch is just to reverse the car a little and then try again, any ideas what is happening.

Second on the small black locking lever there is a red/green indicater which reveals if the front/rear fixed pads are worn or whether the 50mm tow ball is worn if that is the case what is the significance of the red/green indicater would it be just the red showing?

Many thanks for any answers or help.

Best regards

John Duffy

Hi John,

The problem you are having is the pressure of the hitch on the ball, if you check next time it happens you will probably find that the damper is pushed in a little and this causes the friction between the pads and ball to stop it releasing. When you come to a stop the caravan still moves a short distance until the damper goes in to operate the brakes and stop it, so after you have come to a halt if you just gently edge forward this will pull the damper out and you should be able to disengage ok.

The indicator on the black handle should always show some green, if it is all red then it is time for new pads.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

As the hitch clamps under the ball, it needs a bit of free movement to come off. Therefore if there should be no tension on the hitch, it comes of easy. You may have to move either the car or caravan before unhitching so the hitch is not at the extreme end of its travel. Al-Ko say the pads are good for 30,000 miles so thats a lot of towing before they wear out. The green indication shows everything is OK

This link may help

http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/brochures/AKS3004%20STABILISER. pdf

Brian

Hi John,

The problem you are having is the pressure of the hitch on the ball, if you check next time it happens you will probably find that the damper is pushed in a little and this causes the friction between the pads and ball to stop it releasing. When you come to a stop the caravan still moves a short distance until the damper goes in to operate the brakes and stop it, so after you have come to a halt if you just gently edge forward this will pull the damper out and you should be able to disengage ok.

The indicator on the black handle should always show some green, if it is all red then it is time for new pads.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

I had same problem with the older type alko hitch lock a few times on my 2001 bailey

tried to move presure off made no diffrence pushed pulled

but after changed the friction pad no more problems

I have the same problem If I reverse the caravan, I just pull forward to release the pressure and everything Is ok

It's funny because with our's I find the opporsite is true I have to back the car up slightly to compress the kit a little bit to get it off, this might be because the storage pitch slopes down hill and the van rolls back and "stretches" the hitch too much. I guess the key is to the caravan neither pulling or pushing the car.

• 6 years later...

Just had the same problem with my relatively new Coachman. Only used the caravan 4 times since new and when unhitching, the hitch was tight, and when it came off the front friction pad fell out on the floor. Anyone got any experience in fixing this issue? I need it fixed quickest as we have other trips planned soon.

14 minutes ago, Bikester said:

Just had the same problem with my relatively new Coachman. Only used the caravan 4 times since new and when unhitching, the hitch was tight, and when it came off the front friction pad fell out on the floor. Anyone got any experience in fixing this issue? I need it fixed quickest as we have other trips planned soon.

I expect you have smashed the front friction pad; the newer 3004 seem to be getting a bit of that.

Page 17 here gives some info:

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/aks3004handbookwhitedigital. pdf

This vender is about as cheap as I have seen:

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/ALKO-AL-KO-FRICTION-KIT-FRONT-REAR-PAD-PADS-AKS-3004-STABILISER-691418-/171898502030

Always remove that front to back or side to side loading when uncoupling.

Also when coupling up don't let the hitch drop down on the ball, have the release handle open well before you lower onto the ball, so it does not snap on so violently, or things will get expensive!

Edited by JTQ

On 11/09/2011 at 15:53, BrianI said:

As the hitch clamps under the ball, it needs a bit of free movement to come off. Therefore if there should be no tension on the hitch, it comes of easy. You may have to move either the car or caravan before unhitching so the hitch is not at the extreme end of its travel. Al-Ko say the pads are good for 30,000 miles so thats a lot of towing before they wear out. The green indication shows everything is OK

This link may help

http://shop. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/brochures/AKS3004%20STABILISER. pdf

Brian

The red/green marker on the handle should show some green or the front rear pads are worn out as Duffy points out.  

Mine are fine but the arrow indicator on the main hitch lever was against the red lines showing side pads ready for replacement at 12,000 miles.   I too read 30,000 as the norm.

Just relating this as a warning to check when next you hitch up.   It's a 2 minute job to replace if necessary of course.  

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg.