Vectra Tow Bar + Electrics

Hayden

Ive just got a new vectra (08) and was just going to get a tow bar off ebay but I have read a few things about "tec 2"?? Im told I can buy the wiring kit from Vauxhall is it a simple pulg and play? I dont want my local garage to fit it then have to take it to vauxhall to do the electrics.

Anyone got a Vectra? how much did you pay? what bar you got ?

Thanks

Stuart

Just seen this post mate. ...

If you go for the VX wiring loom (recommended), it will need enabling via Tech2 at your local dealer. This basically will turn the towbar wiring system on in the ECU parameters.

I would recommend getting Vauxhall to do the work if your budget can stretch to it.

I have a witter towbar (originally fitted by a cowboy) and the electrics are standard join into the existing wiring type (also fitted by aforementioned cowboy) and although he provided me with a headache when I couldn't work out why the fog lights didn't work, first on the caravan, fitter did not like getting stuck behind vans with there fog lights on so didn't bother conecting it (your starting to see why I refer to him as a cowboy now aren't you!) Then once the van fog lights were working why my nearside fog light wasn't working any more (yes, he removed the wire from the car fog light to supply the caravan electrics!)

You get what you pay for, and I got the bar at cost price but I suppose if I was paying fitted rate then I would have considered the proper Vauxhall compatible loom and tech 2ing it.

hi hayden

i thought about fitting a tow bar myself, but after a chat with a friend i decided against it. his avice was

let a proffesional tow bar fitter do the job and if you have a problem with it just take it back to them. he

let his local garage fit his tow bar but had a problem with charging his caravan battery so ended up taking

it to a tow bar fitter. i have a vauxhall vectra estate and took it to a local tow bar man and had a bosal

detatchable taw bar fitted. it cost me £350 fitted and i am happy with it. although it only gets detatched

when i know i wont be towing for some time. reason is they are a bit fiddly to attatch and detatch. the tow bar

came from towsure.

cheers

steven

I used to have a Vectra and when I spoke to the vauxhall salesman who I have known for years he told me to go to the local towbar fitter as that's where they send all of their cars for towbars and electrics at 2/3 of the vauhall price. Any decent towbar fitter will use a vehicle specific wiring kit and will be able to set the electronics correctly as they do nowdays with just about every vehicle. I use a firm that has been on the go for well over 30 years and as far as I know nearly all of the local new car dealers use them to fit towbars / wiring for new cars.

Edited by dave11a

So if I use a decent towbar fitter/company will they use the vauxhall wiring kit? will I have to take it to vauxhall to have this tec2 thing done or will they have the equipment to do it?

So if I use a decent towbar fitter/company will they use the vauxhall wiring kit? will I have to take it to vauxhall to have this tec2 thing done or will they have the equipment to do it?

If they are a good towbar fitting service they will usually have all the software and computer system required to update the cars electronics and If you ask for a vehicle specific wiring kit ( most will fit these anyway) there should be no conflicts with the cars systems. Ask around your area as to who has the best reputation, remember cheapest is not always the best.

Hayden, have a look on Vectra-c. com. Great forum and really helpful members.

Yea had a look on there lots of mixed opinons, Spoke to a local company who have been going for over 20 years and have been recomended to me and on the phone they said they just splice in to the wiriring and have nothing to do with the vauxhall wiring kit

Yea had a look on there lots of mixed opinons, Spoke to a local company who have been going for over 20 years and have been recomended to me and on the phone they said they just splice in to the wiriring and have nothing to do with the vauxhall wiring kit

In my opinion I would steer clear of them blink.gif

Hayden, have a look on Vectra-c. com. Great forum and really helpful members.

This is good advice as one thread has a list of members with Tech2 or vauxcom/op-com and who could code the car for you.

I had an 08 Vectra est & fitted the towbar & electrics myself.

The mechanical bits are easy. I took out most of the boot lining ( Torx bits required ) then there are few dimples above the rear chassis rails. You need to drill these out, I can't remeber the size, but I used a conical hole cutter. I think it's just clearance for 17mm (?).

Then you slip 6 lengths of pipe into each hole, place a plate over the top of the pipe & driop in 6 off 12mm bolts. Offer up the towbar & fit the nyloc nuts & your done!

Longest part is taking the boot liner in & out.

The electrics are plug & play. Again running the cables in is straightforward, & there is a multi plug which plugs into the fuse box.

Theer is a module then to plug into the fuse box, but the ball ache for me was you need to pop in a 30amp fuse into one of the empty slots to get the power on.

If you need any more info drop me a pm, I have all the bits in the garage, as the car has been changed to the much inferior insignia.