Caravan Club Advice Required

Barry J

I'm thinking of trying the CC again (we already have C&CC membership).

When we first got the van about 5 years ago, we tried both for a year, but didn't really use the van enough or understand the subtle differences to make an informed judgement.

I cancelled the CC after the year (don't even remember why now, except that having dual membership seemed a bit of a waste of money and we weren't getting the benefit out of having both).

Having used the van a bit more and read peoples advice and opinions on Caravan Chat, I'm thinking about re-joining.

Looking through the CC website and site search, I was interested in "CC member only" sites which are "adults only".

There doesn't appear to be a filter for this ?? they only seem to filter "adults only sites" on the CL sites ?

Of course, this could mean that none of their "member only" sites are "adults only" and all accept children ??

Guidance please ?

Looking through the CC website and site search, I was interested in "CC member only" sites which are "adults only".

There doesn't appear to be a filter for this ?? they only seem to filter "adults only sites" on the CL sites ?

Of course, this could mean that none of their "member only" sites are "adults only" and all accept children ??

Guidance please ?

The Caravan Club does not have any "Adults Only" sites other than any of their CLs which might have made that their own criteria.

Guidance please ?

Barry J you have got it one, brilliant well done. ................... In my opinion so many parts of the Caravan Club is next to useless, however I am still a member and I don't even own a caravan these days !!

The Caravan Club are only too willing to accept advertising from the countless dozens of 'Adults Only' caravan and camping sites and yet they will almost never carry any kind of publicity for and about them in their magazine because they know that they will receive a deluge of letters complaining about sites which exclude children. .............. oh shock horror !!

Possibly if you go onto another site: - UKCS/ and then do a search not only in the UK but also across Europe for Adults Only sites you will find quite a large number listed.

Or you could try this website as well: - http://www. adultcampsites. com/

If you are ever over in France then there are a few Adult Only sites over here as well as I hear in a few other countries with quite a groundswell of movement in Holland.

But going back to your original question, I would suggest that the CC is far more for you as the C&CC is very much more of a family orientated/directed club.

Bonne chance

The lack of adult only, CC member only, sites is not a problem for us.

Just trying to justify an additional membership to myself !!!

At the moment, I find that whatever CC members site I look at, is fully booked 2-3 weeks in advance, which takes the shine off impulsive "taking off if the forecast is good", which is one of the great benefits of a van to us.

I strongly suspect that members are booking on the off-chance and then cancelling, to ensure that they have an option on their favourite site for the forthcoming weekends.

If this is the case, its a big "X" mark for the CC in my eyes.

I might just be better off staying with what I have and using commercial sites that have good reviews or are recommended for CT members.

Edited by Barry J

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you.

I have found the CC to be excellent in all respects the fact that it does not discriminate against children as opposed to the narrow minded site that exclude a large part of society.

On another point it's good to see a post on here from you that has not turned into an advert for your campsite.

Stu

Barry J you have got it one, brilliant well done. ................... In my opinion so many parts of the Caravan Club is next to useless, however I am still a member and I don't even own a caravan these days !!

The Caravan Club are only too willing to accept advertising from the countless dozens of 'Adults Only' caravan and camping sites and yet they will almost never carry any kind of publicity for and about them in their magazine because they know that they will receive a deluge of letters complaining about sites which exclude children. .............. oh shock horror !!

Possibly if you go onto another site: - UKCS/ and then do a search not only in the UK but also across Europe for Adults Only sites you will find quite a large number listed.

Or you could try this website as well: - http://www. adultcampsites. com/

If you are ever over in France then there are a few Adult Only sites over here as well as I hear in a few other countries with quite a groundswell of movement in Holland.

But going back to your original question, I would suggest that the CC is far more for you as the C&CC is very much more of a family orientated/directed club.

Bonne chance

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you.

I have found the CC to be excellent in all respects the fact that it does not discriminate against children as opposed to the narrow minded site that exclude a large part of society.

On another point it's good to see a post on here from you that has not turned into an advert for your campsite.

Stu

Stu

Well said in every respect.

DeeTee

Us old effers quite like CC sites because we know what standards/booking/rules they have, but we use their sites mostly out of season, so there are only usually pre-school kids if any. We quite like to see a little bit of variety in the surrounding population, old and young.

However if we want an adults only site we go with Tranquil Holiday Parks.

Jimbo

Variations of this topic seem to appear with each cohort of new contributors to CT forums and a simple search will reveal the previous discussions. A summary of the previous related topics seems to suggest divided opinion on the benefits or otherwise of the individual clubs. These opinions often relate to only one specific aspect of the clubs' services, such as whether or not the magazine is worthwhile, the booking system or behaviour on site etc.

The caravanning clubs exist for the benefit of their members who agree to abide by the rules of the respective clubs. The rules of the clubs are available on line for anyone to read before joining, so if they do not suit anyone's specific requirements they don't need to join.

Sometimes CT contributors only appear to join a caravanning club for one specific service and spend the rest of their membership year and beyond moaning about the rules or services they don't happen to want.

The Caravan Club does not have any "Adults Only" sites other than any of their CLs which might have made that their own criteria.

Just following on from Rob's point aboue I think the only adults only site in the Club directory is Stroud Hill and that is a private site that has an association with the Club. I don't think the Club could have their own members/adults only sites as it would be against the whole idea of the Club as being for families to enjoy. I have been a member of the Club for 30 years, our lads were very young then and now we use their excellent sites on our own.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

There are several sites that although they are not "adult" only, are to all intents and purposes adult only as they are either in the middle of nowhere or have no facilities onsite or nearby for children, an example would be Chard. We stayed a few days last summer and I would say there were less than a dozen children on site and they were mainly <7/8 years old.

There can be difficulties getting onto sites, but you either book well in advance, or hope for a last minute cancellation, if you live within striking range of several sites then you will stand a good chance of getting away whenever. There are also a lot of CL sites which could well suit.

WRT DeeTees comments, I suspect that personal circumstances change from time to time and those services that were irrelevant will become invaluable. Initially we had basic membership, we now insure the caravan with the CC and we now use their breakdown service(never actually called them out - yet). The overseas booking service seems irrelevant at the moment, but you never know what tomorrow will bring. There are always people complaining about club rules or the abuse of them, but in some cases they may have a valid point, like the constant complaints about people that arrive early and block the exits to some sites as a result. Yet you never seem to see any meaningful discussion from the CC about changing rules and developing the club to change with the times. .... Hillhead at Brixham is an exception, and IMO a type of site we would like to see more of under CC control, the best of both worlds.

The OP question has been answered - I have drawn a conclusion and thanks for the input.

Other people can draw other conclusions if they wish, but it was I who asked the question.

If individuals want to go off on a hobby horse about CC vs. C&CC AGAIN, then thats up to you.

I can't help thinking that a minority on here hijack threads to secure points on their favourite pet hates and grudges.

I think most forum questions have been asked at one time or another.

This is common to all niche forums, irrespective of the subject.

If everybody just read what had been written before (assuming that they can find it), it would make for a pretty static (and boring) forum.

Of course, people are at liberty to not reply if they feel they are repeating themselves (or they could just provide a link to the relevant post if they know where to find it).

Edited by Barry J

The OP question has been answered - I have drawn a conclusion and thanks for the input.

Other people can draw other conclusions if they wish, but it was I who asked the question.

And this is the first post where you have said you now have enough information to make a decision.

If individuals want to go off on a hobby horse about CC vs. C&CC AGAIN, then thats up to you.

I can't help thinking that a minority on here hijack threads to secure points on their favourite pet hates and grudges.

That will always happen, moderators do their best - get over it.

I think most forum questions have been asked at one time or another.

Of course most of the questions have all been asked before, but crucially the answer may not necessarily be the same today as it was yesterday.

This is common to all niche forums, irrespective of the subject.

If everybody just read what had been written before (assuming that they can find it), it would make for a pretty static (and boring) forum.

Of course, people are at liberty to not reply if they feel they are repeating themselves (or they could just provide a link to the relevant post if they know where to find it).