Car Or Caravan

bilbo

I own an Olympus 504 and a car with a 75 kgs noseweight ( mondeo 06 tdci ghia ) which I cant come close to.

I am not going to fill water containers and flushes etc right at the back and risk stability, or move gass bottles about in the van or car, so its change the van or car.

100 kgs noseweight needed if its the car and I dont want to spend a fortune on tax insurance and running costs buying a luxury car or 4x4.

I dont want to spend a fortune changing either.

Any help appreciated.

Not many tow cars will give you a 100kgs nose weight limit apart from 4X4 type vehicle and the nose weight would need to be under 100kgs if its a Alko hitch . Droping 25kgs from the front is in effect moving only 12kgs from front to rear .

Dave

The spare wheel is around 20kg. stow it inside the caravan

(after the axle) move it till you get the noseweight.

You are then dealing with a known weight that you always carry

Edited by gumdrop

I also have the 504 and am towing it with an XC 90, I normally tow with a nose weight of just below 90kg. Our battery is behind the axle, we don't have a mover and I only ever tow with 1 gas bottle in the locker. I do tend to place the heavier items on or just behind the axle, but I don't back load and never use water as ballast. I cant see the mover making a huge difference to the nose weight as its close to the axle low down, ditching 1 of the gas bottles should make a big difference and loading on or slightly behind the axle will probably do the trick. I have a nose weight gauge and check my weights before leaving home and tinker around to reach the right weight.

Losing a gas bottle is cheaper than changing the car.

M

Have you changed your gas bottles to Calor lite? That could save on your noseweight, also consider using an underslung spare wheel carier. If you still wish to change your car, the Rover 75 has a noseweight limit of 100kg and the prices are good.

I am going to move as much as I can to see if its possible to safely load and get the noseweight down to 75 kgs.

We are taking the van out over the next few days after waiting for the wind to drop and ill let you know what noseweight i get down too.

If not it looks like a mk4 mondeo or a rover 75.

Thanks for all the help.