Breathable Groundsheets.

Thingy

For many years, we have used the Softex groundsheets, cheap and cheerful I know, but I do find them rather bulky and indeed heavy. Having never tried any of the others, and being at the point that we need to replace our old and trusty, I would like to know what you guys use. In particular, Im looking for something that folds neater, and smaller than Softex and is also lighter. I know there is some very expensive stuff out there, which Im not looking for, rather a compromise between price and the aforementioned points.

Edited by Thingy

I got my breathable groundsheet from Towsure - not too expensive - you can cut and sew it if they're not quite the right size - really quite light - washes well and dries (on the clothesline at home) well. Really quite pleased. When the ground is REALLY MUDDY I put a small cheap "rip-stock" groundsheet under the heavy traffic areas to stop the mud coming through :rolleyes:

Jim

Have sent you a PM re an Isabella Bolen we have in the loft. Could be cheaper than you think.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Bolon is good stuff, lasts forever, is breathable and packs away nice and tight

We've got that thing called Carpetina which you can get in all caravan shops - about £25 for a piece 3m x 2. 5m (we use 2 in our awning). They're about the same thickness as a heavy tablecloth, so very light and easy to fold up.

Washed it for the first time after our last trip and it came up almost like new. However, we've had them 2 years and they're starting to get a couple of holes in them. If it's muddy already on our pitch, we put a tarp down underneath. Rather defeats the object but these things (and I assume all breathable stuff will be the same) are not in the least waterproof.

I did see them for sale with peg holes in each corner, which would be really helpful because we're always rucking ours up.

Edited by nelmo

We used to use Kampa easy tread, needed something larger for our new awning. We bought carpetina, but I think I prefer the kampa, it's that little bit thicker and hides dirty patches well. I'd buy the kampa again and certainly recommend it, it's a little bit rough underfoot but that's all I can say on the negative side.

Nicky

• 2 weeks later...

We have used windbreak material from the garden centre. It seems to be polypropylene, is green and light weight and does the job we need. It is sold in about 4 ft widths so I have sewn two pieces together to cover the awning floor. Fortunately it has never been needed on a muddy site as I am sure the mud would seep through. Rinsing it out at home would not be a problem with a garden hose as it does not absorb water.