Is Southport That Popular ?

Barry J

At some point in time there is an air show in or around Southport, apparently the site is more popular than usual at that time. Not sure when it is or if that would account for the heavy bookings you describe.

Thanks but the airshow is in July.

They have two sorts of pitch; one with awning and one without.

The withouts are completely blocked out so are probably not on offer, but the others are also really busy.

If I have to book 2 months in advance it kind of takes the impulsiveness out of vanning.

Edited by Barry J

We had a similar issue with the bristol cc site where we wanted to spend the weekend visiting friends. Completely booked up three months in advance. If you can hold your nerve, keep watching the website. We picked up the Saturday and Sunday night about three weeks before and the Friday night a few days later. Not ideal but worth a try if you really want to stay there for a particular purpose.

you have to book that you want on a awning pitchsame price

try that on line at caravan clubsite bookings

or phone the site direct

We have family in Southport and wanted to go visit.

Looking at the CC site, it seems to be virtually fully booked for the whole of September and October.

Its a 100 pitch site - am I missing something ??

Hi Barry. Try Abbey Farm Caravan Park just outside of Ormskirk in Dark Lane. Tel 01695-572826.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Thanks - I had looked at the one at Ormskirk but just thought the CC one would be nearer.

I was even prepared to join the CC despite already having membership of the C&CC.

Is it a nice site at Ormskirk - do you have personal experience ?

Edited by Barry J

Thanks - I had looked at the one at Ormskirk but just thought the CC one would be nearer.

I was even prepared to join the CC despite already having membership of the C&CC.

Is it a nice site at Ormskirk - do you have personal experience ?

Hi Barry. The Abbey Farm site is a nice site,I only live 4miles from it and was going to store a Twin Axle caravan there. At the time they only had storage on meadow,I did not take them up. It is in Abbey Lane at the junction of Dark Lane & Blythe Lane,it is actually Lathom but comes under Ormskirk.

The site was clean & well kept and in a good location for children. It has one road in and the same one out. It can be approached from two directions.

Depending on the size of your outfit will depend upon your direction of approach,knowing the area I would come in from the M58 and and head for Skelmersdale Old Town and then onto towards Ormskirk. on the A577 then into Plough Lane and follow through it becomes Hall Lane heading towards Burscough.

Very close to the end of Hall Lane is a MINI ISLAND,50/60yds before it turn left into Hobcross Lane,that becomes Blythe Lane. The caravan park is on your right approx 2miles down the lane.

With a car & no caravan Southport is a 20-30 minute drive depending where in Southport you are going.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Southport site gets busy because its the only one there, the Royal Umpire is 8 miles northeast of Southport in Ulnes Walton/ Croston. Its a commercial site with all the bells and whistles that go along with that style of site but it seems popular.

Visited Southport in May this year it was full all the time then, understand from the wardens that it is usually fully booked from Easter to October / November. I have to say I wonder why, it was a usual CC site with good facilities but I failed to find what the attraction of the Southport area is.

ElBeardo smile.gif

Visited Southport in May this year it was full all the time then, understand from the wardens that it is usually fully booked from Easter to October / November. I have to say I wonder why, it was a usual CC site with good facilities but I failed to find what the attraction of the Southport area is.

ElBeardo smile.gif

Similarly, whenever I have visited some of the South Wales resorts and "attractions" I have failed to see what the attraction was.

There could be a lot of nostalgia attached to both Southport and the South Wales resorts.

Traditionally Southport has been a convenient resort to visit from what were the mill towns and mining areas of the north west.

ElBeardo smile.gif

Hi Elbeardo. Well each to their own. Southport & the surrounding area has many many treasures. It also is quite a resort with the sea at it's back and approaches from the South,East & West. It has some very nice Sand Dunes along the coastline back towards Formby;the home of the Red Squirrel .

Both Liverpool & Preston are within easy striking distance & Blackpool is only a short run from Preston.

The main shopping area of Southport is normally a Hive of Activity and there is a Theatre that attracts a great many Top Line Artists.

The town has a good East to West Coastal Road that helps avoid the slowness of the town centre. The only downside is the approach from the South,it can be like a Giant Conga without the musical accompaniment.

Being armed and at the ready with a sutable area guide/A-Z is the trick.

I myself never go into an unfamiliar town or locality (especially with a 26ft caravan on the back) without being suitably prepared.

Looking at the CC site, it seems to be virtually fully booked for the whole of September and October.

Century House Certificated Site

100 Turning Lane

Scarisbrick

Southport

Merseyside

PR8 5HZ

Tel: 01704 535164

Pitches:

Open: March To October

Reviews: 2

Read Review Submit Review

Please mention the UKCS. co. uk when you book or enquire!

The above site is very close to Southport centre, we have visited a few times, and it is very good.

Reasons for the apparent popularity of the Southport site may be because it is a Members only site and it is within easy reach of densely populated areas of the North West.

Lord st is very popular for the shoppers then there are those who come determined to have a paddle walk miles and still not get your feet wet so they keep coming back for another try B)

we use willowbank near ainsdale when visiting family over there . not keen on the club site at southport dont like the narrow layout of it or the public footpath running through it either.

I have never managed to get a pitch on southport, I can't phone site direct due to work, I will book the time of with in about 3 weeks of lead time then find a site to stay on,i usualy stay on forby point now anyway as it's hard standing cheap & great for walking in the sand dunes as its right on the beach. another good site near by southport is Shaw Hall, there all fully serviced & open all year round i think

Coming in a bit late on this one, just thought I would say that there is a C&CC site although very small next to the yatch club and the marine lake and a stones throw from the pier the entrance is from the sea wall (I think ?) . However where ever you stay I am sure you will find lots to do and I hope you have a great stay in our town. If you need any assistance with your stayin Southport please post and we will try our best to help.

SG

Edited by sandgrounder

`FULL OF SCOUSERS !!!! away for the weekend

NO NO NO. It is full of others SOAKING UP the splendour & enjoying what this region of Lancashire & Merseyside is all about B).

Edited by TheTravellingRooster