Caravan Club Or Camping And Caravanning Club

Pons Aelius

We just reviewed our first camping summer and concluded that CCC was a complete waste of time. .....................

. ...............Rallies looked a bit of a joke with pics of people marching along with flags !

As has already been pointed out there are good points and not so good points about both clubs but I'm not sure which 'pics of people marching along with flags' was seen by Ellisfield who has obviously never been on a district association rally.

Whatever it was (Nuremberg in the 30s perhaps?) it doesn't seem like any C&CC rally that I've ever attended :rolleyes:

I regularly attend C&CC rallies haven't marched anywhere with flags since I was in the Boys Brigade 50 years ago :lol:

It's often said that the C&CC tends to be a little bit more child friendly than the CC, there are lots of young families who go on weekend rallies which represent a reasonably inexpensive way to make the maximum use of your caravan in some nice places which are sometimes not ordinarily available to non ralliers.

The CC hosts rallies as well, the difference being that CC rallies tend to be pre booked and with C&CC meets you can simply turn up ( or not) depending on the weather.

Abbey Cardinal Vogue 620

Mitsubishi 2. 8 Fieldmaster LWB Pajero

Does this suggest C&CC pitches/sites are simply less popular or less in demand than CC ones? If so why might that be?

Or is there something else about the C&CC set up which makes late availability more likely?

Well in the many discussions we have had here it is clear from what people have said that they will book a CC site as a first preference because they don't want to pay a deposit. Anyother aspect that might make a difference is that the C&CC has a fair proportion of tent campers who may be less prepared to book months in advance. We just spent all of September in Scotland using CC sites and had no trouble booking sites albeit last year a few days after the annual bun fight and we had little problem changing bookings en route because of changing conditions and this was not because the sites were empty, in fact all the site we used were pretty full. Have to say I am not a member of the C&CC but had a look at their Glencoe site when we were there and it looked very nice.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

• 4 weeks later...

I've joined the CCC and have booked a CS for this weekend and another for next weekend, so I'll see what they are like.

I think I'll join the CC too, as suggested by others, then I can judge which one is best or stay in both.

Edited by Pons Aelius

Vauxhall Insignia towing Abbey Somerset GT

A friend of mine with a VW camper asked if he should join the CC or C&CC

He was particularly interested in staying on Certificated Locations and Sites but as the camper has no onboard loo wanted to know about CL and CS toilet facilities.

I have stayed on CC CLs but never on a C&CC CS.

Do the C&CC certificated sites also allow tents on them?

If they do, does this mean they are more likely to have toilets etc than CLs?

I understand 40% of CC CLs have toilets and 22% have showers.

Do the C&CC certificated sites also allow tents on them?

One of my bugbears with C&CC CS's is that there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of tents they are allowed to fit in. I've tried to clarify the point but I read different things in different places.

We stayed at a perfectly nice CS in a small field in the back of a pub a couple of years ago. There were 5 caravans when we arrived on the Friday afternoon (incl us) which was fine but they also crammed in 6 tents for the weekend ! You could hardly move ! At least with the Caravan Club you know the limit is 5 vans so you can look at the size of the space and make a reasoned decision. Who knows how many units you could end up with in a CS !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I have been to a few CC CL's where the 5 van limit was not enforced!

Blind eye comes to mind. Money makes the world go round!

Do the C&CC certificated sites also allow tents on them?.

The Camping and Caravan started out with only Tents many years ago.

The Camping and Caravanning Club At 108-years-old.

The Camping and Caravanning Club is the world's oldest.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

This is a C&CC 5 van site I used last week, between Cardiff and Newport. Ty-Coch Farm, £14. 00 a night. EHU 16 amp, hard standing or grass, toilets, showers, dish washing area.

They do take tents, plenty of grass and also EHU on grass pitches. The rule is, no more than 5 caravans but can also have tents as well (limit ?), have been on this site with 5 vans and 6 tents, but it does have plenty of room for everybody.

My unit is on the right.

CCC5vansiteTy-CochFarmbetweenNewportandCardiff.jpg

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

One of my bugbears with C&CC CS's is that there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of tents they are allowed to fit in.

So they do include tents. Many thanks for that info. Does it follow then that C&CC certificated sites are more likely to have site toilets than CC CLs, most of which don't have toilets?

Edited by lottie

So they do include tents. Many thanks for that info. Does it follow then that C&CC certificated sites are more likely to have site toilets than CC CLs, most of which don't have toilets?

No I don't think so.

But - as stated above 40% of CL's have WC's. Probably about the same for CS's !

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Does this suggest C&CC pitches/sites are simply less popular or less in demand than CC ones? If so why might that be?

Or is there something else about the C&CC set up which makes late availability more likely?

For me it's because on a CL I know there will only be 5 vans. On a CS there could be be 5 vans and 50 tents ! Plus there seems to be more Adult Only CL's than CS's - but I could be wrong on that one.

For me it's because on a CL I know there will only be 5 vans. On a CS there could be be 5 vans and 50 tents ! Plus there seems to be more Adult Only CL's than CS's - but I could be wrong on that one.

Shirl: According to C&CC

"What is a Certificated Site?

Smaller, privately run camp sites, only available to members.

They house just five caravans or motorhomes, and up to ten tents unless express permission is granted by The Camping and Caravanning Club."

Not clear whether "express permission" means for a one-off event or a year round dispensation. I think the legal wrinkle that allows CSs and CLs to exist without planning permission relates only to caravans since I guess tents are by definition temporary. So presumably the CS tent rules are laid down by C&CC rather than the law.

If the availability of loos on C&CC certificated sites is a similar proportion to the 40% of CC sites then here would be more CLs available with loos simply becuase there are twice as many CLs as CSs. I guess the same logic would apply to adult-only sites. Only 14% of the 2,500 CLs are adult only according to the CC but that would suggest there are about 350 adult only CLs whereas 14% of 1,200 CSs is about 170. Of course the figure of 14% might well not apply to C&CC CSs. The C&CC describes itself as the family friendly club so the number of adult only sites might be fewer than this. Though it is possible to select adult only when making an online booking.

A further factor in the total availability of adult-only pitches might also be the length of time a site is open. Two thirds of CLs are open all-year according to CC .

Edited by lottie